Wine Talk

Snooth User: spikedc

1811 Chateau d'Yquem

Posted by spikedc, Jul 26, 2011.

Just seen this on the local news, £75,000 bottle of wine..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...

Replies

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Jul 26, 2011.

It is also here on Snooth already!!

Most Expensive White Wine

Reply by spikedc, Jul 26, 2011.

Sorry Guys, for repeating !

Reply by dmcker, Jul 27, 2011.

Two comments regarding your article, Greg:

• the restaurant business in Bali must be doing well!
  • what sort of mentality wants to spend a quarter mil on a bottle of 140 year old Lafite that he'd be foolish to open? Even staying with Lafite, how many '82s would that buy (or whatever other vintage RP would give 100pts to)? Much less some other great wines with just a little better qpr?
Reply by Stephen Harvey, Jul 31, 2011.

I guess collecting rare old bottles is like art

I suspect these are now such curios that they will never be drank

Stiil I think it all helps to create the mystique that makes wine fun

Reply by dmcker, Jul 31, 2011.

So Stephen, is it fun that the Chinese (and the Bordelaise boys and girls) have priced first growths out of the reach of anyone with a fiscal head on their shoulders?

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Jul 31, 2011.

D - I think there is a distinction between the more current wines and 200 yo curios

I have no issue with atmospheric pricing for the very old and rare - the world of wine, art, cars etc will always throw up something that is rare and old and important to someone who is willing and able to pay a high price. I have problem in priinciple with that.

The issue of recent vintages and market pressure is an interesting debate

We see this phenonomen applying to some degree for all of the "top end" wines

Super Tuscans, DRC's, Some Cali Cabs eg Screaming Eagle, Aussie Cults eg Torbreck, Velvet Glove etc et al

I guess we as consumers can only judge what our budget can stand and drink what we like the best within those constraints, if buyers with more disposable income push up prices then that is the market.  Is it fun or fair, probably not,  but it is the reality of the world we live in.

Fortunately there is so many interesting and affordable [for any definition of affordable] wines made in todays world so we consumers will always be able to find fun wines to try and talk about.

In a strange and perverted way I find it quite amusing that people are spending such large amounts of money on a "drink".  I also think that they will ultimately wake up with the usual fiscal hangover when the market bottoms....

Reply by dmcker, Aug 1, 2011.

Stephen, I assume you mean "I have no problem in priinciple with that"?

Will be interesting to see how the Bordelaise (and DRC and a very few others--don't think the market pressure on Screaming Eagle or SQN is from the Chinese; you can answer about the Aussie) react when the bottom falls from a Chinese crash in the next few years.

Plenty of other consumables that people pay "such large amoungs of money on"....

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Aug 1, 2011.

I have no problem in principle.... yes sorry typo

On the Aussie Cults it is still US buyers driving up prices despite dire warnings that some of the high alcohol, super ripe styles are not lasting, I guess NY investment bankers never learn!!!!!!

I suspect the Bordelaise et al will scurry back to their respective chateaux and wait for the next "boom economy sucker" to turn up.  History does have a habit of repeating itself

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
78 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
73 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
61 posts

Categories