Wine Talk

Snooth User: Snoother 1331734

100 year old Russian wine lost in sea

Posted by Snoother 1331734, Aug 14, 2013.

We have the location of two barges that were sunk by German subs in 1941 here in the Black Sea and each barge was carrying thousands of bottles of VE Tairovo "Extremely Rare Wines" and Brandy. Each bottle is quite valuable. We seek investors/partners in the salvage operation. Our email is: sirwilliam5333@aol.com

I am american businessman Bill Warren living here near the wrecks in Sevastopol, Ukraine. We estimate the value of each bottle to be more than $1,000

1 2 next

Replies

Reply by Richard Foxall, Aug 14, 2013.

SCAM ALERT!

Okay, I approved this post for publication, but I'm almost 100% sure this is a scam.  I looked on wine-searcher for a history of Tairovo wines, and they indicate that the winery has no working email.  As if an account had been created by someone, then deleted.  So it's impossible to verify if they existed.  Absolutely no data on the winery on CT or here either.  No auction information that I searched says anything at all about the maker.  They don't have a website or show up on any lists of Ukrainian wines (there's one on wine-searcher that you can link to from a May 2013 article on Ukrainian wine.)  So, first there's that.

Then I checked the history of Black Sea Naval campaigns.  Love the Internet, folks, but it doesn't really slow some people down very much.  Here's what I learned:  Turkey was neutral during WW II so the Axis had to ship their boats to the Black Sea by rivers, roads and trains.  The first Axis subs did not arrive until 1942.  Makes it kind of hard to sink anything the year before. So how about a mention of the names of the barges, the dates of the sinkings, and links to anything credible that would make this halfway likely?  So far, none provided.  And why do we think these bottles are worth $1000?  Any auction data?  If there were thousands of these bottles, why would they be particularly valuable?  Hmm.

Finally, there's that "Whittaker Walt" sound to "I am american businessman," not "I am the American business man Bill Warren," or, "I am an American business man, Bill Warren..." 

So why did I approve the post?  First, as a warning.  Regular posters might receive messages or see this on other sitess.  Secondly, to show that a little skepticism and a little research are all it takes.

Are you listening, Bill Koch?  Or do you intentionally buy fraudulent bottles so you can sue people?  I can think of a lot of interesting things to do with a billion bucks, but different strokes, I guess.

Reply by EMark, Aug 14, 2013.

Good work, Fox.  Reading your note was interesting and informative.

Also, it is obvious that we have similar tastes in movies. 

EhMAYRdzhensee.  EHvereewon to get off street.

My parents loved that movie and let us stay up late to watch it whenever it was on television.  Showed it to my kids and they thought it was pretty darn funny, too. 

Now I only have to worry that I ticked off some criminal syndicate in Odessa.  Or Bill Koch, but he didn't much care for me when I was one of his gardeners, either.

Reply by outthere, Aug 14, 2013.

Almost 100% sure? What part threw you off, the sirwilliam5833@aol.com email address? :p

"I am American businessman who write like Nigerian National."

A little understatement never hurt anyone. ;-) 

But I still say that line sounds much better in thick Russian accent.

Reply by EMark, Aug 14, 2013.

Oh crud, the mind is fading.  It was "everybody," not "everyone," and it was "from," not "off."

Reply by zufrieden, Aug 16, 2013.

I am not an American businessman, and I would not buy wine under these auspices.  However, that is not to say that many Crimean wines were not sequestered beneath the Sea of Azov or the Black Sea during the 1942-44 period.  That said, would you pay 1,000 dollars without proof of provenance?

Reply by Snoother 1504175, May 15.

Today I get acquainted with this man Bill. He told me this story and about this ship and wine and etc. 

he is real american and also he is fantastic singer. If i had money i will try to do crazy thing and find out more about those ship wrecks) 

Ukraine, B.

Reply by dmcker, May 15.

ROFLMAO.

I had to approve his most recent reference from the Ukraine. Which part, I wonder? The east? Crimea??

Reply by Snoother 1504175, May 15.

No, I am from Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Here is the story, this man, Bill, I mean... He used to live in States  and somehow he went to Crimea. As I already told, he is a singer, so he was working in Grimea.  Probably, you have seen what is going on in Ukraine, so the russians, the military guys send him from Crimea and took away his passport and all stuff, money. Now he is in Kiev, searching for the job, cause as he told me usa embassy do not able to help him. Today he met me and told me this story about ships, wrecks and wine.. I tried to find out this info in world net, so I am here ) 

Reply by dvogler, May 15.

Dang Fox, I was just about to send my credit card number to reserve a case.

Reply by JenniferT, May 15.

Wow, that totally makes sense! How can I help? Maybe I can ultimately get some money out of this honourable endeavour with Sir William! 

Did I mention that I was born on a raft, just yesterday?

I seriously don't know if I should thank you for bringing us something so funny...or be disgusted because I have no respect for people that troll the internet, looking for gullible people to take advantage of. 

It's probably more B than A.

Reply by JenniferT, May 15.

Maybe you can tell Sir William that there are more honourable ways to make money! Or maybe he can just sing his way to self-financing the project. 

Reply by Snoother 1504175, May 16.
I am really do not understand why you find it funny, when one poor american granny went on trouble? 

It is quite difficult to find job and earn money for Ukrainian people and for strange man Bill Warren chances are equaled to zero. 

So, here is the link for his Crimea concert  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slz5d3JSb98

and about ships, I also find it a bit unreal, but he has experience in diving , or he had 20 years ago...

My B. Stands for Bogdan... You can have a look on my page on Facebook ( Bogdan Dudko)  

Reply by gregt, May 16.

Hey, if the guy is in the Crimea, which is part of the Ukraine, or no, wait, now it's part of Russia. The only thing I'm worried about is that Putin sends some thugs in to stir up trouble, then offers to help solve the problems.

So what if we find these bottles and then Putin offers assistance? He's like Superman right? A little guy who wears lifts in his shoes but who can swim faster than the fastest guppy, fly higher than the highest blackbird, lift hausfraus higher than the highest hausfrau lifter - 

I don't know. This could be really touchy. I don't want to bring up old memories or set off any disagreements between Angela and Vlad.

And I really was going to invest in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the American named Bill who is working in Grimea. I imagine he sings in the Grimean dialect?

Reply by Snoother 1504175, May 16.

He isn't in Crimea. He is now in Kiev... Very "funny" jokes about Putin. Nevermind. 

I am telling that Russian troops send him away from Crimea, because it is now belongs to Russians

Anyone will dive to find thoese rubbish bottles.. I am just telling you story about strange man Bill.

Reply by Really Big Al, May 16.

Hey, remember the Battle Bots show?  Let's send over Vlad the Impaler (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HkcbKPahWs) to help with the project!

Reply by dmcker, May 16.

With headlines like "Workers Seize City in Eastern Ukraine From Separatists", and possibilities for all sorts of tangential escalation, it's kinda hard to joke much about what's going on in the Ukraine. We have opportunistic bare-chested horseback (lift-using) adventurists trying to carve pieces of a country up while internally it devolves into civil war. Only likely to get worse before it gets better.

This thread is developing an interesting twist or two, however. "I don't want to bring up old memories or set off any disagreements between Angela and Vlad." Indeed...

Reply by dvogler, May 16.

I'm sure nobody is finding the crisis in Ukraine (not "The"  Ukraine) funny.  The point here is that some anonymous person comes on here asking for investment.  This is the wrong place. 

Reply by gregt, May 16.

Agreed on both points. Things over there aren't funny in the least. Actually, they're the most frightening developments in the world at this point and even more distressing, likely to be a harbinger of worse to come.

Posting on Snooth for investors in some project with unknown people? That's not frightening, it's just, well, different?

BTW D, nice reference to the Pussy Riot coment. Did you see them on Colbert? They went toe to toe with him and came out really well. Very quick and smart girls.

1 2 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
97 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
64 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere