Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

10 Up and Coming Wine Regions

Posted by JonDerry, Apr 19.

Here's the story by Vine Pair, which has made for some decent reads from my Facebook feed of late. Lots of interesting regions named here from China to Brazil to Texas. The other domestic region being North Virginia. Nearby, there's Baja and Canada.

Tasmania and Croatia we've heard about for a while longer, and seem to have a bit more Cree than the aforementioned upstarts.

Georgia is getting a lot of buzz lately, from some people I respect as well. May be the most worthy of exploration.

Replies

Reply by dmcker, Apr 19.

Niagara Bench, Dalmations (Croatia), Georgia (a reasonable bet they've cultivated grapes longer there than anywhere on earth), and Tasmania all have wines worth tasting, and have been on the radar for quite awhile. Others are just listomania linkbait...

Reply by JonDerry, Apr 19.

No love for Baja? That does seem like one that may have made some real gains of late. Mexican Nebbiolo and all. Need some rec's for Georgia. Despite the history, few Americans drink the wines.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Apr 19.

"the southernmost extremes of Ontario are actually further south than Bordeaux"

I love shit like this.  As if the only thing that mattered was latitude.  (Or soil, or mean daily temperature, or... take your pick.) Has this writer ever been to either place?  I haven't been to Bordeaux, but I know that area in Ontario and Western NY pretty well.  Let's start with "far from the sea" as one huge difference.  Yes, the lakes moderate the temperature, but seriously? Go spend a winter there.  Let me also point out that Niagara is not in the southernmost portion of Ontario.  It's not a ton north, but that bit of latitude--if latitude is important at all--should be acknowledged. The wheat fields of southern Ontario are impressive in the summer, very much like Kansas. 

Let's also keep in mind that Bordeaux was, pre-global warming, pretty dodgy for growing grapes a lot of the time.  And really swampy, so lots of rot, luckily at least some of it noble, but much of it not.  It's really effing humid in summer up in the Great Lakes--you know, that whole water effect has its downside, too. Lots of rot, too much rain in growing season, a growing season that starts late and ends with rain in September.  Virtually everyone who has gone to Cornell--same latitude as S. Ontario-- for all four years can recall a September when they returned to school and it rained every day of the month.  Great weather for grape growing.  Maybe good Riesling or Cab Franc (which ripens early and has already proved somewhat successful) but it's going to be a niche unless demand goes so high that every plantable place in Cali, Oregon, and Washington is used, or the west coast turns into the Gobi desert.  BC is Canada's quality wine region, and even that's going to be "pick your spots." 

BTW, in addition to going to school in Ithaca, I have traversed via car almost all the halfway populated areas of Ontario save Ottawa, both via the lower Ontario route to Windsor/Detroit, and across the top of the Great Lakes. I wasn't as into wine then, but my memories of the place are vivid even now.

Reply by rckr1951, Apr 19.

I think that the Patagonia region of Argentina should be there also.

Reply by JonDerry, Apr 19.

Michigan should have also been mentioned ahead of Texas, though they may not throw the parties that Texas does.

Reply by dmcker, Apr 20.

Texas wines are comical. Had a thread or two several years ago where we discussed the options there. Some funkily interesting grape varieties that will blow a hole in Vino's 'Different' thread.  ;-(

Niagara Bench has produced drinkable wines, all the above still undoubtedly true. Was thinking of the mountains west of Tokyo where they've been growing wine for well more than a century but still haven't gotten it right when reading your travelogue, Fox. Hell there are vitis vinifera seeds in a famous old storehouse down in Nara from the 8th century C.E. so its not like they haven't had the right grapes for long enough. 2nd, undeclared, rainy season is in autumn, and summers following the first rainy season are wicked humid. Can't make good wine when you have mushrooms growing on the stalks and the roots are rotting. Talk about mold/mildew/unknownfunguses galore.

Maybe we need a Snooth walkabout offline in Georgia, JD.  ;-)

I'm assuming you mean the northernmost parts of Patagonia, RCKR. Not where I went climbing further south. But if Brazil's listed, why not?

I would be very surprised if the person who compiled that list of regions had been to any of the wine regions mentioned. Just a cog in the SEO machine...

Reply by JonDerry, Apr 20.

Definitely a Georgia tasting.

Fair enough. Would not have been posted had there been decent discussions ongoing.

Reply by GregT, Apr 21.

Well, the main problem with the wine from Georgia is that most of it was horrible, sweet wine. Think Manischewitz or something equally bad. It's kind of like Bikaver or Bull's Blood from Hungary. Recently they've been working on their wines but the tradition was sweet red and that's still what's sold all over Brighton Beach in Brooklyn where there's a huge Russian population. They grew up with the stuff.

If it weren't for the politics in the neighborhood, it would be a fascinating area to visit, as it's one of the oldest places we know wine existed. And I think it's kind of interesting that they still make a good deal of sweet wine - I'm pretty sure that was the way most wine in the world tasted until very recently.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Apr 21.

JD:  I like that you did it.  I got to be mean about the writer.  I felt superior.  <snark again>

These articles come out all the time, and they are successful at provoking us to discussion.  So not completely a waste of time.  But I think we need to consider some parodies of them.  Why should the Hosemaster get to have all the fun?  Time to brush off the college humor fountain pen. 

Reply by dmcker, Apr 22.

So Greg, which is the chicken and which the egg: the Russians really liked sweet wines so everyone in the old USSR/Iron Curtain countries produced wine for that market, or the traditional wines in those regions had always been sweet and the Russians just got comfy with them?

JD, no criticism of you for starting the thread, especially since it restarted some discussion. Just calling a spade a spade about the original linkbait item.

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

127503 Snooth User: rckr1951
127503rckr1951
85 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
34 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
27 posts

Categories