Wine & Food

Snooth User: William Djubin

#1 Wine Dining faux pas nominee

Posted by William Djubin, Mar 2, 2014.

- possibly the #1 Faux Pas for Wine Dining is to bring a wine that is available on the venues wine list and pay the Cork fee, and it did happen tonight. Belle Gloss Clark and Telephone.

1 2 next

Replies

Reply by dvogler, Mar 2, 2014.

I agree William....pretty lame.

Although here in BC, restaurants have only recently been allowed (by the Government) to open wine that patrons supply, I prefer to patronize the establishment and buy from their list.

I might make an exception if it is some real occasion and I brought something exceptional that wouldn't be available.

Reply by pboss, Mar 2, 2014.

Have to second that one, William. Although I can see a circumstance where someone visits a restaurant not knowing the wine menu in advance and just happens to bring a bottle that is on the menu.

Reply by EMark, Mar 2, 2014.

Well, I just deleted a fairly lengthy epistle in response to this post.

Let me just ask this, William.  After the customer committed this egregious offense, what did you do?

Reply by outthere, Mar 3, 2014.

Many restaurants in California will not open a bottle for you if it is offered on their wine list. If you are going to be bringing your own wine you should be fully aware of what is offered by the dining establishment. Most restaurants have their wine list posted on their website for easy reference. Some do not but in the past I have requested a copy of the wine list be emailed to me. Restaurants are more than happy to do that. Bringing something the restaurant already has is in extremely bad taste.

Speaking of corkage, TFL in Yountville just raised theirs to $150! Wine List

Reply by gregt, Mar 3, 2014.

emark - he killed him.

dvogler - it's nice to open what they have, that's for sure. But sometimes what you have is something they don't. A place like the French Laundry has a fairly extensive list, albeit one with huge mark ups, but many restaurants don't have such a list and rather than pay $100 for a $20 wine, I'd just as soon bring something of my own, particularly if it's something I've cellared.

Only once has that backfired. We went into a place that said they'd let us bring wine. The new guy met us at the door and told us the policy had been changed (that afternoon?). We assured him that he wouldn't have the wines we were bringing so he asked what we had. First thing we pulled out was a 1973 Spanish wine. He walked over to his cooler and pulled the same thing out to show us!

But he ended up being pretty good about it. He couldn't stop laughing when he saw the looks on our faces and that was the only wine he had out of the 12 we brought.

Reply by outthere, Mar 3, 2014.

"emark - he killed him."

Introduced them to his little friend? Geographically it seems fitting.

Reply by dvogler, Mar 3, 2014.

I'm picturing a Silence of the Lambs basement well, full of patrons who unwittingly crossed the lines.

Okay, that's mean. 

I can't imagine bringing that much wine to a restaurant!  12?  What was the occasion?

I rarely order a bottle of wine (my old lady doesn't drink it) unless I'm with my wine buddy.

$150 corkage?  That's basically saying, "Don't bring wine here".

Reply by William Djubin, Mar 4, 2014.

Redemption.. For Every Faux Pas= 10X redemption in Food Service.

Tonite I spilled Vietti Nebbiolo 2011 to a Table that owns Vietti Barbera and Barolo 2011.

They Paid the cellar/house cost of $55 and Enjoyed the Strawberries and youth.. Viva Strawberries and my 8-top table of Vietti owners.. 

BYW Our $25 corkage Fee has been noted as excessive lately. and.

And.

Should a Wine Club or Group that meets monthly/ Bi-monthly at your Venue and enjoys the ( food venue tools ) have a discounted cork fee for their Love of Wine and amazing Wines brought??

Note:  The Original Wine FELON also exclaimed that he Corked and Decanted the suspicious Clark and Telephone at home. It was in a Brown Bag to boot.. Really Decant a young Pinot Noir?? auugghh..

Glad I didn't notice any Nip Bottles of Scotch and Vodka beneath the table during closing. Ha ha ha...

Actually quite funny experience. and Noted.

Reply by gregt, Mar 4, 2014.

dvogler - we needed 12 wines. There were seven of us. We had just finished a fairly involved blind tasting and we just wanted to relax with dinner.

My Ideal Guests.. Bring the Vega. (library I assume.)

1973 VEGA library.

If you can find Vega Sicilia's Alion. grab it now.

Reply by dmcker, Mar 10, 2014.

This isn't a simple question, nor would I want to classify it '#1'. I once brought 3 bottles (out of a mixed case) of '82 Pavillon Rouge to a French restaurant in Tokyo run by one of the original iron chefs. It was a Christmas party in a private dining room for the partners and significant others and even progeny in my small consultancy, and I had no access to their wineliest ahead of time (not online, nor were they able to email me at that time in the early-to-mid '90s). I knew the maitre d' and sommelier well and they were sheepish when pulling the 12 bottles out and saw the bottles they did have (only the Pavillon Rouge). But they didn't really mind in that city at that time. Not to mention that I poured them glasses of the '82 Cakebread, '63 Pavie and '59 Palmer I had also brought--not on their list. All giggly and smiley by that time.  ;-)

I think worldwide you'll find differing reactions to this issue. I've encountered the problem in France and Italy, too. It all seems to depend on the circumstance, and your relationship to the establishment. Love that saying 'case-by-case'...

Reply by gregt, Mar 11, 2014.

Well they say case by case because obviously they'll have different impressions depending on what's in the case you brought that night!

We usually take pains to arrange things beforehand, especially if I'm bringing a wine maker who may want to pour his wines or who may want to experience wines that he or she wouldn't normally get, in either case, making for special concern. In fact that was the case in the story I related and the winemaker didn't speak much English so mercifully he didn't have to hear our cursing when they happened to have our wine by some fluke. Only time that happened though.

In other countries I don't know what happens because I'm usually someone's guest and they take care of the details. It's why I do it here.

Reply by dvogler, Mar 11, 2014.

William, I have been looking at the Alion for a while.  I've read great reviews about it.

The one at the store by me is a 2008 and is $75

There's another (vega sicilia reserva Especial Unico $448!  out of my league)

Reply by William Djubin, Mar 12, 2014.

2008 Alion at $75 is a is a good price. Vega can also get silly with their blends.

Vega Sicilia is an interesting group, but the ALION always impressed me. and 08 @ 75 is a good price.

-Happy to see Alion  at Retail somewhere. William.

Reply by William Djubin, Mar 12, 2014.

DMCKER.  Nice line-up. and thanks for the Taste of an unbelievable wine event and dinner. Wish I was Sommelier that night.

Reply by dmcker, Mar 12, 2014.

Thanks, William. The owner-chef was, as mentioned, one of the original iron chefs, so the food was extremely fine, too. On that show I'm not sure if he ever lost. I'd known him for a few years before the show began, and fortunately he didn't let his growing celebrity get in the way of his work in the kitchen or running his restaurant. The manager (referred to as the maitre d' above) was also a good friend because he and I had been in an industry wine-tasting circle together from nearly a decade before that.

Reply by gregt, Mar 12, 2014.

dvogler - Alion was supposed to be a $25 wine. Then it got high scores from Parker and the owners decided to raise the price. I haven't bought any since the 2001 but I've tasted it each year and it's always a nice wine. However, 2008 was not a great vintage in the region at all and if you can, you'd be better off looking for a 2004,5,9 or 10, or even 2007 and 2006. It's one thing to spend $20 or so, but f you're going to spend $75, you might as well get the best you can for your money. And if you want to spend more, get the 2004 Unico when it's released. It's very good. Even though it's also the only Unico I've ever ranked less than the best in a blind tasting, it's a wine you can count on.

1 2 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
71 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
59 posts
262583 Snooth User: Richard Foxall