The Old World Palate
The Old World palate is in deep trouble. With each passing vintage, fewer and fewer wines seem to satisfy these folks. “Does this seem oakier than it used to be?” is a popular refrain, and while there are plenty of wines that meet their needs, these curmudgeons seem to see their Bordeaux stems as decidedly half-empty.
The Old World palate loves:
- Bordeaux from no later than 1990. Because after that, things went to crap.
- Barolo. You know the five producers we’re talking about.
- California Cabernet from no later than 1986. Because after that, things went to crap.
- Portuguese wines from the Douro. Rustic and rich, like me.
- Burgundy from no later than 1993. Because after that, things went to crap.
- Favorite punctuation? The period.