Morellino Di Scansano Wine Descriptions
Description 1 of 1
Morellino di Scansano is a region on the Maremma coast in Tuscany, Italy. The wine is produced around the hills of the town of Scansano, where the Sangiovese grape is given the name Morellino, meaning “little dark or brown one.” This is either due to the color of the grape itself, or perhaps that it matches the color of the local breed of horses, the Marmmano. Wines have been produced here for centuries, with written documents dating back into the late 19th century. A combination of the higher altitudes and volcanic soils differentiates this strain of the grape than those grown further inland, with softer tannins and less acidic characteristics. Morellino di Scansano was awarded DOC status in 1978 and its higher DOCG classification in 2007.
The wines are required to be at least 85% Morellino, with the remaining 15% varietals such as Mammolo, Canaiolo, Alicante, Malvasia Nero, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and/or Ciliegiolo. There are some releases that are 100% Morellino.
DOCG laws allow minimal aging, only a minimum 8 months after harvest. The Riserva version spends at least a year in oak, minimum 2 years aging. The wines vary from fresh and fruity styles, evolving to more concentrated versions, depending on aging technique and grape blend. Some are spicy, some less so. Typically, the fruit flavors are in the tart to dark cherry family, with some pomegranate, plum and leather notes. This is a terrific tomato sauce red, excellent with most pizza and pasta.~Amanda Schuster
Best Wine Deals
Morellino Di Scansano Wine Top Lists
Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon ArgentinaRated
Château Barreyres Red Bordeaux Blend Haut-Médoc (2005)Wishlisted
Whatcha drinking tonight?Replied
Aires Andinos Sauvignon Blanc (2014)Reviewed
Dom Perignon Blanc (2000)Reviewed
Altitude Cellars Altitude Project Cabernet SauvignonRated
Chateau Raymond Lafon Sauternes Futures (2009)Reviewed
Domaine Faiveley Nuits-Saint-Georges Premier Cru les Porets St.-Georges (2010)Reviewed
Champagne Cattier Brut Sensation (NV)Reviewed