Description 1 of 1
Castelli Romani is wine region in the Lazio province of Italy. As the name would suggest (“Castles of Rome”), it’s located near the capital, but also has the viticultural advantage of breezes from the nearby Tyrrenhian Sea and volcanic soil deposits from the now quiet Tuscolano. Very favorable conditions for making wine and getting it to the masses.
For Castelli Romani DOC blanco, the wine must consist of at least 70% of Malvasia Blanco, Malvasia Puntinata, Trebbiano Toscana, Trebbiano di Soave, Trebbiano Verde and Trebbiano Giallo (all cousins, but considered separate grapes). The remainder 30% can be any other local white varietals within the DOC. The rosso must be a minimum 85% blend of Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Cesanese, Merlot and/or Nero Buono with a maximum 15% of other local red grapes permitted in the DOC. There is also a rosato, which can consist of any of these white or red grapes. These are all available in dry (secco), amabile (off dry) or frizzante (lightly sparkling).
Much like its neighbors in Est! Est! Est! and Frascati, Castelli Romani wines are excellent values for casual sipping. Great growing conditions, but less prestige than other parts of Italy.– Description from Amanda Schuster
Best Wine Deals
Vieilles Vignes, Pierre Andre, 2011 (2011)Reviewed
dA Pinot Noir Reserve, 2011, Sud De France (2011)Reviewed
Cannonball Merlot Sonoma County (2012)Wishlisted
Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Riserva (2010)Wishlisted
Astrolabe Chenin Blanc Wrekin Vineyard (2012)Wishlisted
Black Saint Peter, Old Vine Zinfandel 2013 (2013)Reviewed
Macmurray Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir (2012)Wishlisted
Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Merlot California (2011)Wishlisted
Flora Springs Chardonnay Barrel Fermented (2012)Wishlisted
Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore Brut Valdobbiadene D.O.C.G (2012)Reviewed