Description 1 of 1
Central Victoria, part of the larger Victoria province, is one of the most diverse wine-making regions in Australia. It comprises five subregions and an array of micro-climates and terroirs, with a broad range of wine styles.
* Bendigo: with a warm, dry climate. Gold-mining was once the main industry here, now a favorite wine destination. Mostly known for rich reds from Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese.
* Goulburn Valley: with a history of wine-making that dates back to the 1860s. Warm and dry, with local rivers and lakes providing temperature moderation and irrigation. Known for Rhone varietals Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre (Mataro), Viognier, Rousanne, Marsanne as well as Chardonnay.
* Heathcote: known for its distinct Cambrian soil, milder temperatures and long growing season. Produces some of the most well-regarded Shiraz in the country. Also, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo and whites from Viognier, Marsanne and Rousanne.
* Strathbogie Ranges: has only been producing wines since the 1970s. Has diverse microclimates within from cool to hot and dry. Wines styles reflect these areas from sparkling and cool-climate Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc to rich Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot.
* Upper Goulburn: Known for high altitude vineyards and cool climates. The region produces aromatic whites from Gewurtraminer, Riesling, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. Reds are produced from Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Best Wine Deals
Fat, rich, creamy and buttery ChardonnayReplied
Orchard Country Winery Honey Crisp Apple (NV)Reviewed
Whatcha drinking tonight?Replied
Vega Sicilia Unico Ribeira Duero (1958)Listed
What wine websites do you visit to crave your wine entertainment needs?Replied
Chariot Gypsy Red (2012)Cellared
Domaine Bruno Clavelier la Combe Brulee Vosne-Romanee Cl (2007)Wishlisted
Liparita Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (1999)Reviewed
Dominique Piron Brouilly (2011)Reviewed
Sella & Mosca Cannonau Cannonau di Sardegna Riserva (2011)Wishlisted