Description 1 of 1
Central Victoria, part of the larger Victoria province, is one of the most diverse wine-making regions in Australia. It comprises five subregions and an array of micro-climates and terroirs, with a broad range of wine styles.
* Bendigo: with a warm, dry climate. Gold-mining was once the main industry here, now a favorite wine destination. Mostly known for rich reds from Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese.
* Goulburn Valley: with a history of wine-making that dates back to the 1860s. Warm and dry, with local rivers and lakes providing temperature moderation and irrigation. Known for Rhone varietals Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre (Mataro), Viognier, Rousanne, Marsanne as well as Chardonnay.
* Heathcote: known for its distinct Cambrian soil, milder temperatures and long growing season. Produces some of the most well-regarded Shiraz in the country. Also, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Tempranillo and whites from Viognier, Marsanne and Rousanne.
* Strathbogie Ranges: has only been producing wines since the 1970s. Has diverse microclimates within from cool to hot and dry. Wines styles reflect these areas from sparkling and cool-climate Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc to rich Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot.
* Upper Goulburn: Known for high altitude vineyards and cool climates. The region produces aromatic whites from Gewurtraminer, Riesling, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. Reds are produced from Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Best Wine Deals
Hungary: Kiralyudvar, Gere, etc.Replied
Of Monsters & MontefalcoReplied
Casali Rosa di RosaReviewed
Familia Zuccardi Malbe Hiraz Fuzion (2010)Wishlisted
Flora Springs Trilogy (2007)Cellared
And now for something completely different ...Replied
Secret Santa 2015Replied
Garnacha, grenache--tomato, potato...Replied
Mascota Vineyards la Mascota Cabernet Sauvignon (2011)Wishlisted