• WS: 86

    Wine Spectator Score

    86

    Close
  • W&S: 87

    Wine & Spirits Magazine Score

    87

    Close
+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close

J Hofstatter Pinot Nero Meczan 2012

Winemaker's Notes:

Grape Variety: Pinot Noir Soil: A mixture of clay, lime and eroded porphyry. Winemaking: 75 percent of the bunches are de-stemmed, while the remaining 25 percent are placed whole in the fermentation vats. Fermentation lasts 10 days, during which the skins and other solids are constantly kept loose and submerged in the must. Description: The Meczan Pinot Noir is distinguished by its unmistakable varietal character, its distinctive aroma and fruity character, by its bright ruby colour with garnet reflexes, and its fresh, stimulating bouquet with seductive hints of woodland berries and cherry. On the palate Meczan is harmonious, sappy and mellow with impressive fruit. Food Choices: Game dishes, roasts, pasta with meat sauces and with one of Tyrol’s great “poor-man’s dishes” - barley soup.

4.07 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
J. Hofstätter:
Taking stock of the past ten years I can confidently assert that the exceptional character of our local vineyards and grape varieties is reflected in our wines more than ever. South Tyrol’s best-known vines are cultivated in the Hofstätter wine estate. We even enjoy the unique privilege of owning vineyards in the finest sites on both sides of the Adige River in southern South Tyrol. However, it... Read more
Taking stock of the past ten years I can confidently assert that the exceptional character of our local vineyards and grape varieties is reflected in our wines more than ever. South Tyrol’s best-known vines are cultivated in the Hofstätter wine estate. We even enjoy the unique privilege of owning vineyards in the finest sites on both sides of the Adige River in southern South Tyrol. However, it is precisely the work in the vineyards which I find the most challenging: decades of monoculture have exhausted the soils, sapped them of their vigour, the vigour which the grapevine needs to stay healthy and unfold its vitality to the full. And today the vine needs vital force more than ever before to withstand the increasingly extreme weather conditions. The word ‘terroir’ is often bandied about, as if it referred to an established factor, while in reality it is subject to the very same fluctuations that the far-sighted winegrower is confronted with in his daily work. He needs to recognise the elementary preconditions necessary for vines to yield superlative, distinctive, unmistakable wines, cultivating, fine-tuning and focusing his methods. This is the only way to enhance the quality of grapes in a vineyard which has always produced excellent fruit. I am striving to attain this without advance knowledge of the extent to which the world-wide ecological challenges are to be surmounted in a small organism such as a vineyard. I am confident that a workable solution will be found! Read less

Member Reviews for J Hofstatter Pinot Nero Meczan

Add your review
Snooth User: Robert Ferdon
188353082
4.40 5
05/20/2015

Four and a half glasses



All Prices

Shipping to:

Grape Variety: Pinot Noir Soil: A mixture of clay, lime and eroded porphyry. Winemaking: 75 percent of the bunches are de-stemmed, while the remaining 25 percent are placed whole in the fermentation vats. Fermentation lasts 10 days, during which the skins and other solids are constantly kept loose and submerged in the must. Description: The Meczan Pinot Noir is distinguished by its unmistakable varietal character, its distinctive aroma and fruity character, by its bright ruby colour with garnet reflexes, and its fresh, stimulating bouquet with seductive hints of woodland berries and cherry. On the palate Meczan is harmonious, sappy and mellow with impressive fruit. Food Choices: Game dishes, roasts, pasta with meat sauces and with one of Tyrol’s great “poor-man’s dishes” - barley soup.

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals






Snooth Media Network