6 Wines Everyone Should Recognize

Can you pick them out from the pack?

Next » 1 of 14
6 Wines Everyone Should Recognize Marketers say to shop with our eyes, and we do, but more importantly, by creating iconic images, designers and consultants not only earn a nice fee but develop a reputation for success -- and we know what that means.

So, do wine labels really work? Can you tell from a glance what label you're looking at? If you're running through the store, these labels should jump right out at you. Let's see how they, and you, do!

Comments

• what do they do to Kendall Jackson to make it taste like that? I just tried it for the first time in years, and how do they get it to taste like a fruit stand? Is it malolactic fermentation? Chapitalization? Witchcraft?

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM

• By adding some central valley cheap grapes with a high sugar content and stopping the fermentation before all of the sugars have fermented to alcohol thereby leaving some residual sugar. It is the same process as is used to make White Zinfandel.
    Tom

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM

• Write your comment here.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM

• Snooth User: hogfatt

The only one I've had is Rufino Classico Riserva. And I've only heard of 2 others, the Yellowtail and Kendal Jackson...the rest are foreign to me.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:48 PM

• Snooth User: Elane3113

Yellowtail & Kendal Jackson are a given in the super market but I have never had either. I do, though, buy Ruffino Ducale by the case.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM

• all I can come up with is, yuck. Old Milwaukee Light....

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM

• Snooth User: lambton1

don't recognize any except yellow tail but I'm Canadian and don't ever see any Canadian wines on this site? Can anyone tell me why?

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

• Snooth User: ubnjtx

Know them all and have enjoyed most. That said, I think the Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio is IMHO overpriced and over rated. Have enjoyed many other Pinot Grigios much more.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

• Are you kidding me, this newsletter is from the states, need to say more. Yellow tail never, Kendall Jackson a few times; Freixenet I do agree, a great Cava.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM

• Snooth User: Nancy Yos

Woo hoo, I knew all six. Being a retail floozie helps.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM

• Snooth User: hlopez99

recognized them all, tried them all except one, liked one or two, hated the rest.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM

• Snooth User: shueston

Freixenet is the worst possible excuse for a sparkling wine. Seriously, it has always been off limits for my wine-loving friends and me. At one social occasion someone brought 2 bottles of this to the party. We never opened it and sent the guest who brought it home with both bottles. No one wanted it and we figured the person who brought must find it drinkable. (Granted it is cheaper than many wines with similar profiles, but the cheaper price is not worth the low quality of the wine.)
    I cannot believe you would even consider it in any kind of list unless it was the one folks should definitely not drink. (there are other Cava's that are better but a sparkling California is usually far superior and some of them are top of the line excellent with superb taste and IMO sometimes beat out the real deal-French Champagne.)

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:55 AM

• Snooth User: violawolf

My usual rule of thumb is if a vineyard mass-produces "wines" such as all of the examples in this article, their qualities tend to be poor. I would much rather buy a great wine from a smaller grower than pay for a brand name. It is unfortuntate that uneducated buyers are prevented from experiencing truly great wines because these larger growers can pay for advertising, such as on snooth.com.

If you want some excellent alternatives to these wines, here are my recommendations:

Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blancs are a great value for the money and I've seen them as low as $14 in some shops.

For just over $20 you can purchase an awesome old-world Burgundy Chardonnay from Domaine Corsin. Their 2008 Saint Veran Vielles Vignes is outstanding.

For under $20 you can buy from the Italian Ca' La Bionda vineyard. Their 2008 Valpolicella Classico Superior "Ravazzol" is awesome.

Chateau Teynac makes a fantastic Saint Julien Bordeaux blend for around $20. The 2005 is a very solid vintage if you can find it.

If you are looking for a good California sparkling wine, the Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut is a fine choice for $16 to $20.

Anothere excellent sparkling wine is a bottle of Castellroig Cava Brut. This wine is a rose, and is far superior to Freixenet in every way. It usually sells for between $15 and $17.

Mar 05, 2011 at 2:27 AM

• Snooth User: suziqcu

I recognized and have had them all, except the Kendall Jackson, as I am only now a Chardonnay fan, due to the many types available now which aren't so oakey or sweet! I tend to agree with others that there are much better values out there. These were "entry level" wines for me. I agree that the Cava is not very good. I enjoy Nouveau Beaujolais every year since living in Belgium. It's just a "tradition" around Thanksgving. I certainly agree with your point about label recognition. The Santa Marguerita I haven't tried in 20 years due it's cost, I don't think it's warranted.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM