- This has a hugely aromatic nose that explodes with savory, tapenade, thyme, light geranium notes, followed by a spicy truffle precursor and rich, dark fruit. This is fairly ripe, packed with soft abundant tannins and integrated acidity, this will be ready quite early. The fruit here freshens up on the backend showing a little ripe strawberry, strawberry seeds, building with great intensity and clarity on the backend and showing great brilliance on the finish. 93pts
- Very herbal on the nose with tapenade aromas that are more thyme-driven than olive at the moment, all accented by a dusting of cinnamon and really lovely strawberry fruit. This could be called lush if it wasn’t so nervy, with juicy acidity and super fine tannins supporting wonderfully crisp strawberry fruit. Topped with a hint of truffle, some spice notes and a touch of tropical fruit. It’s wonderfully transparent in the mouth, firming up with a bit of air and offering great lift on the back end and the long, pure finish. 93pts
- The nose here is very complex with rich notes of olive tapenade, thyme, dried meat, ginseng, dried herbs, rosehips, rose petals and a touch of leather. On entry this is light and bright with huge inner-mouth perfumes. It’s very finely balanced with an elegant, suave feeling. The fruit has an edge of liquory richness and hints of medicinal herbs adding complexity but the rush of wild berry fruit on the mid-palate extends right through the long finish with big acids helping to extend the fruity finish. Really gorgeous wine. 93pts
- Leathery and slightly bretty on the nose with a deep gamy element that contrasts against the sweet dark fruits of the nose Notes of olive brine, mortadella and carnations emerge from the glass with air. Soft and suave in the mouth with a rich core of spiced fruit supported by great acids that keep this taut and tense. Great camphor tinged cherry fruit in the mouth conceals a bed of ripe tannins. A very well balanced 2005. 93pts
- Olives and spicy green middle eastern tones immediately greated the nose with this wine and were joined by notes of hung game, moist tobacco and sweet, candied root, angelica root tones after several hours of air. This was initially quite bitter and beef bloody with lots of candied raspberry fruit tones that gradually added some vegetal, cucumber like notes and a very big flourish of fresh green herbs that set up the palate for this green/red fruit tension that was very intriguing and lead to a crisp clean finish with some subtle pignoli nut bitterness. After several hours air the big herbal element remained as did a very quinine like medicinal tone that framed the red fruits. The mouthfeel remained both zesty and polished and I appreciated the great complexity and sneaky finish but this is a very distinctive Barolo, something I applaud. 91pts
- Crazy! What a fine nose with confiture fruits, huge herbs, sweet and almost candied/dried fruit tone dates and dried cherry but still moist and fresh. Slight tobacco, more black olive brine than olives, leather, sweet licorice, intense and complex and gaining a purity to the block olive notes with each passing moment. A bit loose at first, perhaps too hot for Monvigliero though this remains elegant and caressing with fine fruit and a pitched mineral tone that makes it seem fresher than perhaps it is. The backdrop to the fruit is very licorice and very tannic but the tannins are gentle, quite earthy and slightly leathery. The fruit has a prune plum quality that is very ripe but still fresh. This is deceptively easy to drink with a lovely cocoa note on the really fresh finish My only complaint is that this could use a bit more acid but none-the-less this is an unsung hero of Barolo. This should be an icon! It is such an individual expression of Barolo yet is so completely and thoroughly Barolo. Every Barolo love needs to try these wines. Superb! 95pts
- Intense notes of incense and candlewax immediately emerge from the glass joined by dark, smoky, slightly jammy fruits with complicating notes of fish sauce, underbrush, tapenade, thyme and olive oil. In the mouth he tannins are delicate and light if abundant giving the wine a velvety texture. The rosehip and wild cherry fruit is framed by vitamin like mineral notes and a wonderful inner mouth perfume of roses and tapenade. Still youthful this is emerging from its shell and has a very promising future. 93pts.
- This smelled quite bloody at first, down right like an abattoir but with incredibly sweet spearmint, sassafras and sautéed mushroom notes that were deeply embedded in the gamy, slightly roasted, meat core of dark berry and dried fig fruit. On the palate this had a brilliant texture with bright acids balanced by a blanket of superb, soft tannins. The dark fruit presented itself with great precision possessing a lovely sweetness matched by the complex, layered notes of dried herbs, earth, tobacco and salted capers that drove through the long, powerful finish. 2009-2030 93pts