Winery of the Year 2013

Rewarding consumers with consistent quality and value

This is always one of the most difficult things I have to do each year. Sit down and try to figure out who will Snooth’s Winery of the year be?

I'm never going to please everybody, or most  of the people even, but I try and select someone, or some winery that does two things. The first is to produce wines that I really like. Ha! Sorry about that but in this case I am the arbiter of good taste, or what passes for it.

So far our wineries of the year have been:

The second, and equally important aspect of the selection process is simple. These great wines have to be offered to consumers at fair and affordable prices. Our Winery of the Year 2013 satisfies both requirements completely. In fact pricing is in part why I’m choosing this year’s winery of the year. You see the prices for these wines are going up. Not quickly, but steadily, and while still in the realm of affordability for many people I think the top wines, which are already pushing $60 a bottle, will soon be even more.

Not too long ago these wines were under $50 a bottle, and along with several other great producers, Produttori del Barbaresco and Simon Bize spring to mind, a string of ridiculous values has garnered the attention of those in the know. Great values become simply great wines, so with today’s choice of Winery of the Year I hope to turn you on to a great value that for me is one of the world’s truly iconic wines.

1 2 3 4 5  ...  13 next

Comments

• Snooth User: outthere

Wow! Great write-up GDP. Though I would expect nothing less from you when it comes to Barolo. Well done.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Thanks OT! Easy to do when you write about something you're passionate about.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

• Snooth User: zinfandel1

Love the article. More important is that a few of your selections are my favorites.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM

• Snooth User: Zuiko

I expected something esoteric and you delivered. Great article. My personal pick- Morris Wines of Victoria, Australia. Great fortified wines, especially their Tawnies. Tied for second place- J. Koegler and Karl Johann Molitor of the Rheingau. Also in the running- Frank Schiffmann's wines (Schiffmann-Junk) Brauneberg, Mosel.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Thanks Zinfandel! great wines that everyone can and should try!

Thanks Zuiko. I see a pattern in your choices!

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

• Snooth User: pjc1414
    200254 1

question : when did you taste these wines? all in same time period this year? please pardon my fear of assuming something, that is probably obvious to others. ( i am assuming all wine notes were from tasting in 2013. I am most curious about the older Barbera and Dolcetto. thanks

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:20 PM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Great stuff GdP...thanks for turning me on to these and other great values in Piedmont. Can't wait for the 10's!

Nov 01, 2013 at 4:04 PM

• Snooth User: Raphael Au

Thanks for introducing me to Burlotto's wines. I especially love the Barolo Monvigliero. It was your earlier article about the top 12 barolos that influenced me to stay at Burlotto's Agriturismo Locanda dell'Orso Bevitore.

I am currently building my collection from 2006 to 2009 back home in Toronto!

Also, it was very nice to meet you (if you remember me and my friend, we met at BArtolo Mascarello in May, then met again at Roberto Voerzio). Cheers.

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM