Gifts for Wine Lovers

Glassware Galore

« Prev Next » 2 of 10
Get In Shape

Like I said, you really only need a handful of bowl shapes. I lied when I said only Burgundy and Bordeaux stems since I also have white wine stems, but I use those for sweet wines. Confused?

Well to a certain extent, that's what manufacturers are hoping to capitalize on, your confusion. There is plenty of truth to the notion that different wines shows differently in various shaped glasses, the question is, do you care and are you interested in spending the time to find out?

For most people, that's an easy question to answer. For those of us who answered no, our needs are amply met by a pair of glasses with a nice graceful arc to the bowls, allowing for sufficient surface area to release aromas and ample space to capture them.

Spiegelau Vino Grande Burgundy Glass, Set of 4 $46

Comments

• But whatever you choose, eschew the Paris goblet, that hideous little tennis ball of a glass condemned by George Reidel himself as “the enemy of wine”. A glass too thick and too small to enhance the flavour, too shallow and open to enhance the bouquet, and too mimsy to suggest generosity. Check out our posting on the subject at http://tinyurl.com/2bph4eo

Dec 05, 2011 at 6:10 PM

• Snooth User: erniex

I have a small selection of glasses for various intend, bought out of a mix of curiousity and wine snobbery I suppose. I too seem to only use the classic Bordeaux and Burgundy ones for reds though, while for sweet, bubbles and everyday whites I have grown very funned of my mid sized tulip shaped glasses. I forget the brand and exact dimensions, but the shape I can surely recommend. Even for Cognac and Rum I think they do very well.

Dec 05, 2011 at 10:27 PM

• Snooth User: wineboy101

Really. You let the height of your dishwasher determine what type glassware you use. And second hold your stemless above the level of the wine. I think you are stemless and the snob. I will rethink reading any more from snooth.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM

• Why write a column when the point is, drink out of whatever you want, for whatever reason you can think of???

Dec 03, 2012 at 2:13 PM

• Snooth User: steve666

For about $1.50 a stem you can buy a dozen tall Bordeaux shaped glasses from Amazon, about 22oz I think. Slightly thick rims, stems higher than needed, but look good. For $10 a stem, sometimes a little less on EBay or Amazon, Schlott-Zweisel (sp?) Tritan Bordeaux glasses cannot be beat. Shorter stems, thinner rims, and taller bowls make it really easy to swirl the wine for aeration. Really enjoy them and the glass is made with titanium, not lead. They also make a slightly heavier line for restaurants, catering, etc., also Tritan glass.

Dec 03, 2012 at 3:57 PM

• I prefer hand painted wine glasses. They are elegant yet affordable. The uniqueness of a hand painted wine glass allows it to be a perfect gift for several occasions during the year.

Dec 03, 2012 at 5:03 PM

• Snooth User: Jonar

9 oz tulip Champagne glasses, agree with the Champagne houses in Reims / Epernay using them. I ordered a dozen of these.

Large Bordeaux for others, we especially prefer reds.

Why have I posted this info 3x and it is gone from the comments when I return the next day? Are we supposed to only consider the items hawked by this website?

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi Jonar,

No way. We don't delete comments here. I've had a lot of issues with this article, links breaking and the like so I've been editing it a lot. I don't know if that could be part of the issue, if I have it open in my edit screen and then save it maybe it saves only the comments that were love when I opened my edit scree? I'll ask my tech team but rest assured we are not deleting your comments!

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:36 PM

• Snooth User: Jonar

Greg, Thanks! Originally I stated that I found a dozen 9 oz tulip glasses from an internet restaurant supply house, roughly $4 each. I really like the Riedel large Bordeaux for everything other than bubbly.
    A local liquor store includes one of these with each "big" charity wine tasting in the Fall and Spring, $20 tasting if anyone wants to look for MacAdoodles in Pineville, MO for 150+ wines to taste from many different distributors / wineries.

Dec 06, 2012 at 1:39 PM

• erniex is right onhere. We have these midsize tulip glasses, ours were called "DOC" glasses on the box. They turn up at tastings and are ideal for whites and cognacs and rums and grappa/cachacas. Little pear shaped glasses we find best with whiskies and eaux des vies. Schott/Zwiesel type taller, bigger tulip and burgundy glasses enhance good wines. We noticed more of a flatter, less high bowl shaped glass was served in Alsace and find that enhances their regional varieties. In general if you serve a larger glass with a more aromatic wine it enables the guest to swirl it around, also for air contact to be maximised and bring out the flavours. If a young red, pouring it into a decanter then into the big glass will do this especially from high up.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM

• fentastic

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM

• I prefer owning 2 sets of stemmed wine glasses, one short yet with a nice round bowl. The other set has much taller stem & much larger bowl for entertaining & dinners. The first of the two is for the casual "how about we share a bottle" galss, the second choice is keep the glass unempty making sure diners have wine at all times throughout dinner. I also did my own research on the stemless glasses which I really dislike as they get messy looking over the course of the evening, & yes they do warm the wine terribly. Also with stemmed glasses you can add stem rings so that your guests don't end up drinking out of someone else's glass. Often my friends bring along their own little stem rings knowing that I would NEVER serve wine in a stemless glass! BTW I NEVER put my wine glasses in the dishwasher. They are hand washed with small amount of detergent, rinsed thoroughly & dried with lint free coffee filters for a beautiful clear glass. Wine glases get destroyed in the dishwasher & always leave spots that are going to affect the taste of the wine. Oh, I do have a very nice 20 oz. large bowl (stemmed) glass as well.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM