Gifts for Wine Lovers

Glassware Galore

Next » 1 of 10
Gifts for Wine Lovers Originally published in 2011, eveything here still holds true today, and we've even added some great deals on glassware to buy this holiday season!

Still looking for that perfect holiday gift? Consider glassware. Seriously, it's something every wine lover needs. Considering that we tend to break glasses on a regular basis, even if we started the year with a full cupboard, there is always a time to replenish our supplies.

So what kind of glasses should you buy for your wine lover? That's an interesting and somewhat complex question that I can only begin to answer. So let me tell you what kind of glasses you can buy for me!

To begin with, I generally use only two styles of glassware: Burgundy and Bordeaux, as they are roughly known. I don't see the need for specific glasses for Syrah, Chianti, Viognier and Ripple, though you could probably find one for each. And why serve Champagne in flutes? I don't even like the often-aggressive bubbles in my sparklers as much as I like the aromas, which are as easy to appreciate in a flute as they were in the bottle.

So here are some tips on what to look for and what to buy when shopping for glassware this holiday season.

Watch GDP talk about the different glassware considerations today on today's Daily Rant. Part II is a doozy.

Photo courtesy DeeJayTee23 via Flickr/CC

Comments

• But whatever you choose, eschew the Paris goblet, that hideous little tennis ball of a glass condemned by George Reidel himself as “the enemy of wine”. A glass too thick and too small to enhance the flavour, too shallow and open to enhance the bouquet, and too mimsy to suggest generosity. Check out our posting on the subject at http://tinyurl.com/2bph4eo

Dec 05, 2011 at 6:10 PM

• Snooth User: erniex

I have a small selection of glasses for various intend, bought out of a mix of curiousity and wine snobbery I suppose. I too seem to only use the classic Bordeaux and Burgundy ones for reds though, while for sweet, bubbles and everyday whites I have grown very funned of my mid sized tulip shaped glasses. I forget the brand and exact dimensions, but the shape I can surely recommend. Even for Cognac and Rum I think they do very well.

Dec 05, 2011 at 10:27 PM

• Snooth User: wineboy101

Really. You let the height of your dishwasher determine what type glassware you use. And second hold your stemless above the level of the wine. I think you are stemless and the snob. I will rethink reading any more from snooth.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM

• Why write a column when the point is, drink out of whatever you want, for whatever reason you can think of???

Dec 03, 2012 at 2:13 PM

• Snooth User: steve666

For about $1.50 a stem you can buy a dozen tall Bordeaux shaped glasses from Amazon, about 22oz I think. Slightly thick rims, stems higher than needed, but look good. For $10 a stem, sometimes a little less on EBay or Amazon, Schlott-Zweisel (sp?) Tritan Bordeaux glasses cannot be beat. Shorter stems, thinner rims, and taller bowls make it really easy to swirl the wine for aeration. Really enjoy them and the glass is made with titanium, not lead. They also make a slightly heavier line for restaurants, catering, etc., also Tritan glass.

Dec 03, 2012 at 3:57 PM

• I prefer hand painted wine glasses. They are elegant yet affordable. The uniqueness of a hand painted wine glass allows it to be a perfect gift for several occasions during the year.

Dec 03, 2012 at 5:03 PM

• Snooth User: Jonar

9 oz tulip Champagne glasses, agree with the Champagne houses in Reims / Epernay using them. I ordered a dozen of these.

Large Bordeaux for others, we especially prefer reds.

Why have I posted this info 3x and it is gone from the comments when I return the next day? Are we supposed to only consider the items hawked by this website?

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi Jonar,

No way. We don't delete comments here. I've had a lot of issues with this article, links breaking and the like so I've been editing it a lot. I don't know if that could be part of the issue, if I have it open in my edit screen and then save it maybe it saves only the comments that were love when I opened my edit scree? I'll ask my tech team but rest assured we are not deleting your comments!

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:36 PM

• Snooth User: Jonar

Greg, Thanks! Originally I stated that I found a dozen 9 oz tulip glasses from an internet restaurant supply house, roughly $4 each. I really like the Riedel large Bordeaux for everything other than bubbly.
    A local liquor store includes one of these with each "big" charity wine tasting in the Fall and Spring, $20 tasting if anyone wants to look for MacAdoodles in Pineville, MO for 150+ wines to taste from many different distributors / wineries.

Dec 06, 2012 at 1:39 PM

• erniex is right onhere. We have these midsize tulip glasses, ours were called "DOC" glasses on the box. They turn up at tastings and are ideal for whites and cognacs and rums and grappa/cachacas. Little pear shaped glasses we find best with whiskies and eaux des vies. Schott/Zwiesel type taller, bigger tulip and burgundy glasses enhance good wines. We noticed more of a flatter, less high bowl shaped glass was served in Alsace and find that enhances their regional varieties. In general if you serve a larger glass with a more aromatic wine it enables the guest to swirl it around, also for air contact to be maximised and bring out the flavours. If a young red, pouring it into a decanter then into the big glass will do this especially from high up.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM

• fentastic

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM

• I prefer owning 2 sets of stemmed wine glasses, one short yet with a nice round bowl. The other set has much taller stem & much larger bowl for entertaining & dinners. The first of the two is for the casual "how about we share a bottle" galss, the second choice is keep the glass unempty making sure diners have wine at all times throughout dinner. I also did my own research on the stemless glasses which I really dislike as they get messy looking over the course of the evening, & yes they do warm the wine terribly. Also with stemmed glasses you can add stem rings so that your guests don't end up drinking out of someone else's glass. Often my friends bring along their own little stem rings knowing that I would NEVER serve wine in a stemless glass! BTW I NEVER put my wine glasses in the dishwasher. They are hand washed with small amount of detergent, rinsed thoroughly & dried with lint free coffee filters for a beautiful clear glass. Wine glases get destroyed in the dishwasher & always leave spots that are going to affect the taste of the wine. Oh, I do have a very nice 20 oz. large bowl (stemmed) glass as well.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM