Where To Go in January

With the new year comes new wine events to attend

Next » 1 of 7
Where To Go in January It’s the start of a new year, and as with most things, this time of year talk is ripe with proud promises to eat healthier, buy more intelligently, show restraint with vices, and live life to the fullest.

As a wine geek, that live life to the fullest bit can be a little challenging. I mean, there are so many great wine experiences out there waiting for you, from visits to wineries to grand tasting adventures, that it can be difficult to put things in perspective. I mean, how are you supposed to allocate your resources towards all this grand living?

Well, I can help a little, but not too much. I certainly can give you suggestions about where to go, and who to visit, but the truth of the matter is that there are more great wine events every year than I can keep track, much less attend. But that doesn’t mean I can’t share with you my dream list of wine events in January that I wish I could attend!

Wine Tasting image via Shutterstock

Comments

• How could you overlook the Winter Wineland event in Sonoma County the weekend of Jan. 19 & 20? I have been going for years. About 140 wineries open their doors for a pay-one-price tasting event. What fun!

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:54 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

This was a fun article. Unforunately--let me change that--fortunately, late January is pretty booked up for me. So, the west coast options--the Zin event in S.F. and the Sonoma event added by Carl--that I might have considered are not in the cards for 2013. Maybe 2014.

Greg, I hope you make a column like this a monthly regular feature.,

Jan 07, 2013 at 3:53 PM

• Snooth User: InWineTruth
    220106 1,634

Russian River Wine Road's Winter Wineland is one hell of a good time, covering Sonoma County's Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, and Green Valley AVA's. Exploring so many tasting choices, most veteran participants arrive with a wine plan for the two day event. See http://www.wineroad.com/events/wint... for details, and have fun!

Jan 07, 2013 at 3:54 PM

• You are right about having a plan! We hire a limo driver and give him the list of must see wineries ahead of time. He maps it out to make the best use of our time. With the right driver and right attitude, you can make a serious dent in the number of wineries to visit. They often have food and entertainment, too.

There are a few favorites we always visit but much of the fun is in finding little known wineries that offer wonderful wines. Now I am in too many wine clubs!

Jan 07, 2013 at 6:32 PM

• Snooth User: Martin E

How about the 2010 Cru Classé Bordeaux Tasting event with f2f meetings with the owners of some of the best Chateaux? Many of them are coming to Houston (where I live) on January 17, but if I am not mistaken, the main events are in NYC, LA, San Francisco, and Miami.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:52 PM