Top Sangiovese Destinations

5 places not to miss on your next trip to Italy

« Prev Next » 5 of 13
La Dolce Vita

Life in Italy is “la dolce vita” indeed. The food, the pace of life and the quality of life all come together to make time spent there absolutely magical. Montepulciano is a magical hilltop village. On cloudy days you can get the impression of sailing along on a sea of clouds from the edges of town!

La Dolce Vita wine bar adds a bit of that magic to every day. With a casual restaurant attached to the wine shop, it is the perfect place to while away a few hours getting to know all about Montepulciano. The wine list here obviously focuses on things local but is varied enough to ensure your palate will never get bored.

Comments

• Snooth User: il Sodo

Nice, friendly wine estates to taste Sangiovese: Poggio Amorelli (Chianti Classico Area), Sant'Appiano (Chianti Area, San Gimignano), Bindella (Montepulciano Area).

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

• One of my favorite wineries in the Chianti region is Manucci-Droandi. The owners are involved in the slow food movement, and they have a vineyard section devoted to ancient varietals. The wine is very good quality and a very fair price. They also produce a wonderful olive oil. The winery is in Caposelvi near Montevarchi.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

• Snooth User: tsalley55

In Montalcino, visit Enoteca La Fortezza. They offer digustazioni of interesting local wines and of course Brunello. My wife and I visited several locations for tasting and this was our favorite, no enomatics and no preoccupations about buying (I was frankly relieved by the lack of pressure, and we ended up buying six bottles, all brunello). The associate who helped us with our tasting was very knowledgeable about the region, producers, their vineyards, etc. He also spoke English well.

We bought six bottles, and the shop discounted our tasting as well as the shipping fee, which was a gracious gesture. The shipping was UPS (climate controlled in the EU). The wine landed in the US in New Jersey and ended up in my hands the next day (NC). A very satisfying experience. Unless you are seeking out a specific bottle, I wouldn't bother with the other enotecas in town.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM

• La Pergola in Radicondoli is THE find ---and I've been to Tuscany at least 10 times.
    Great food, great wine, great service.... all complemented by the most spectacular sunset I've ever witnessed.....I cannot imaging going back to Toscana and NOT going back there.

Runners up?--Sosta di Pio VII near Poggibonsi.....also Il Pozzo inside the walls at Monteriggione----(BUT it is really tough to have a lousy experience almost anywhere in Tuscany!)

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

• Went to Castello Banfi and did the wine lunch and tour. They just kept pouring the '06 Brunello. Food and service were great and the hospitality were top notch. I know it's more touristy, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

• Snooth User: SteveArch
    197523 0

Actually, the Palio occurs twice in any given year....

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

• Ristorante "Oltre Il Giardino" in Panzano, Tuscany. Lovely lunch spot, beautiful outside dining area, overlooks the famed "Conca d'Oro" section of the Chianti Classico DOCG.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

• I dont know about the tourist scene or the friendlier vineyards, and I have never been to Tuscany.

But if I had to visit a place based on the taste of its red wine I would choose Maremma, on the basis of Mongrana 2009.

There seems to be a nice holiday as well around Cinque Terre, La Spezia, Ortonovo beginning to form in my mind, based on talks with locals and expat Italians

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

• if you want a view you can best drive to cortona. If you like peace and quit go to pienza.
    for winetasting i went to poliziano and Tenute Silvio Nardo.
    If you want a nice place to stay go to agriturismo La Solvana.

Apr 01, 2012 at 8:58 AM