Where to Drink in New Orleans

Top spots for one of the greatest drinking cities

Next » 1 of 11
Where to Drink in New Orleans With spring weather creeping up on us, it is time to consider places to spend a long weekend. After this recent taste of 70 degree weather, I can do without a return to the more typical weather of a New York spring time: temperatures in the 50s are forecasted for next week, with dampness set to accompany it.

When the weather turns wet and dreary I head for places south. One of my favorite places to go, in fact one of the world’s greatest drinking cities, is New Orleans.

You might be thinking of hurricane cocktails and cheap beer in the Big Easy, but it’s also an epicurean delight - with fantastic restaurants and some pretty amazing places to grab a drink. Won’t you join me as I laissez les bons temps roulez on this dreary Monday!

Photo courtesy Adam Reeder via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: Amanda Schuster

Great list! I would also add Bacchanal on Poland Ave. It's a lovely setting where you pick your wine in the front store then take it into the beautiful, lush and viney back garden patio setting to drink. It's like stepping into another world. Good food too! http://www.bacchanalwine.com/

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: DJ Katie

Having lived in New Orleans last year I must say I was impressed by some of the local finds you listed. Of course, there are hundreds more, but you touched on some of my favorites. Next time you visit, you may want to visit some of the wine bars that all over the french quarter & warehouse district. Great read & thanks!

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

• Snooth User: robinkjsd

laissez les bons temps roulez

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

• Well done. I was just in NOLA and found Patrick's Bar Vin, http://patricksbarvin.com right off Bourbon Street. A great place to escape the insanity.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

• Snooth User: Idareyato

Took notes I feel like I'm ready to take the trip of a lifetime.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

• Snooth User: InWineTruth
    220106 1,634

We're visiting the Big Easy next month and can't wait to follow-up on your recommendations. Thanks to everyone!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

• Snooth User: Jadedx

Lived in NOLA in the late '90s during my Gothic/Vampire phase. Dropped a plate of beignets in my head to toe, black clad, lap at the Cafe' Du Monde. Still laugh about it to this day. Love and miss you NOLA. My heart will always belong to Igor's Buddha Belly on Magazine and Jenna.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

• Snooth User: drathmell

Bacchanal should definitely be on this list as Amanda noted. It's got a laid back atmosphere and great food on an outdoor patio with live Music. It's located in the Bywater near the Industrial Canal. I would also add to that list the recently renovated Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone, located in the heart of the French Quarter. There are so many other great watering holes the list could go on and on. These are just two that came to mind.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM

• Snooth User: drathmell

Also, the Maison Depuy Hotel is celebrating the New Orleans Wine Festival with dinner and wine tastings every Tuesday and Wednesday night thru April, I believe. Information is available on their website.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

• Snooth User: smithdaj54

Great picks! Just got back from NOLA and LOVED WINO! Lafites has the best hurricanes in town. Napoleon's house seems to be where locals go if on Bourbon St., enjoyed the Pimms!

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

• Snooth User: jprepass

Some great picks, especially the Napoleon House where this author and New Orleans native has been a customer since 1969, and where bartender Mario is amazing --- truly knowledgeable, great personality, and he can make a proper Ramos Gin Fizz! But you left off one place that is just as outstanding, the bar at TuJacques on Decatur not far from Cafe du Monde, presided over by the brilliant bar master Paul, who makes cocktails the old-fashioned way --- with hard work, and attention to detail --- and who has a deep knowledge of what makes New Orleans tick. Paul is not talkative --- but he is very, very wise.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM

• This does look like a great list but I'm having a problem printing it (computer crashes). I wish Snooth would set up printable files of their articles instead of always having to print the web pages, usually multiple web pages to get the whole article.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM

• Snooth User: Kirsy Muñoz

Love this article! my best friend and I have been planing a trip NOLA and now we have the perfect itinerary to complement our volunteering experience! Thank you GDP!

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

• Snooth User: rhoff28

Spent a weekend in NOLA last summer and stumbled upon Coquette Bistro in the Garden District. Adorable little corner spot with inventive cocktails and delicious wines. Didn't get a chance to eat, but I could have spent all day there throwing back rose like water.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM

• Wow. I wandered all through the NOLAFE web information. Looks like great fun with good winery participation. Maximo's Italian Grill is still there and doing a Wine Dinner. We ate there over twenty years ago and we named a dish on our menu after our dinner there. Nice to know there is longevity.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM