What to Drink Now

What the hell do I drink now?

Next » 1 of 7
What to Drink Now It’s a common question and I get it from newbies and experts all the time. We sometimes find ourselves in a rut and don’t know how to get out of it, or simply just don’t know what our next step should be.

Wine is crazy complex and once you’ve found a typical gateway wine, say white Zinfandel or Riesling, for example (both generally sweet wines), moving onto what the experts recommend and rate highly, often results in the kind of shock usually reserved for electric outlets and pencils, though right to the kisser – POW!

Once you’re started down this crazy road we call wine appreciation, it’s important to never stop for too long. You can have your favorites and stick with them, but you have to always keep experimenting. Not only will you discover that there are many great wines out there, but you’ll also see that your palate constantly is evolving, so those super dry wines you hated last year might be oddly appealing this year. Take it easy and ease into the world of wine by exploring the broad categories that you should be drinking now!

Photo courtesy davedugdale via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: teddz

In my recent tastings of newer varietals, I use a good torrontes for an aromatic wine. Easy to find ones that are dry and nicely balanced. Also curious where you would place albarinho in your groupings, which I see as presenting a rather riesling-like palate.

Aug 08, 2011 at 2:12 PM

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Mostly drinking Pinot Grigio these days for the GTI - enjoying it more than usual too, probably because it's the right time to be drinking it.

Aug 08, 2011 at 3:48 PM

• We have been on a rose and chardonnay kick this summer, both being new to us. Also appreciating fruitier and sweeter than in past. Does anyone else agree: too many wines, not enough time? The more we taste, the more we find to appreciate.

Aug 08, 2011 at 6:20 PM

• "What the hell do I drink now?"

The only time we find this question arising is when we have had a light white as an aperitif, a white Burgundy with the starter, a good claret with the main course and a pudding wine with the dessert.

The answer seems to be Port...

Aug 09, 2011 at 5:03 AM

• While I know all of this, this is all put together is a very simple fashion, and I like it, even though we know it get much complicated.

Well done.

@teddz: yes, I would put albarinho as somewhat similar to riesling as well.

Aug 09, 2011 at 5:40 AM

• I would put Albarino, or alvarinho in Portuguese, in the aromatic camp, based on its exotic nose and complexity
    I am also a bit puzzled by the descriptions of Riesling as sweet. Its usually dry and high acidity, whether from Alsace or Australia, with a kind of lime/lemon attack.
    Ultimately these divisions are a little arbitrary. You can get fine pinot grigios that are rich, sauvignons from Italy and muscadets sur lies from France that belong in the aromatic camp, and unoaked young chardonnays that go in the light category.
    The key is to have an open mind. The colour of the wine is usually a clue - from light nearly clear to bright golden yellow. This in turn partly reflects the wines youth and freshness, or age and oaking

Aug 09, 2011 at 5:55 AM

• I think the conusion around Riesling exists because it's been featured on dessert menus for so long in this country. In the past year, at a very fancy NYC restaurant, I asked if the featured Riesling was on the dry or sweeter side: the waiter replied that all Rieslings are going to be sweet. Total myth! Any grape can produce a dry or a sweet wine, and obviously differs year over year. This year's Finger Lakes Rieslings are much less acidic than 2009, and the word of the year up there seems to be "peach."

Aug 09, 2011 at 7:44 AM

• Snooth User: teddz

Any waiter who says all rieslings are going to be sweet is an idiot and shouldn't be employed much longer. True, there is an inherent "sweet" bias against US rieslings. Not sure how to overcome this. In addition to NY rieslings,there is the Ch St Michelle dry riesling which was especially good in 2008, still pretty good in 2009 and pretty close to dry ALsace riesling in style. Welcome other recommendations. As for fruit styles/flavors, "peach" has always signaled Rheingau/Nahe style to me, whereas "green apple" is Mosel/Saar/Ruwer.

Aug 09, 2011 at 10:45 PM

• How about an assyrtiko from Santorini? A grape that can retain high levels of acidity and sugars at the same time and producing some unique full bodied dry white wines.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:46 AM

• Riesling is seldom sweet in the UK and we get them dry from Alsace, Australia, NZ and Spain. Perhpas you in the USA are getting that stuff that gives German wine a bad name. I know they do lovely dry slate rieslings in Pfalz, like Donnhoff, but usually you have to go to Germany to get the good stuff, which should be grapey yet dry and spicy
    I certainly agree, that the waiter in the fancy restaurant does not know his wine. I would love to find a sweet riesling just to try it here in UK.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:54 AM