What to Drink Now

Episode IX: Rich Whites

Next » 1 of 8
What to Drink Now As I’m writing this series of tasting exploration, you can see the previous editions here, I am repeatedly pointing out that many wines can be slotted into various categories and this sort of breakdown is really much more challenging than one would think. While that is true, it’s also true that I’m not trying to build the perfect organizational chart of grape varieties. I’m just hoping to help you find wines you like based on other wines you may or may not like!

With rich whites, there is some leeway. Interestingly, the groups of rich whites sort of break down by sweetness (sugar certainly adds weight) and an inherent richness. In a way, a paucity of acid could be the third pillar of rich white wines and I’m thinking that that would make for a fine article on its own; but today let’s just take a look at those oily whites you love, or hate.

Photo courtesy TAHbKA via Flickr/CC

Comments

• viognier?

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

• Snooth User: dyye

One of our favorites uses Marsanne for blending. Here in Washington Alexandria Nicole's Shepherds Mark From Prosser,Washington. It is a blend of Rousanne,Vionier and Marsanne.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM

• how about petite manseng?

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM

• Excellent article. A few wines I need to try!
    I too enjoy the richness of Viognier! Satin Sheets for the tongue is what I call my favorite Viognier.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

Alexandria Nicole should get more credit than they do, their Viongier is beautiful, every wine I have tried I found a reason to fall in love.....

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM

• Snooth User: whauptman

A white wine that often gets overlooked is Albarino from northwest Spain. Fruity and weighty, I love the apple flavors that often come through. I drank a great deal of it while in Spain and can't understand why it is not more popular.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM

• Albarinos from NW Spain are deeelicious. They may be scarce as often hand picked on very hilly slopes, that make mechanising the grape collection too risky. Well said!
    If you ever go back and see Txakoli you might like that too, its more like a cider-ish vinho verde
    Others that are a little hard to find but usually excellent are Vermentino from Italy, Sardinia and Corsica, and Muscat wines, which go all the way from dry and spicy to Vin Doux/grains nobles sweeter styles, which often pair well with cheese. These are all aromatic and full wines that are unjustly overlooked IMHO.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:41 AM

• Snooth User: tlogue

why can't I get to the actual wine recommendation at the end of each section?

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM

• What wine recommendation is that?

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:02 AM

• I thought Kerner was a recent (new) clone grape. Iit seems an odd choice as it is rarely seen on sale, compared to say Viognier, which is turning up everywhere, and is usually aromatic and high in alcohol

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:05 AM

I've included Viognier in the Aromatic Whites section of this series which can be found here \:http://www.snooth.com/articles/what...

Yes Kerner is a relatively recent addition to the grape growers arsenal, having been released tot he market in only 1969 but how many of us have been drinking any of these wines from an earlier date? The point of these articles is to point people to grapes, common and uncommon, that might appeal to their palate.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:54 AM