What to Drink Now

Episode III: Light crisp whites

Comments

• Snooth User: cwoxford

What about viogniers?

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Coming soon to an aromatic wine article near you!

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM

• Snooth User: Rona Lewis

Ooh, I"m glad he asked that. And I'm glad you had an answer, Gregory!

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM

• Snooth User: edelgads

I'm so glad you mentioned Asyrtiko in this article! This varietal, like many others from Greece (Moscofilero!) are really fantastic, great values, and largely unknown by the general public. Kudos for bringing some attention to it!

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM

• Snooth User: ryllaar

You inspired us with your Global Tasting Initiative. Expat Kochen (Basel, Switzerland) is hosting a tasting Thursday evening. As Alsace is in our backyard we'll try some of those and some Italians I imagine. Wish you could join! http://www.expatkochen.com

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:47 AM

• Snooth User: whauptman

I know it isn't very fashionable, but I found several Australian chardonnays, unoaked, very agreeable as a summer aperitif. Also a sauvignon blanc+pinot gris combination is very fine as well. But for me a cool Riesling from the Mosel, a Kabinett, with preferably no more alcohol than 8% is tops.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:11 AM

• Snooth User: Provencal

And if you're in the Piemonte, you might try the Arneis

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM

• Snooth User: whauptman

Arneis is fine, but I never found it light and a summer preference. How about Orvieto? Much of it is mass produced, but I've had some on Italian terraces that were lively, refreshing, and simply delicious to sip.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

• Snooth User: Wykd Imp

Additionally, a nice Verdejo from Rueda would fit the bill...

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

• Snooth User: whauptman

Yes for the Verdejo. I had some lovely bottles while I was in Spain. I found, too, that Spanish Sauvignon Blanc was deliciously appealing. I did not associate the grape with Spain earlier and was surprised at its bracing flavors and tangy acidity. What I drank in hot weather was not as harsh as some of the NZ stuff.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:55 AM