Western Australia's Up-and-Coming Wine Region

The stunning Margaret River wine region

Comments

• Snooth User: Caroline Henry
    332026 8,253

Hi Matthew,
    great article but after reading the title on Twitter (WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S UP-AND-COMING WINE REGION) I was thinking of some obscure new trendy region rather than Margaret River - which is in my opinion pretty established both in WA and as one of Australia's premium wine regions:-) Together w the Barossa and the Hunter Valley I would even say that it is one of Australia's best known wine regions:-)

May 07, 2012 at 2:01 PM

• Snooth User: Bill427

Any news about Amadio wines becoming available in America ?

May 07, 2012 at 4:48 PM

• Snooth User: hugh27

Arlewood Estates is one of the most scored and premium wines from the region at great price points- worth a try- one of the first of the WA greats
    Hugh

May 07, 2012 at 5:29 PM

• Snooth User: jennym

Having our daughter living in Perth has meant five trips Down Under...and several to the Margaret River region. Have done a Bushtucker canoe trip (but took a pass on the witchetty grubs!), visited Cape Leeuwin...and walked for miles through the Kerri forest when our car died! Great memories...and truly great wines!

May 07, 2012 at 5:43 PM

• Snooth User: Bobby Boy
    219559 22

My wife and I spent a very enjoyable 7 days there including Christmas Day last year.
    Wine highlights are the superlative Cabernet Sauvignon and blends (Moss Wood, Woodlands, Vasse Felix, Houghton Gladstones, Cape Mentelle, Gralyn, Lenton Brae etc.). Shiraz does not show as well here in my opinion. Some very good examples of Tempranillo - too hot for consistently good Pinot - maybe at Pemberton. With whites, Chardonnay is excellent (Leeuwin Estate, Vasse Felix, Pierro, Cullen etc) also Semillon Sauvignon Blanc blends do very well, some see oak, others do not. Also some great winery Restaurants NB. Leeuwin Estate, Voyager etc)

May 07, 2012 at 9:17 PM

• Interesting introduction to what is, to my mind, a very well-established wine region. Only thing is that I find it hard to consider WA to be termed a cool-climate area. Sure the maritime proximity cools it but this seems generally one of the warmer areas of viticulture around the world. William B.

May 08, 2012 at 10:10 AM

• Snooth User: Gunny
    71994 1

I have had the distinct pleasure of tasting Devil's Lair Reds. Big, superb wines. Give them a try.

May 08, 2012 at 3:58 PM