Viognier Tasting Notes

The renaissance of a White Rhone varietal

One of the great stories of the past decade has been the renaissance of Viognier.

With new producers in the Rhône Valley as well as an explosion of producers from emerging regions like Virginia, Washington state and Paso Robles, all pushing for cleaner, purer expressions of the grape, consumers were offered exciting new alternatives to more familiar varieties. The response has been an resounding success.

With its flamboyant peach and floral aromatics, smooth texture and generally soft acidity, modern Viognier has struck a cord with consumers’ palates. If there is a hiccup to be found here, it’s the delicate balance of sweetness that many Viogniers need to balance out that faint edge of bitterness which comes with many of the wines.

Photo courtesy mswine via Flickr/CC
Viognier, like most aromatic white wines, is a rather phenolic grape and phenols can be bitter. Phenols also imbue a wine with richness and perfumes, so as winemakers push their wines to be more viscous and powerful in the mouth, they tend to also draw more phenols into their wines by extending skin contact during the fermentation process.

The touch of sweetness that many Viogniers posses helps to balance out that bitterness, though some wines show a bit too much sugar for my palate. While it can be a minor issue it’s one worth mentioning, particularly since so many producers seem to have found their sweet spot today, producing wines that are both aromatic and balanced if a little less oily and bitter than in years past.

I was able to taste quite a few Virginian Viognier during my visit there last year. While none were included in my recent tasting of the variety, I can attest to the mighty fine quality of the region’s efforts. Producers such as Blenheim, Veritas and Horton are all putting out wines that deserve to be noticed. I hope to report on additional Virginian, and for that matter Texan, Viogniers in the months and years to come, but today let’s take a look at some recently tasted examples from around the globe.

1 2 3 next

Comments

• Dear Gregory,
    I have to admit being hugely disappointed with Viognier based wines in the United States. One of my great favourite appellations is Condrieu and I try to taste as much Viognier as I can in the hope of coming across such a similar wonderful complex balance between fruit and minerality (which as I'm sure you would agree is the hallmark of this wonderful grape). The sad fact is that all the Californian Viognier I have tasted is basically fruit notes - some very peach and apricot drenched as you rightly point out. But they are all very one-dimensional. I tried just about all the Viognier in Santa Ynes and Ojai recently. It's over-priced and really just fruit forward - very little structure at all.
    Now I'm not saying that all Viognier can reach the heights of a fine Condrieu and be similarly priced. But for example K and L sell Yves Cuillerons Viogner 2010, Vin de Pays Des Collinnes Rhodaniennes at 27.99. Now if you could show me a US produced Viognier that stands up to Cuilleron's in price and complexity I'd be buying it by the case load.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM

• Snooth User: Buckyboy

In response to alexharvey, try the Viognier from Pride Mountain Vineyards on the Napa-Sonoma border. It is excellent!

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

• My favorite right now is Freemark Abbey, but I like dry Vioginer. Also David Bruce Vioginer/Roussane is wonderful.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM

• Thanks Buckyboy and tastingroomaz. I'll try both Freemark and Pride Mountain Vineyards in the hope of finding some minerality, that wonderful 'gravelly' undertow with balances the powerful fruit that you get in the good Southern Rhone Viogniers. But I do wonder whether the terrain and the soil here is just too good and accounts for why up to now all I find in the Californian expression of the grape is fruit and more fruit.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

• Snooth User: RUS
    119003 272

McManus Family Viognier (CA) is a nice every day wine, as it their Petite Syrah.

Speaking of Virginian Viognier, I brought the Jefferson Vineyards Viognier 2009 to a tasting last weekend and it was well received. I don't know that it's twice the wine the McManus is, but the law of diminishing returns effects all wine purchases.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

• @RUS - I'll also try the Jefferson Viognier. But the question I raise again fellow vinophiles - is does American Viognier have anything other than fruit notes (luscious and fulsome though that fruit can be)?

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

• Snooth User: jjknight38

2007 Bien Nacido Viognier from Anglim Winery in Paso Robles was a brute of a wine! Shared with about 6 people at a summer park and it lasted about 15 minutes.This iteration did seem to find that balance between the phenol bitterness and rich flavors of honey and peach as a counterpoint. Residual sugar...probably, but enjoyable without being too cerebral.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

• Snooth User: BettyWine

I love Porter Creek's Viognier. Has anybody here tried it? I'd love to hear what you think.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

• How could you forget about Morgan Clendenen and her brand Cold Heaven. She has been specializing in cool climate Viognier since 1996.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

• @StaRitaHills
    Now Cold Heaven is exactly the kind of Southern Californian Viognier that I have tasted extensively and I think is overpriced and extremely limited. It can retail for as much as 34 dollars and is simply not worth it. That was why I posted earlier about the Southern Rhone Viogniers such as Yves Cuilleron's Van de Pays. One has to have a greater sense of what this grape, in fine winemaking hands and good terroir, can deliver. Not simply a ripe mushiness of floral and excess fruit notes. But something more complex and layered. Something that can rival a fine White Burgundy at times.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

• @StaRitaHills

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

• Morgan Clendenen and Yves Cuilleron have been collaborating together on multiple vintages & share the label Domaine des Deux Mondes. Yes Yves crafts a vin de pays, but he is a Northern Rhone winemaker holding 52 hectares in multiple AOPs including Condriue and Côte Rôtie. Futhermore just because a wine is labelled vin pays does not necessarily mean it's a regional wine. With 90 something %of wines in the Rhine being produced in the south I would not be surprised if he was working with some southern Rhine grapes. And of course you know there are no Viognier specific AOPs in the south. Are you sure there are southern rhone grapes in his vin de pays or is it just produced outside of AOP regulation? You wrote of complexed and layered viogniers then in the next sentence white burgundy, Viognier is by nature a less acidic grape than chardonnay. I suggest you drink burgundy if you want burgundy. Viognier should lift from the glass. Good luck with your Paso viogniers.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

• Fuck iPads I meant *** Rhône

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

• Thanks @ StaRitaHills for the information about the collaboration between Cuilleron and Morgan Clendenen - very interesting. And yes, of course your right that Cuilleron is a Northern Rhone producer, famed for his Condrieu. The vins de pays des Collines Rhondaniennes come from the Rhone wine hills which apparently allow them to go as far as parts of the Loire, Ardeche as well as Southern Rhone. And you are right too that great Viognier should lift from the glass. But I stand by my main point which is about powerful structure of good Viognier. Not just 'specious perfume and sweetness' as Jancis Robinson once put it. Opulent with fruit yes but also with sufficient acidity. Now where do I find that in American viognier?

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM

• Being that Virginia is known for its Viognier and including not one in this review is a smack in the face to Virginia winemakers. Yet you include a Texan Viognier? I think that taints the validity of your review altogether. Although I always stand by the motto - "Drink what you like and ignore the wine snobs."

Jul 03, 2012 at 2:39 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

I really enjoy the Alexandria Nicole Viognier from Columbia Valley, Washington State

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM