Moscato is on fire.
Pay attention to this emerging trend because Moscato will be one of the hottest categories of the next year.
Four of our top 10 wines are Moscato in fact, and when I say four, I mean numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4!
1) Beviamo Moscato
2) Primo Amore Moscato
3) Castello del Poggio
4) Barefoot Moscato
Champagne is always popular and we have three brands in our top 10
5) Heidsieck & co. Blue Top Monopole
7) Moet & Chandon Imperial
10) Veuve Cliquot NV Brut
But the big story is with the red wines!
Once we move past the top two things really do get interesting. There are the latest value winners clustered near the top. When I was compiling the data for this list I was not surprised to quickly find a Malbec, but when that turned out to be the sole Malbec on the list I had to ask myself if Malbec has jumped the Shark?
Rounding out the list were a pair of Valpolicellas and the Zacagini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, showing the typical strength of the middle reange of Italian wines, and a Cotes du Rhone box wine which should prove to be a harbinger of things to come. I expect we will see another push towards better quality box wine and the market is probably ready for it now. We’ve changed opinions regarding screwcaps, and I think the low buzz regarding the benefits of box wine are gaining in intensity.
The real winner here? Cabernet taking five of the top spots, and Bordeaux in particular garnering 3 of those. Who said Bordeaux was dead? Oh yeah that was me, sort of. I’ve been trying to point people towards the value priced, less spoofy Bordeaux and while I’m not claiming responsibility for this pop, it looks like the incessant focus on Bordeaux continues to have a spillover effect on lower priced wines.
The biggest surprise here? Not a single Pinot Noir in the top 15, though I’ve just added an additional 5 wines to the list since there are two in the top 20 wines
So please let me know what you’re seeing out there by commenting below.
Is Cabernet, and Bordeaux in particular heating up?
Has Pinot petered out?
Is Malbec’s sun setting?
Top 20 most searched for red wines over the past 30 days on Snooth.
1) Sweet Bitch Merlot 2009
2) Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz 2010
3) Apothic Red Winemaker's Blend 2009
4) Celler del Roure Valencia les Alcusses 2008
5) Diseno Malbec 2010
6) Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2008
7) Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella 2007
8) San Silvestro Dulcis Rosso 2009
9) Château Tassin Côtes de Bordeaux 2009
10) Côtes-du-Rhône Domaine le Garrigon 2010
11) Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
12) Chateau de Launay Bordeaux Superieur Red 2005
13) Château Simard St.-Émilion 1999
14) Tenuta Sant'Antonio Valpolicella Superiore Monti Garbi Ripasso 2008
15) J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Oaks 2009
16) La Crema Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast 2009
17) Te Awa Cabernet-Merlot 2007
18) Orin Swift "The Prisoner" Napa Valley 2009
19) Belle Glos Pinot Noir Meiomi 2009
20) Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages 2009