Top Syrah Wines $12-$25

6 wines that might appeal to your palette

Next » 1 of 9
Top Syrah Wines $12-$25
So Syrah has an identity crisis, but what are you supposed to do about it? That’s a good question, and the answer is quite limited by the information that is offered to you. After all, it is with this information that you are able to make decisions and choices worth talking about.

Kudos to Cline for not only making a terrific Syrah, but for pointing out that a certain bottling of theirs is a Cool Climate Syrah. This particular bottle, I tasted three Syrah wines from Cline, turned out to be that which I preferred. Stating that something is Cool Climate is the sort of information I would like to see more of.

Cline’s Estate Syrah also made this list. The Estate is both more expensive than the Cool Climate bottling and more intense.

On the flip side, Excelsior, who has consistently produced a fine value, seems to have moved from using the Shiraz moniker to Syrah. While this wine is delicious, to my palate it is made more in the Shiraz style. I would appreciate knowing this sort of thing before plunking down its modest price.

We’re going to need more help from the industry if we are to sort out this identity crisis. In the meantime, I hope the notes that follow guide you toward wines that appeal to your palate!

Photo courtesy Le Vin Parfait via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Just today I found a 2005 Fess Parker Syrah at 15.7% for under $25 and I'm loving it. After I open the second bottle to see if it is consistent I'll probably buy the inventory.
    RetiredGator

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

• Snooth User: homestar

knowing more about the difference a cool climate makes is information I'd like to see more of :)

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Glad to hear it Gator!

Homestar, it's a great topic, let me see what I can do!

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

• Snooth User: arhoflh

I'm a huge fan of the 6th sense syrah by Micheal and David.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

• Snooth User: gerrad

identity crisis? somebody forgot to tell aussie shiraz about that..but then we OWN shiraz and u all know it- or you would if you tasted some ; 'first drop- the cream', torbreck- the gask', 'elderton- command', or even better..'seppelt- st.peter". not to mention, peter lehmann, henschke, and stuff like leeuwin estate, howard park, voyager or cape mentelle from margaret river, for a less full bodied, earthy style!

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM

• Snooth User: osca1600

Yes I agree, what identy crises could Shiraz possibly have. As Gerrard notes, out here in Oz, we grow and produce some of the world's best Shiraz (none of this silly Syrah nonsense nomenclature please). The best regions for this include the Coonawarra, McLaren Vale, Barossa and Clare Valley in South Aus, Margret River in WA and the Hunter Valley in NSW. As for being able to purchase decent Shiraz for under $25, no dramas here, as there is plenty of choice available.

The problem with Snooze is that you are so US focussed and the world thereafter but rarely if ever does Aus rate a mention. Give us a break for a change, we also grow and produce some of the world's best Pinot in Tassie, Sauvignon Blanc the equal of NZ etc etc.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM