Top 5 Italian Sangiovese

The leaders from Chianti

Next » 1 of 7
Top 5 Italian Sangiovese Sangiovese is a bit of a chameleon, even in Italy. At its best, at least for my palate, it’s all about pure red fruits framed with distinct earthy, leather notes, a touch of bitter almond and some fine herbal accents. That and some lightly austere tannins and succulent acidity are what make Sangiovese one of the wines I drink most often.

I’m not always looking for complexity and power with Sangiovese. In fact, it’s often quite the opposite as I turn to Chianti and Rosso di Montalcino as a refuge from power and richness! I love the structure of these wines and the way the fruit weaves its way around it. I have to admit that seeing an Umbrian Sangiovese finishing so strongly here did bring a smile to my face. It is a lovely wine and more Chianti than many Chiantis! A great value and a wine every Sangiovese lover should try!

Photo courtesy francesco sgroi via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: shsim

This is really exciting! Thank you for the great post Greg! I will be hunting these down!

Mar 06, 2012 at 12:04 PM

• Snooth User: wimryan

Greg;
    Any specific reason no Brunellos made the list? Can't be simply price, because one of my favorites is the Caparzo green label, which can be had for $30 or so. It is such a nice, light, fruity Brunello. Obviously some of the 100% Sangioveses are way overpriced, but there are some dreamy offerings out there for much less than most would think.

Mar 06, 2012 at 4:01 PM

• What about WA state...Leonetti...Andrew Will just to name 2 top ones...and then there are others like: Maryhill...Walla Walla ...Cana’s Feast...!!!???!!!

Mar 06, 2012 at 4:13 PM

• Snooth User: IL BAR

HI Greg:

Have you tried Sangiovesse from the De Franchi family of the Monterosso Estate in South Africa.

This is for me one of the best Sangiovesse around at R42.50 $5.50 per bottle, it is exceptional value for the quality and utter enjoyment. I love to send you a bottle or two

Mar 07, 2012 at 3:35 AM

• Chianti Classico Reserva a surprise hit with chicken livers, offal generally, if you find money is tight after buying some!

Mar 07, 2012 at 4:44 AM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Poor Greg, everyone wants him to try their favorite Sangio. Blood, sweat and tears on this job, eh? Leonetti definitely has its followers, but it sure isn't cheap.
    GdP, keep up the hard work.

Mar 08, 2012 at 12:52 PM