Top 12 Barolo Producers, Part II

The best of the best in Barolo

Next » 1 of 8
Top 12 Barolo Producers, Part II So we meet again to follow up on my somewhat surprising list of the best producers of Barolo. This time around, it’s the top six list. These are the heavy hitters, the super stars, the best of the best.

To me, these are all very obvious choices. Each has produced a line up of spectacular wines for at least a decade, often longer, and they are well known and well represented in the cellars of wine lovers everywhere. Even so, I still want to recognize their efforts myself.

So here we go, the six best Barolo producers in my opinion are…

Comments

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I mostly agree with you, your picks are the best in the business right now. Just one dubt. Conterno at #6, no questions about his wines but too expansive (my opinion is exactly the same and like you i can't afford it...) but Mascarello, your #1, is not very far from Conterno prices (Ca'D' Morissio is around 250€ here) and both have unquestionable quality. Why did you want this distance between them? I onestly don't see it.

Are you gone to Nebbiolo prima? A bit envious of your visit to Langhe. :)

May 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Here in the states Monprivato is about $90 a botle and Mascarello's villero can be had for $75 a bottle, compared with $120 for Cascina Francia. A big jump in price and I'm not sure there is a difference in quality to help support that difference. If we're talking about all Barolo, and I was specifically discussing wines under $125 a bottle, then Monfortino wins hands down.

Back from Nebbiolo Prima, in fact I spent 2 weeks there, and extra week beforehand just to visit many of my favorite producers. Now I'm in Brazil of all places!

May 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I miss your 125$ price limit, now I agree a little more your list. :)
    I really appreciate reading the name of Bartolo Mascarello, better Maria Teresa Mascarello, he deserves it. He has on his shoulder a huge legacy. Same reason of Cappellano (maybe you have understand, i prefer traditional style... :D ).

May 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

• Completely agree re your inclusion of Chiara Boschis, but omitting Domenico Clerico is criminal!

May 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

• Snooth User: Barologeek

Giacosa ont 12th and G. conterno on 6th - I laugh my *** off! The only good thing about this is that Clerico is off the list. Congratulations

May 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

• Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo 2006, at about £30 a bottle, tasted March 2012, is an excellent alternative for those of us not working in the higher echelons of investment banking.
    I love the Monprivato from memory now, 1982 and 1985, and the Conterno stable has a great red called Conca Tre Pile. The latter cured a cold once, after a whole bottle was slowly drunk one sad afternoon - which got better and better as the wine did and my throat did....

May 29, 2012 at 4:44 AM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

Clerico divides Barolo lovers. :)
    I like its wines but I'm not falling in love for it.

May 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM

• Snooth User: Cbrown63

You have also left out Angelo Gaja and Giacossa...that doesnt even make sense to me. What gives..these are two of the most famous producers of Barolo and Barberesco.

May 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

Giacosa is #11 on the other part, this is a Barolo list and Gaja, technically, don't produce it.

May 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Now I'm thinking we should leave some room for Barolo for the LA dinner!

May 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

Gaja is a great producer, but they have been priced out of the regular market for a very, very long time. Greg's list is solid. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to trust his palate. Turning me onto Burlotto is one thing I credit him with, great wines! I still need to taste more Brovia, but Greg's not the only source that's been raving about this producer. As for G. Mascarello, I think this will always be a hard sell for those who haven't witnessed their evolution. In their youth, they tend to be very lean and ungiving.

May 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

• I think with the reviews you should also include the price range so people can have an idea about the quality they are getting for spending their money,

May 31, 2012 at 4:32 AM

• Snooth User: wimryan

On my way to Piemonte in a month, this couldn't have come at a better time! Thanks Greg.
    BTW, you said you are currently in Brasil. Where? I live in São Paulo, and could recommend some nice places to eat with exceptional (and at times expensive) wine lists. Obviously, you are going to want to steer clear of 99,9% of the swill being pawned off as wine made here in Brasil, but there are some truly sublime Argentine and Chilean offerings...Let me know if you want any recommendations.
    Abraços from Brasil

May 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Thanks for all the comments folks. A list like this is never going to make everyone happy, but I'm frankly surprised that only Clerico gets a shout out. Where's the love for Scavino, Sandrone, and Altare? Who, by the way, just took deliver of 6 botte to replace some of his barrique. Maybe there's a reason there after all.

Wimryan,

I'm in Bento. Unfortunately the only part of Sao Paulo I'll get to see is the airport, but maybe next time I'll hit you up for some recommendations.

May 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

• Greg, I'm glad to see Brovia, one of my favorite producers, getting some love. Quick question about the 2001s. I tend to let Brovias sit a long time (eg. haven't touched the '89 Monprivato as yet),but when we were in the Langhe a couple of years ago, several producers mentioned that the '01s were maturing faster than anticipated, a thought echoed by some tasters on other sites. Have you tried any of Brovia's '01s recently?

Jun 01, 2012 at 5:15 PM

• wait let me get this rite giacosa wines r ten times the price of tese and r sold outt and r the most sought after wines in the world what am i missing

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM