Top 12 Barolo Producers, Part 1

The best of the best in Barolo

« Prev Next » 8 of 9
And Finally...

You didn’t think I was going to play all my cards here did you? You’ll have to wait until Monday for part two of this series, with the all-too-predictable line up to come as we enter the land of Barolo GIANTS!

Comments

• Snooth User: SteveKroll

I couldn't disagree more about moving Bruno Giacosa to the bottom of the list. He has continued to produce outstanding Barolos throughout the last decade. Not a single vintage in the 2000's has scored less than 90 points in Spectator (although the '89 Collina Rionda you admire was close to the bottom of THEIR list at 78 points).

May 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Well, that doesn't say much about their ability to prognosticate now does it? Seems more likely to support my assertion, but I'm not basing my point of view on what someone else has said or written, just my own tasting experience with these wines. YMMV

May 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

• Snooth User: SteveKroll

Greg, I haven't had the '89, so I can't comment on that, but I've tasted the '98 and '01 Falletto and enjoyed both. I also have a '98 La Rocche and '04 Falletto socked away. I do agree with you with regard to Giacosa pricing in recent years. It's gotten ridiculous and he's priced himself out of most people's pocketbooks.

May 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM

• Don't sleep on Giovanni Rosso!

May 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

• Let me guess, the next article leads up to Damilano?

May 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

• Cannubis maybe?

May 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

• I don't know who are on te first 6 positions yet. But a few names are predictable.
    Anyway I do agree about your opinion concerning Bruno Giacosa. Giacosa is not up to scratch and overpriced if you take QpR in account.

I would like to see Guiseppe Rinaldi in your following line up, for his consistent Brunate-Le Coste bottling over de last two decades. And Massolino will be there for sure. I am curious about your opinion about the good (but overly hyped) Bongiovanni.

Why do people think Damilano is so special? Last decade this Barolo producer made a lot of progress. There have been investments. But if Damilano really shows up in your last 6 wines it would be a laugh.

May 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I mostly agree with your list,only Giacosa spot may be discussed. Forgetting price for a second he still produce amazing wines, Red Labels particulary (2001 Le Rocche del Falletto Riserva are the 100/100 closest wine i ever tasted). On the other side i agree with you he never reached again quality of Collina Rionda (important note: he never had vineyards in that cru, he bought grapes from Tommaso Canale, dead in 2010. Giovanni Rosso has inherited that parcel of Vigna Rionda and his 2007 Vigna Rionda is still a Tommaso Canale production.) and i can't afford this price. 11 spot are a little severe.

About the top 6 picks i hope to find Maria Teresa Mascarello, daughter of Bartolo, is such a heavy legacy and she didn't struggle. If that list is about top producers (not quality for price...) is pretty easy to predict Roberto Conterno as #1. A place in that list for Tommaso Canale can be a nice Lifetime Achievement Oscar.

May 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM

• GDP...nice list. I'm going to guess the top six. A modernist for sure but where does Scavino fit in? Love your response on Giascosa above. Well said. @Steve, with all due respect, the scores you cited as an assertion of quality in Piemontese wines are written by someone who is not respected in the region. He misses the mark consistently...you need only look at his pronouncements on the 97 and 00 vintages.

May 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

• Snooth User: scarlet11

I sell Oddero through my company, Soilair Selection, here in CA and I couldn't be more in love with this producer and their stellar wines!

May 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

• I hope perhaps Rivetto make it in to the next cut. Enrico & Alessandro are doing great things in Piemonte. I've just returned from visiting a hand-picked selection of vineyards - and their vineyards in and around Sinio and their winemaking is exceptional. A future star.

May 26, 2012 at 6:24 AM