Top 11 Wine Consuming Countries

11 countries that enjoy the juice!

« Prev Next » 12 of 14
Vatican City 54.78 liters pp

To be honest I’m not sure if I made this 11 countries so that I could include Andorra or so that I could include Vatican City. I mean it’s just a city, right? 109 square acres of Rome, more than half gardens, and home to about 832 people. This makes the inclusion of Norfolk Island seem entirely rational.

You have to wonder if the 2,400 Italians who come to work every day in Vatican City skew these figures. It’s not that the consumption figures are really that high, it’s just, well, weird. Maybe there’s a lot of sacramental wine being used as well?

Photo courtesy of geekygirlnyc via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Really funny about Andorra. I'm planning the ground portion of our Europe trip and every time I open a book, it falls open to Andorra. Which is about 2 pages worth. Is there a message, something in the zeitgeist? Andorra's numbers could also be swayed by the fact that lots of Spanish and French tourists go there to ski or get away from the cities, and there's apparently lots of shopping. Turks and Caicos gets a lot of honeymooners, so the numbers are probably skewed by complimentary bottles of cheap bubbly in the suites.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

And those numbers in Spain? Too weird. They give away the tapas so you'll drink the wine, and it works well. Maybe everyone makes their own and it doesn't enter into the stream of commerce. Or maybe they are shipping it out of the country to get dollars as the Euro trembles.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Andorra is on my list of places to visit. been through Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, and San Marino as a youngster but would like to revisit those as well on a grand tour of Europe's micro-nations!

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

• Snooth User: ezh

Bait and switch - headline said "Top Wine Producing" article was about "Top Consuming" I would be interested to see a comparison between the two.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

• Snooth User: libish

Numbers could be up do to lack of taxation/customs duty.
    20 years ago Information Please Almanac listed blackmarket as one of the top industries. In the early 70s it was like going back to the 1300s.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

• I am an Andorran citizen. It is true that Andorra has only about 85,000 people living there, but each year receives about 8,551,000 Visitors. Andorra for the visitors it is a kind of duty free shop country, and wine is cheaper than in the neighbour countries (France and Spain). On the other hand, in Andorra we have extremely good Wine and Spirits boutiques, where you can find wines from all over the world. Of course you can buy there the best of the best french, italian,spanish, portuguese, american and so on. Moreover, we have one of the best Single Malt Scotch Whisky boutiques in the world (Cava Benito), a place to find extremely old and rare scotch.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

• Snooth User: brittmc

Where is the article about Wine-producing countries?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

• Snooth User: Isaac42

Every time I see one of these articles, it gets me wondering how much wine is being drunk by those who actually drink it. A supposedly moderate drinker (two 5-ounce glasses a day, or ~two fifths of a bottle per day) will drink about 110 liters of wine per year, far higher than the numbers given. Yes, I understand that there are children that skew the numbers, as well as adults who don't drink, and that there are some who drink far more than the average as well. But in France or Italy, what is the median amount consumed per year among those who consume wine regularly?

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

• Snooth User: ps

Interesting! I wonder what we can learn from countries that consume a lot of wine? Just as others here I wonder what causes higher consumption - more social people, cheaper wine, nearby production, it's just part of the culture?

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM

• Snooth User: alegobibra

Thank you for sharing this information. As a (hopefully) future import/exporter of wine, you have provided me with helpful information on which countries to focus on. I would never guess that some of the places mentioned here would fall on this list.

Jul 01, 2012 at 6:10 PM

• We have ben working hard since this post was first published in order to raise the UK up the results table.

The London Olympics have indeed inspired us.

<a href="http://www.sedimentblog.com">The Sediment Blog</a>