Top 10 Syrah Producers

And how they put their best work into each bottle

« Prev Next » 7 of 12
Allemand

Thierry Allemand is hardly a household name, and the appellation of Cornas in the Rhône Valley has always been a bit of a backwater among enthusiasts. Cornas have been known for rusticity, tannin and longevity, so you might be surprised to find that the Allemand wines are considered among the best Syrahs made today. Says who? Says me.

That’s right, these perfumed wines with their bright fruit and lovely, savory olive aromas are the epitome of elegance and finesse. It almost pains me to write these words since these wines are already fairly expensive, but one must give credit where credit is due. Gossamer-textured Syrah that is pure, etched and aromatic. Simply put, Allemand’s wines are conversation stoppers.

I’m getting a very Jessica Pare vibe right about now!

Comments

• missed J C Cellars Jeff Cohn's award winning syrahs

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM

• Snooth User: palderm

Guigal where is it? Makes best shirai

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM

• Snooth User: palderm

Syrah Guigal

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM

• Snooth User: EBGB

Columella is fantastic, but always sold way too young.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM

• Snooth User: pplants

you need to try one of the best Syrahs I've ever had. A California wine by Smith-wooten I believe. Great balance and elegant power.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM

• Of course enjoyed the comments about the wine but finishing them off with the ladies was fun, I particularly like the reference to Salma Hayek.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

• Snooth User: aleger

What about argentina syrah like Luigi Bosca Reserva 2008?

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM

• Snooth User: MSG3003

Do not forget about Novy Family Wines/Siduri - fantastic, highly scored, well priced Syrahs, generally in smaller lots (less than 1000 cases per bottling) with many bottlings to choose from.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

• Snooth User: whauptman

Chile is now producing some very fine Syrah as well. Quantities are limited, but they are very much worth seeking out. Try Matetic which is super smooth and very tasty. Great balalnce.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM

• Have had stylish shiraz from Margaret River and not that far away, Bests Great Western and Sandalford in SW corner of Oz.
    I agree with the plaudits for guigal. great Cotes Du Rhone year after year
    New zealand shiraz - they call it syrah - is a gentler, food friendly variant that gets overlooked in these discussions
    Sicily has also had success with shiraz. Planeta Syrah worked for me. Petite Syrah from north Mexico/baja california is nice wine (LA Cetto)

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:16 AM

• My special favorite, Syrah 2007 Planeta Sicilia igt ****♥ Rich, with a bouquet of ripe red berries and black olives with lovely accents of sweet spices and vanilla. Round, fruity and flavourful full body with well integrated tannins. A vibrant wine with a spicy finish.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

• Baffetto de Roma you have excellent taste indeed and all these people should try Planeta Syrah

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I will be trying some Chilean Syrah soon, so look out for notes on those. And I've got notes on several New Zealand bottlings as well, which are being pulled together today! The Planeta is a fine wine, I've had it a handful of times, which is too few to include it in this list of my favorites but I'm glad you broguht it up!

Thanks for all the great comments folks!

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM