Top 10 Sangiovese Producers

Our favorites under $100

« Prev Next » 11 of 12
Seghesio

I would be remiss if I didn’t include at least one producer from the New World here, and no other producer is as worthy a candidate as Seghesio. Better known for their Zinfandel, how can one not mention a producer who maintains a vineyard known as Chianti Station, the oldest Sangiovese vineyard in the US? Originally planted in 1910 as a traditional field blend of  Sangiovese, Canaiolo Nero, Malvasia and Trebbiano, Chianti Station serves as the clonal source for Seghesio’s modern production. Their line-up includes:

Sangiovese – This is certainly a fruit-driven wine, rich and yet still bright, filled with dark berry fruit supported by soft tannins.

Venom - Seghesio’s top of the line Sangiovese comes from a steeply sloping vineyard with poor soils and clones selected for their low yields. The results are power packed. This is not a Sangiovese for the weak or timid. Deep, chewy and full of dark fruit and spice, it’s a worthy peer to some of the finest examples grown in the old country!

Comments

• I honestly was ready to lambaste your article before I even read it. What a premeditated error that would have been. I of course would not have put the Seghesio (even though I have always been a bit fond of the wine) since we are talking top 10, which I assume means top 10 in overall quality I don't think anything from Cali qualifies.
    However, that is my only complaint as you really hit some of my all-time favorite wines from a 17 year love affair with the grape. Very nice work!

Mar 08, 2012 at 2:28 PM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Great stuff, love that Felsina is mentioned prominently!

Just picked up a mag of their 06' Rancia Riserva yesterday, and already have the 07' Fontalloro, will make for a great day when those two are opened side by side...

Also, glad you mentioned Seghesio, that venom sounds pretty interesting.

Mar 08, 2012 at 5:02 PM

• Snooth User: yankee5

Always enjoy your perspective. Any way you could make your recommendations easy to download into a spreadsheet or document to help my shopping list? I have created my own but anything you can do to help would be great!

Thanks

Mar 08, 2012 at 9:26 PM

• Snooth User: enoica

Not only Tuscany to talk about Italian Sangiovese, let's try Sangiovese di Romagna doc superiore riserva Pietramora, Fattoria Zerbina, same emotion, half cost.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:57 PM

• Fontalloro is such a nice word to hear mentioned again. I only had it once, in a double sized bottle with three good friends, what a wine that was. The Felsina Berardenga "ordinary" was served by the glass at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges, and while nowhere near as good as 1.5 l of Fontalloro, it had a lovely cherry bitter twist and matched red legged partridge very well.
    There is much to recommend about enoicas tactic of looking outside Tuscany in view of the quite steep pricing.

Mar 09, 2012 at 9:45 AM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I particulary love Montevertine and Felsina picks, Montevertine Pergole Torte is one of the best all time 100% sangiovese (Giulio Giambelli the greatest interpreter of that grape is sadly dead just few months ago). As Enoica said Sangiovese di Romagna need special mention, a really grow up Doc.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM