Top 10 Sangiovese Producers

Our favorites under $100

« Prev Next » 10 of 12
Lungarotti

The Lungarotti family was at the forefront of quality Sangiovese production, helping to pioneer the Cru bottling concept for Sangiovese in the early 1970s. What really makes this surprising is the fact that Lungarotti is located in Umbria, and they didn’t even have the modest power of the Chianti moniker to help them in their cause. Time has proven their efforts to be well placed, and even today they produce a wine that every Sangiovese lover needs to taste.

Rubesco – The straight Rubesco is a lovely wine, very much Chianti like as would be expected from the blend (70% Sangiovese, 30% Canaiolo). Full of fruit yet with excellent complexity and terroir, this is a unique expression of Sangiovese.

Rubesco Riserva Monticchio – The vineyard that really put Lungarotti on the map, my map at least, is Monticchio, where they source their finest fruit. The same varietal blend as the classic Rubesco, this wine takes intensity and complexity to another level. It’s remarkably age worthy, though it drinks well throughout its life.

Comments

• I honestly was ready to lambaste your article before I even read it. What a premeditated error that would have been. I of course would not have put the Seghesio (even though I have always been a bit fond of the wine) since we are talking top 10, which I assume means top 10 in overall quality I don't think anything from Cali qualifies.
    However, that is my only complaint as you really hit some of my all-time favorite wines from a 17 year love affair with the grape. Very nice work!

Mar 08, 2012 at 2:28 PM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Great stuff, love that Felsina is mentioned prominently!

Just picked up a mag of their 06' Rancia Riserva yesterday, and already have the 07' Fontalloro, will make for a great day when those two are opened side by side...

Also, glad you mentioned Seghesio, that venom sounds pretty interesting.

Mar 08, 2012 at 5:02 PM

• Snooth User: yankee5

Always enjoy your perspective. Any way you could make your recommendations easy to download into a spreadsheet or document to help my shopping list? I have created my own but anything you can do to help would be great!

Thanks

Mar 08, 2012 at 9:26 PM

• Snooth User: enoica

Not only Tuscany to talk about Italian Sangiovese, let's try Sangiovese di Romagna doc superiore riserva Pietramora, Fattoria Zerbina, same emotion, half cost.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:57 PM

• Fontalloro is such a nice word to hear mentioned again. I only had it once, in a double sized bottle with three good friends, what a wine that was. The Felsina Berardenga "ordinary" was served by the glass at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges, and while nowhere near as good as 1.5 l of Fontalloro, it had a lovely cherry bitter twist and matched red legged partridge very well.
    There is much to recommend about enoicas tactic of looking outside Tuscany in view of the quite steep pricing.

Mar 09, 2012 at 9:45 AM

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I particulary love Montevertine and Felsina picks, Montevertine Pergole Torte is one of the best all time 100% sangiovese (Giulio Giambelli the greatest interpreter of that grape is sadly dead just few months ago). As Enoica said Sangiovese di Romagna need special mention, a really grow up Doc.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM