Top 10 Grenache Producers-Value Wines

The best Grenaches at the best prices

Next » 1 of 12
Top 10 Grenache Producers-Value Wines

I started building this list week, when I felt compelled to segment my Top 10 Grenache Producers list because I simply could not trim the list to 10 without eliminating some great producers. Eventually I realized that the easiest course of action available was to split the list by price, leaving me free to include producers who produce some of the greatest values on earth, but might raise more than a few eyebrows if included on a list of the top 10 Grenache producers.

So I give you list number two: the Top 10 Grenache Values, full of wonderful wines at truly affordable prices. The list kicks off with a bit of a stretch, a $30 wine, but this is a list of values, not simply of cheap wines. Even at $30, the Coudoulet de Beaucastel is a great value, offering consumers a glimpse of the iconic Beaucastel style at a fraction of the price of their Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

The remainder of the list is full of wines that are joyful expression of Grenache, priced from under $8 to nearly $20 a bottle. Each delivers something special and all are worthy of your consideration the next time you get a hankering for some delicious Grenache.

Comments

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

The Coudoulet de Beaucastel suggests an idea for an article: What other Cotes du Rhones (and similar appellations) are age-worthy in spite of the general tendency of wines from those apps to be early drinkers? Might be some nice value plays out there that we are missing out on.

May 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

• I had a Coudoulet de Beaucastel many years ago, also a 1989 full Beaucastel. The Coudoulet was certainly fine; but the big Beaucastel was the best wine I have ever had.
    Donad

May 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Other good value grenaches from California have unfortunately become hard to find, like the Graff Family Vineyard and the South Hart Vineyard bottling that BV did as a special one-off. Lots of it planted with little regard to the outcome in the Central Valley, but it can thrive here. Another good blend of GSM here is the Unti Petit Frere, and they also bottle a straight grenache that's about $30.

May 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

• Snooth User: ynysybwl

Where can I get some Chateaux Bellegarde Bordaux

May 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

• The grenache/Cannonau Costera di Argiolas is not the top of sardinian Cannonau.
    I suggest you to try " Perda rubia " of Cardedu or " Corrasi " of Oliena ....the tpo of the tops.

May 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

• Snooth User: teddz

Haha! First time I got to recommend a wine before the guru (Nina Borgia of Bodegas Borsao which I mentioned a few days ago)). From the same winery and more comple is the Tres Picos at about $17. Another Spanish producer whose grenache based wines are widely distributed is Las Rocas. The entry level wine (in a bordeaux shaped bottle) I would rate a notch below the Bodegas Borsao, but the Las Rocas Reserva (in a burgundy shaped bottle) and priced like the Tres Picos is an intense, spicy in-your-face grenache..

May 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

• I'm disappointed that you didn't mention Chapoutier Belleruche, about the same price point as Las Rocas, but lighter in body. 60/40 Grenache/Syrah. Bio-dynamic farming methods employed.

May 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

• Snooth User: teddz

BTW, I don't think you'll find the Las Rocas Vinas Viejas for $12 as suggested in this article. I remember paying over $15 for it a couple of years ago. The regular Las Rocas was $9-10 last time I bought it. Unless sombody's moving old stock, in which case I'd be suspicious.

May 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM

• Snooth User: SamSuffit

This bottle cannot be in any serious top 10 côtes du Rhône wines. So many boutique small producers make wine with so much more character and quality fruit. Although the Guigal CDR is a decent enough bottle the amount of bottles produced every year is counted in millions! Hardly the bargain find of the valley. Must try harder!

May 18, 2012 at 4:23 AM

• Snooth User: SamSuffit

How about D'arenberg bush vines Grenache? The Dead arm

May 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM

• Snooth User: EQWinemd

Tomorrow night I am having some friends in for steaks on the grill. We will be starting with Tablas Creek (Paso Robles) 2009 Rose (Mourvedre 46%,Grenache 39% Counoise 15%) and 2010 Rose (Mourvedre 59%,Grenache 30% Counoise 11%) . This will be served with Shrimp+Avacado lettuce cups topped with a chiplote corn relish. The steaks and grilled veggies will be paired with Tablas Creek 2008 and 2009 Grenache. I worked for Bob Haas when the vines were brought in from Beaucastel. I am looking forward to tasting these wines side by side with friends.

May 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM