Top 10 Chardonnay Producers

The most impressive wines and where they come from

Next » 1 of 12
Top 10 Chardonnay Producers In honor of GTiChardonnay, I have put together my top 10 list of Chardonnay producers around the world. While this is a pretty comprehensive list, I do want to remind you that my top 10 lists always take pricing into account. I limit my purchases of wine to a rather extravagant $100 bottle, so don’t be surprised to not see the greatest white Burgundies here.

This is my list of best Chardonnays, as in those that are most impressive to me. There may be some wines that I’ve scored more highly than these, but that simply makes it a great wine, not necessarily one I love. There is a difference. I’m sure you’ll agree with my principles and disagree with my choices which, my friends, is awesome!

I would love to know YOUR favorite Chardonnay producers. Let’s see where there is overlap, where the great wines that we all like come from, and what the defining traits of our favorite Chardonnays are. Let me know your thoughts by leaving them in the comments here! I can’t wait to hear from you all!

Photo courtesy katielmasters via Flickr/CC

Comments

• The Hamilton Russel Vineyards has become a hallmark of fine South African Pinot Noir and Chardonnay over the last few decades. “We want to produce wines as Burgundian as possible here in South Africa - Wines from South African soil with a Burgundian soul” says Anthony Hamilton Russell http://schiller-wine.blogspot.com/2... schiller-wine

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:37 AM

• Snooth User: rsalvaria

My "price no object" favorites are Newton "Unfiltered" and various offerings from Patz & Hall, particularly Hyde Vineyards and Dutton Ranch. Rombauer offers a great medium priced chardonnay which complex and is consistently good. However, as a house wine for everyday use, we like the Acacia "Carneros". It's usually available for around $12, and has layers of great flavor and is wonderful with food. It's typically better than some of the $20+ varieties that we have tried.

Feb 02, 2012 at 5:35 PM

• Snooth User: brujazz

In Oregon, the Ponzi Reserve is wonderful. Burgundian in style and at thirty dollars a bottle, it presents incredible value. At the same price, but stylistically different, Sonoma's Simoneau Vinyards, Brenda Lee Chardonnay is purely lucious. At a higher price, but well worth the bucks are the Chardonnays from Kistler and Williams Selyem. All wines mentioned can be enjoyed at release but really benefit from one to three years of aging.

Feb 03, 2012 at 2:33 PM

• Snooth User: brujazz

Feb 03, 2012 at 2:33 PM

• Snooth User: SAWI

Well done for acknowleding Hamilton Russel, but as I have said before, where is Bouchard Finlayson? Both from Hemel & Aarde Valley, Western Cape, South Africa. Izak

Feb 03, 2012 at 2:57 PM

• Ah, you have to add Rombauer Chardonnay , St. Helena, California.
    "The Crack Cocaine of Chardonnay"

Feb 03, 2012 at 7:08 PM

• Have you tried Pierro Chardonnay from Australia. It got great finesse

Feb 03, 2012 at 11:19 PM

• Snooth User: Buckyboy

Two American Chardonnays that I believe are absolutely outstanding, and that are usually passed over, are Newton "Unfiltered" and Pride Mountain, both from the Spring Mountain district of the Napa Valley. These should be on everybody's top list of domestic Chardonnays.

Buckyboy

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:06 AM

• Snooth User: JOANF

Talbot:
    Cuvee Audrey, Diamond T, Sleepy Hollow
    Best for my buck!

Feb 05, 2012 at 3:16 PM

• Vincent Arroyo's Chardonnay!!

Feb 05, 2012 at 5:09 PM

• Snooth User: D9sus4

Dutton-Goldfield Chardonnay is definitely one of my all around favorites. Not sure why Chateau Montelena and Grgich Hills Chardonnays didn't make the cut.

Feb 06, 2012 at 8:07 AM

• Snooth User: Jeoff2

The Hemel en Aarde valley has some amazing chardonnays but I feel that Sumaridge Estate has produced some fantastic chardonnays over the past few years and defiantly is on the top of my list.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 AM

• Rombauer is a favorite.

Mar 03, 2012 at 6:49 AM

• I agree with the Dutton Ranch and Patz and Hall Lovers. I also love Rombauer chardonnay. In general I love Russian River Valley Wines (Iron Horse Chardonnay) also.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:07 AM