The Down and Dirty on Burgundy

Everything you need to know about this red wonder

« Prev Next » 2 of 6
The Skeleton, or How Burgundy is Classified

Burgundy works on a hierarchy of vineyards. Today’s system was enacted in 1936, but its origins date back to the monks of the Cluny and Cîteaux abbeys. (Here’s a big shout-out to those guys!) All of their tedious work and documentation, passed on and ameliorated throughout the centuries, led to a very precise systemization. The Burgundians call these climats. And, they are quite fond of them. There are almost 700 just within the Premier Cru category! They break down like this:

Grand Cru - 33
Premier Cru (including lieux-dits) - 684
Village - 44
Regional - 23

Photo courtesy of dimitrij via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Nice article Greg, my palate continues to appreciate Burgs more and more.

Jun 07, 2012 at 9:10 PM

• Snooth User: Christy Canterbury MW

Hi,

Glad you liked my piece. What is it about Burgundy that's luring you over?

Cheers,
    Christy Canterbury MW

Jun 07, 2012 at 11:05 PM

• Snooth User: SM

Thanks for the article Ms. Canterbury it was well written and informative. I find myself drinking more and more Bourgogne wine these days. The balance, elegance and fruit of the wine from there is outstanding. An interesting book that I just finished reading is: "Burgundy and Bordeaux, a vintage rivalry",(I will try to post the author's name later.) It's all about the history and development of these world famous and key wine regions. If you are interested in Bourgogne (Burgundy) I would recommend you read this book as its fascinating. Cheers!

Jun 08, 2012 at 12:09 AM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Christy, I apologize, assumed it was Greg who wrote this!

I'm finding Burgundy wines more friendly on the alcohol side, almost always good acids, and plenty of the soil comes out in the wines. It's like a comfortable pair of shoes with plenty of intrigue.

Jun 08, 2012 at 2:28 AM

• Snooth User: Oude Singel 160

Up to my opinion this either Blackberry or Beaujolais, but certainly not a vineyard inside Côte d'Or!

Jun 08, 2012 at 5:24 AM

• Can you clarify the lieux-dit? Above it sounds as if it IS a 1er cru, whereas I thought it was a recognized vineyard but without an official 1er status?

Jun 08, 2012 at 8:30 AM

• Snooth User: Christy Canterbury MW

Hi Boymeetsvine,

A lieu-dit is nothing more than a recognized vineyard, as you say. You can find lieu-dits at village, Premier Cru and Grand Cru level. For example, consider Meursault Meix Chavaux at the village level and Corton Les Renardes at the Grand Cru level.

Jun 08, 2012 at 10:05 AM

• Snooth User: duncan 906

Interesting articles.I am definitely a Burgundy lover and have reviewed several for Snooth although I have never had a Grand Cru and only once a Premier Cru.Most of the ones I have been able to afford have been negociant wines.Burgundy has got to be one of the world's best,if not the best,wine producing region.Interestingly,when President Obama stayed at Buckingham Palace last year,Her Majesty served Grand Cru Burgundies at the official State Banquet

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

• Snooth User: Christy Canterbury MW

Hi Duncan906,

Keep an eye out for my next post...it will be on lesser-known appellations. The reason for this upcoming post is to point out easier-on-the-wallet wines!

Cheers!

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM

• Snooth User: duncan 906

Burgundy does tend to be an expensive appellation or appellations unless you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.The only one that is usually easier on the wallet is Passetoutgrains and that is a pinot noir/gamay blend.I look forward to your next article as I have probably had many of your lesser known easier on the wallet appellations

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

• Snooth User: Christy Canterbury MW

Passetoutgrains definitely can pass the eco test...thanks for staying tuned!

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM

• I continue to be fascinated by Burgundy, even as I am buying and enjoying more Oregon and New Zealand Pinot noirs, which can be much easier on the wallet. I find that some reputable Burgundies, mostly Bourgognes, are unfortunately "lean and mean" to my palate. Hopefully, the 2009's will be more to my liking. Keep up the good articles! Bob Williams

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM

• I have some moderately priced 2005 Burgundies in my cellar. Can you give me an idea when I should start drinking these? Thanks!

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

• Snooth User: Christy Canterbury MW

Hi RCWilliams-3,

I love Oregon and NZ Pinots. They can bear many resemblances to Burgundy - they are often (though not always) svelte and have a love earthiness.

2005 is a wonderful vintage. You can drink them depending on how old or young you prefer your wines. A lot of Premier Cru 2005 will be 20-30+ year wines. If it's village level, they're still 10+ year wines...but they don't have to be! You can always pull a bottle here and there to see how they're evolving.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:58 AM