The $5000 Cellar, Part 2

Continuing on with careful selections of Syrah, Cabernet and Nebbiolo

« Prev Next » 5 of 16

Domestic Syrah production has always been a difficult sell, particularly when people are buying for the cellar. I recently went into detail about the difficulties I see when ageing some New World Syrahs in On Aging Syrah Wine, and so I approach this topic gingerly.

There are very few producers out there who have their Syrah chops down. It’s a tricky grape and a tricky region for it, but the point here is to recommend what I see as a wine that would rank among the best of its type. In looking for a New World Syrah I was drawn to Washington, and Betz in particular.

Betz produces a pair of compelling Syrahs at our price points, the La Serenne and the Cote Rousse. I prefer the La Serenne for this mid-term cellaring, though even young, it is packed with appealing fruit and classic licorice and floral accents on the aromatic nose.

Betz la Serenne  $55

Recent great vintages include: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

• Snooth User: Giacomo Pevere

I can just quote your nebbiolo picks! I love that bottles.
    Price for Ar. Pe Pe and Produttori del Barbaresco are pretty high in USA, in Italy they are around 35€ and 25€, pretty good price for Burlotto 40/45€ here.

Mar 01, 2012 at 1:22 PM

• What a great Web site!!

Mar 01, 2012 at 3:29 PM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Great article Greg, have been looking for Nebbiolo in this price range...

Mar 02, 2012 at 12:49 AM

• "they’re going to be bangin’ wines."

Ah, "bangin'".

Just the description we were seeking for the fine wines we hope to cellar...

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:58 AM

• Thank you for using my photo for your article, Arrington Vineyards in Tennessee, which is were this photo was take, is a wonderful place to enjoy a good glass of wine.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. This series is a whole lot of fun to day as I get to live vicariously through my words. Now I have to figure out how to follow up!

Mar 04, 2012 at 10:32 AM

• Snooth User: osca1600

Dead simple to create a $5K cellar of superb wine, simply buy some sequential years of Penfolds Grange, Bin 707, Henschke Hill of Grace and perhaps some Mt Mary Quintet and there you are. Given that the list price for Grange (say current vintage) normally starts at around $400, with the addition of back vintages and/or the super premium vintages going for between $500-1000 per bottle, Hill of Grace at around the $300 mark, Penfolds 707 and Mt Mary for between $150-200 per bottle, one's $5K will be spent very quickly.

On the other hand you could moderate the expense by say purchasing some Penfold Bin 389, 407, RWT etc and perhaps some Wynns Michael Shiraz et al for sub $100 per bottle instead of purely the above and one would get a little more variety and a few more into the $5K cellar.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM