The $2500 Wine Cellar, part 2

Continuing on with Zinfandel, Syrah and Cab Franc

« Prev Next » 13 of 15
2005 Olga Raffault Les Picasses $25

Olga Raffault’s Chinon, and the Les Picasses bottling in particular, is what originally turned me onto Chinon years ago. Interestingly, back vintages of these wines used to be readily available for relatively modest sums, so I’ve been able to try quite a few older versions and can say they age effortlessly!

These are wines that exhibit remarkable complexity at their price point, all earthy and slightly funky with the herbal notes that are Cabernet Franc’s trademark. The 50-year-old vines used in this bottling show the finesse that comes from their limestone rich soils. All of which makes this one of Chinon’s top wines and arguably the best choice for the cellar!

Find this wine on Snooth!

Comments

• Snooth User: LoriRackel

Hi Gregory, I am faithfully following your articles. Is it possible to have a shopping list format attached for us Eager Beavers?
    Lori from Alberta, Canada

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

• Snooth User: CherieJN

Loving this series! A shopping list would be fantastic too. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

• Snooth User: ChefJune

<Now on to part II of the $2500 Cellar.> ??? so, where is it?

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

• Thanks for the picks, Greg! I can't wait for your nebbiolo selectiions for the cellar.

As someone who is just beginning to build a modest collection, I am interested in your concluding point about lesser vintages. This subject confuses me a bit. Sure, a great vintage could produce a bigger wine. A bigger wine could use more time in bottle to mellow and show its nuances. One the other hand, an off vintage often comes from less ripe grapes. Less ripe grapes produce wines with lower ABV and higher acidity. But isn't that the formula for long term aging?

The 2007 Barolo is a good case study. This is considered a great vintage but it is ady to drink nows, in its youth.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

• Snooth User: ChefJune

Thanks for pointing me back to the thread. I guess I had a "DOH" moment yesterday! Found an interesting comment you made: "Bucklin’s Old Hill Ranch is very likely the oldest Zinfandel vineyard in California." If you're not familiar with Nichelini Wines in the Chiles Valley, they may have the oldest Zinfandel vineyard. They've been making wine since before 1900... http://www.nicheliniwinery.com

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM