Talking 'Bout My Generation

What to drink, decade by decade

Next » 1 of 8
Talking 'Bout My Generation Yes, it’s my generation’s wine. So what then should be in your glass, you ask? Well, let’s take a look and see what you should be putting in your glass, decade by decade. I’ll break it down for you.

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons/Billboard

Comments

• Snooth User: Kate Statton

feeling very nostalgic

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Well. I'm not sure you hit me. Although I have to say that my wine preferences are somewhat described by parts of what you say about my generation and the adjacent two.

Very entertaining.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

• Snooth User: corylewis

What happened to Mateus? Early 60's,remember? or Did I hallucinate that? It was awful, but you inspired a flashback...

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM

• Snooth User: ursid
    732087 11

As far as the wine-touring is concerned, don't forget Sonoma/Russian River, Mendocino, or Paso Robles!

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

• Snooth User: ursid
    732087 11

$30 per 3 Liter box is over $7 per 750ml regular bottle equivalent. Cost Plus World Market often offers very tasty wines for $3-4 per bottle. Were I a millennial, I would think twice about paying an additional $3-4 to support a hip winery's "online presence." As a specific example, if you find Grove Ridge at Cost Plus, buy it. We like their cab best at my house, but the merlot was also good. My local outlet is, sadly, sold out of both.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Thumbs up to Cory.

My first legal bottle of wine was Lancers--very close.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM

• Snooth User: corylewis

Yes indeed... here's to happy memories of bad wines in weird bottles

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM

• Like WTF? This dreary stuff is making me remember the "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

I'm getting more entertainment from my work than from Snooth this morning!

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:00 AM

• Snooth User: topherg3

I do feel like you nailed the time in my life just not the wines I'm into. I don't drink Pinot Noir and I don't care to go to Napa. I'm interested in Gigondas and Bandol and other wines that have a sense of place. Something you can't get in a CA Pinot Noir. Those are the places that I am interested in visiting, The Rhone and Languedoc. Places where they have been making wine for centuries not decades.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

• topherg3 I hope you get to visit them. Bandol/Cassis/Aix area is very beautiful, you are near to beaches, islands, gorgeous countryside buzzing with cigales, tough granite mountains and rolling hills. The 2007's are red liquid paradise for the mouth in Gigondas and Bandol. We were recently lucky to get the chance to try the Agri. Biologique wines of Monsieur Delille, at Domaine Terrebrune, Bandol, based in Ollioules, here in London. The 2007 Rouge and 1998 Rouge were surprisingly fruit-intense wines (considering its a Mourvedre dominant blend). Their roots have to go down so far into the unwatered brown rock to find moisture they pick up loads of minerality and complexity. Some hint of liquorice, and that astringency at the top of the nose as well, says they will keep improving. The winemaker says they last twenty years plus, even the rose, yes, rose, from 1993 tasted like a 2010 at the tasting Nov 7th. 2011. France does not allow vines to be watered and the terroir and the struggle of the vines make the character of the wine
    We also liked Cassis white wine and Bandol blanc on past holidays. Some Cotes de Provence reds are very dark and mysterious indeed.

Gigondas again is a great appelation. L'Oustau Fauquet 1988 got me into it. The wine just kept getting more interesting as the content of the bottle slwoly disappeared; plums, chocolate. Since then I have been an apostle for the wines of gigondas. Rhones have had great years recently in 2007 and 2009. Some of the bigger Rhone names like P J Aine are getting into biodynamic and the taste in the mouth is alive.

Well done for cheering me up with happy memories due your excellent taste.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM

• Snooth User: topherg3

williamsimpson -Thanks for the info, glad to bring back fond memories for you. I just purchased some 2008 Les Pallieres Gigondas, I know 2007 is the year but not too available anymore and priced accordingly. What is your opinion of 2008?

I do plan on driving from Northern Rhone down to Languedoc and to Bandol next summer making it a wine route road-trip. Any suggestions for where to stop and get off the tourist path?

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

• It is now ten years ago so worth researching to check it still exists, but we loved staying at Relais de la Magdaleine, Gemenos, Provence on a half board arrangement in 2001. Their wine list and their food was very good, and good to "come home to" after touring in the days. You are not far by road from Bandol, Cassis, Ollioules, Cadiere d'Azur, Sanary etc. The grounds had a big driveway, lots of seats outside. lovely swimming pool, giant chess set, lots of space, donkey. Rooster used to crow at 5am. Might be worth checking out. The village a short walk away was very still and peaceful.
    If you have a car, and research and book your favourite wineries ahead of schedule, you will be fine. You will be able to tell the genuine. Often the wine places we have been (Alsace included) have local inns/auberges/cafes with good regional food to match their wines, and some vineyards have their own restaurants to show off the wine French style with food
    We also liked the more functional Novotel in Aix en provence. It was about 2 miles out of town but had a clean cafe/restaurant that did nice salads and french dishes eg duck, and you could sit with a glass of cold white by the swim pool getting a suntan.
    To avoid crowds miss July an August unless your French is fluent, otherwise we find June and September quieter and friendly. But weqther can be chancier. 2008's no idea, still drinking the 2007!
    We are researching the Var-Ouest region for our holidays in 2012. The tourist office has been helpful. Beaches and villages look very beautiful there

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM

• Snooth User: Kyle Graynor

You know, I DO run up stairs faster than I run down them . . .

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM

• I asked about Rhone from someone who had been there, topherg3, and they recommended Tain, which has a castle and a river, as a location for visiting Gigondas and Chateauneuf.
    I was also reminded that Domaine de Cayran Gigondas and Guillaume Gonnet Chateauneuf du Pape le Bois Pointu are excellent young wines (by my tongue).

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:57 AM

• Snooth User: topherg3

Thanks for the info I will definitely check out Tain and do some research to find the some other wines that have a sense of coming from a specific place and time. I agree that I will also have to go to Bandol for some sea, wine, and sun. Thanks again.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:12 AM