- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 3 1/2 cups diced white bread (remove crusts)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup diced speck from Alto Adige region
In small skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook diced onion until just tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In bowl combine diced bread, flour, cooked onion mixture, parsley and salt. Stir in eggs and diced speck. Shape 2 tablespoonsful mixture into balls. Let rest at room temperature, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat large saucepot of salted water to boiling. Carefully place dumplings in water; simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove dumplings to plate.
Serve as an accompaniment to meat, poultry and fish. Or, serve as a main dish. Or, serve in broth as a soup. Makes 12 dumplings.