In 2010, the 2007 Southern Rhône wines hit the market in a big way. 2007 was the year of the greatest vintage ever in the Rhône, or so we have been told. The truth is that many of these 2007s from the Southern Rhône are a bit too big for me, fruity and alcoholic, but certainly appealing to many palates.
That appeal has accelerated the increase in pricing that has made Châteauneuf-du-Pape, in particular, a less attractive wine in my book. There are still great wines being produced, and in all truth some of the “lesser” vintages that are more to my liking continue to be offered at prices up to 50% lower than wines from 2007, but these are the wines getting all the buzz.
What follows is a list of the top 10 2007 Châteuneuf-du-Papes as rated by you, the Snooth audience. In light of the frightfully high prices these wines are commanding, I am offering an alternative. That alternative is Snooth's inaugural Wine Region of the Year, which I am declaring is...
These are wines based on similar blends to Châteauneuf yet that sell for a fraction of those highly reviewed wines, and deliver no less pleasure in my opinion. So, I present to you a top five of Languedoc-Roussillon producers, followed by your top 10 Châteauneufs of the year. I’ve added my two top Châteauneuf picks as well, two wines priced well within reason in fact!
Your top-rated Châteauneuf-du-Pape of the 2007 vintage:
1) Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
2) Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
3) Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes Rouge 2007
4) Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chaupin 2007
5) Pegau Chateauneuf-du-Pape Reservee 2007
6) Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe 'La Crau' 2007
7) Marcoux Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
8) Pierre Usseglio "Mon Aieul" Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
9) Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
10) Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes 2007
Two top wines that offer considerable value – GDP Recommends
Domaine Font de Michelle Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Etienne Gonnet
Clos des Brusquières Châteauneuf-du-Pape