Snooth West Coast Wines of the Year 2010

And the winners are...

Next » 1 of 15
Snooth West Coast Wines of the Year 2010 It’s time to now reveal the final winners in our Snooth Vintage of the Year, Winery of the Year, Wine Region of the Year, and Wines of the Year 2010 series.

Time for me to add my favorite West Coast Wines of the Year to the chorus. This is hard for so many reasons. Do I include all the back vintages of wines I’ve enjoyed? If not, then how far back can I go? Good questions and best answered by creating a list of wines from the West Coast that you can buy now. Let me just say that I do not purport this short list to be anything more important than what it is: a short list of wines that I particularly liked and that are generally available.

What I’ve tried to do here is highlight a few wines that surprised me this year. In truth, a fair amount of wines surprise me and I’m not including those here, so a little 'splaining is in order. The wines on this list are wines that are readily available, well priced, and offer a special drinking experience. Best? Well, they’re not even my highest-rated wines, since many of those are distinctly neither affordable nor well priced.

These are West Coast Wines of the Year for specific reasons, and I’ve pointed those reasons out with each wine. You may, or may not, enjoy these wines. Perhaps you’ll enjoy some but not others. I hope you will enjoy at least a few of them, but these wines made the list because I enjoyed them. I found each of these wines to be special, unique and distinct, and worth buying and sharing. So, with no further ado, my list of West Coast Wines of the Year!

Comments

• Snooth User: royedk

showing Pinot Noir rather than Reisling.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Thanks!

Corrected.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

• Snooth User: eag36jr

how can I order the 12 selections as a case?

Thanks, Ernie

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM

• Snooth User: Cbil

Isn't it Torii Mor?

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM

• Great article
    I want to try the Emblem Cab.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM

• Great Article
    I want to try "Emblem"

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:24 PM

• Write your comment here.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM

• Snooth User: JMH58
    619330 9

I tried the Chateau Ste Michelle 2008 Indian Wells Cab about a month ago. Immediately tried to buy a case, but it was already sold out in the DC area. Several shippers are now also out. A few have it and get it if you can.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM

• Snooth User: dangler88
    632036 1

Just about anything by Ch Ste Michelle is solid these days

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM

• Snooth User: Polly4

Our Willamette Valley Vineyards Riesling snuck into our store like a thief in the night. Alas, it is all gone after a mere 24 hours!

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM

• Snooth User: Jildaz

I love your West Coast 2010 choices, but I'm from British Columbia , we are part of the Pacific Northwest and we have wines that merit your attention.
    I really do love your 2010 choices.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM

• Snooth User: Stewart Mclennan

I added a comment to this thread that never made it so I'll try again. I think caveats aside the words top choices and West Coast are misnomers regarding these picks. "A selection of Some good West Coast wines chosen by Me", would perhaps be a more apt if not as headline grabbing a title for these choices. Unfortunately the West Coast is a very large producer of wines and a lot of regions probably were never even factored into this mix. I appreciate Gregory's writing and his choices but feel many great wines and regions were overlooked here. Perhaps that's in part because of the enormity of the task however if you live by the West Coast sword then............

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM

• Snooth User: ausrine

Yes, Stewart. None of my favorites were mentioned either.

Jan 04, 2011 at 3:09 PM

• Snooth User: hogfatt

Nice, I have one of those Torii Mor "Deux Verres" Reserve Pinot Noir 2008 in my fridge sent from the wine club this year! $$

Jan 04, 2011 at 6:23 PM

• Snooth User: MANY 82

You said "Top 12 West Coast Wine of the year 2010", them you show wine from 2009, 2008 and others not one from 2010.
    I would prefer you tell us what are the wine that you like.
    When I was in San Francisco, I rent a car and visit at list 20 winery, I did not like any. They all taste vinaigrette.
    Them we went to eat in a small Restaurant, that some one recommended,it was run by a husband and wife, I ask the house wine and it was delicious, I ask for the label, I place in my wallet and I ask in many stores and not one had it.
    Dr. Manuel Avellan, PhD