Six More Wines for a Cheap Drunk

Fun, easy-drinking values for every wine lover

So, we certainly had some spirited responses to our last email about some of the greatest value wines for getting your drunk on. Did I really just say that? I think I did! It should have come as no surprise to anyone that my go-to wines tend to be Italian, but truth is there’s a world of great wine out there, and I indulge with wines from all over the globe.

I base most of my drinking around what I’ll be eating, with the wine sort of playing second fiddle. If I’m in the mood for barbeque, for example, I’ll think about the wines I have on hand that would go with ‘cue, and then once my wine is chosen, I can follow up with a recipe that I think will work with it. Ok, so that’s one mighty loud second fiddle, but with wines like this you'd better pay attention!

Join the chat on Snooth

Do you have a go-to "just for fun" wine? Do you have any favorite bottles for under $10? Head to the Snooth forums and let us know. While you're there, weigh in on our Global Tasting Initiative by telling us about your best-ever Cabernet Sauvignon experience.
One of California’s truly great wines in my opinion is good ol' Zin. There are a ton of producers making wines that suffer from all the ailments that plague modern winemaking (ie, too much alcohol, oak, and sweetness) but when you find someone making a bright, pure style, Zin can be remarkably food friendly as well as easy on the wallet. For a lighter Zin, like the ones recommended below, grilled or pan-seared pork is an ideal match. I like to prepare bone-in pork chops on the grill with cracked black pepper, and slap them into a freshly-baked roll. Perfect with a tumbler of fresh Zin!

Two To Try:

2008 Sobon Hillside

2007 Pedroncelli Mother Clone

There are tons of people talking about Gamay these days, referring to the wines as “baby Burgundy” and the like. Truth is the best of Gamay do resemble some Burgundy, especially with a bit of age, but the wines I’m thinking of are best described on their own terms, full of fresh fruit in an easy-to-like (drink) style. Gamay is about as food friendly a wine as one can get. The prefect match though? You got it, roast chicken. Stuff some herbs under the skin, throw a lemon and some garlic in the cavity, and pair it with Bojo on the back porch.

Two to Try:

2008 Jadot Beaujolais Village

2008 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly

Here’s a tip: Edmund St. John is a winery that flies under the radar but never fails to produce complex, balanced wines at very fair prices.  If you’re not familiar with them, make a point of finding out about their wines.

Ok, so this is a bit of a stretch in many ways. The red wines of an entire country, how am I going to go about dealing with this? Well, I’m not. I will say that there are tons of great, inexpensive wines coming out of Portugal. In a certain way it’s the last frontier, especially of Europe, where obscure varieties and old vines have met innovative and adventuresome new winemakers, supplying the world markets with incredible deals. Rich, rustic wines that drink well on release and yet can benefit from time in the cellar, that’s Portuguese reds in a nutshell, and an idea for another email series – inexpensive wines for your cellar! Stay tuned.

The Portuguese wines I've been drinking tend to be classically structured wines perfect for stews and braised meats. They're a little rustic so you don't have to get fancy with the spices, and just so I can sneak something Italian in here, I 'd serve it with polenta!  Yeah I eat a lot of polenta, at least it's cheap!

Two to try:

2007 Porca de Murca

2006 Lavradores de Feitoria Douro Tinto

Want to know more? Don't miss part one of Six Wines for a Cheap Drunk.

Get to know Snooth's favorite experts

Welcome to The Grapevine
In this weekly feature, we pose 10 burning questions to prominent wine experts -- we'll pick their brains about wine myths, trends, and the best values on the market.

10 Questions for Jeff Lefevere

Jeff Lefevere, founder and editor of the award-winning site Good Grape: A Wine Manifesto, does away with the velvet rope and offers intelligent, accessible insights into the wine business and culture as a whole.

Comments

• Snooth User: FrOnePutt

Don't forget Spanish Granache -- inexpensive and mouth filling - Rochas comes to mind - it's a little rough but will smooth out.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

• Snooth User: FrOnePutt

Inexpensive Zin? Good suggestion - I like Rosenblum's Appelation Series at less than $20. It has a bit of complexity that makes it an interesting drunk.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

You got a great point there. So much great Grenache coming out of Spain, though to be honest it's not my favorite grape. I did really dig the Cameron Hughes Lot 129 Campo de Borja Grenache I tried on Monday though!

I love a good Zin that doesn't try too hard. Still some great values out there like the Rosenblum.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

• I concur that Zinfandel is a great choice for the "cheap drunk". You mention that high alcohol % levels plague modern wine-making, which I don't neccessarily disagree with... but if we're going to stay true to the title of this article, HIGH Alcohol % levels are actually a PLUS to the cheap drunk. Afterall, MORE Alcohol % per $ spent is the definition of the term used in the title "CHEAP DRUNK". That's what makes someone a cheap drunk if they only drink cheap hard liquor versus say beer. It's more efficient for the task at hand! :)

Of coures since we're talking wine, I think ZIN is great because it has a lot of characteristics that can help counteract high Alcohol %'s ... and you can still enjoy it. It tends to have lots of up-front fruit on the palate, but most importantly it may have a spicy exotic finish to ease the heat felt from the alcohol if it's 14-15+ %. That way it can 'dance' with the alcohol and embrace it. In terms of drunk "efficiency", you can still enjoy your wine and not be completely put off by the heat of the alcohol.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

• Snooth User: tumacho6

I have discovered the best wine for a cheap drunk, it is called dry red Georgian wine, Saperavi grape. It has the taste of a nice Tuscan super expensive red, yet the price of a cheap beer in a New York bar.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM

• The Coppola Rosso is a great wine, blended with zin, which most blends are not....

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM

• Snooth User: FrOnePutt

Agree -- Grenache is not my favorite -- it's a better blended wine with Mourvedre and Syrah!

Tablas Creek comes to mind, Linne Callado, Saxum -- but those are definitely NOT cheap drunks!

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

• Snooth User: Canne
    200793 12

Have been finding a lot of really good wine under $20 and even under $10 at our local discount wine store, Green's, in Atlanta. They highlight great "value" wines at under $10, and almost to a one, Green's has them spot on! Just found a really good one, Jade Mountain Cab Sauv California 2007. WAAYYY good for $10! It's a blend of cabernets from Napa (55%), Sonoma (41%), and Lake (4%) Counties. From Green's wine buyer: "Chocolate, cocoa, and mint in the bouquet, it has a rich concentrated flavor. Supple and smooth, it is delicious for current drinking." I concur!

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

• Snooth User: FrOnePutt

I definitely agree that a good Zin makes a GREAT inexpensive (everything is relative) drunk. Because a drunk is normally had without food -- and with all of that forward fruit, afterwards you get hit by the current rage of high alcohol, and then finishing with some spice at the end -- you get a "Man, that's great, even if the alcohol is high" drunk.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

• Snooth User: eduardodelvino

I also like the Carmeneres from Chili. La Joya, Casilliero Del Diablo, and Calina...

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

• Snooth User: mikeakay
    205453 6

OK Greg now you have done it. Telling everybody about one of my favorite wineries, Edmund St. John. I hope they listen to you and find out for themselves how good their wines are. I have been enjoying the Bone Jolly Gamay noir and Gamay rose, both very tasty. Speaking of roses, please do a column on affordable roses for summer enjoyment. I have already started stocking up but would welcome your suggestions.
    Keep up the good information, even if it means giving away more of my special go to wineries. Chahalem has a great Gamay, they call it Cerise and I have had several really enjoyable and affordable Gamays from Canadian wineries also.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Hey Mike,

The secret is out! seriously, I love Steve's wines and they definitely don't get the attention they deserve. I'm on the lookout for Roses and am actively encouraging wineries to submit some samples for tasting. Stay tuned for a round-up soon.

And thank you for the kind words, and the great tips!

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM

• One of my favorite red zins is Four Vines.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM

• Cheap wines? You think these are cheap? In NYC where almost nothing is cheap...wow do I like Gato Negro, particularly their Pinot Grigio at $7.99 a magnum! During the summer, give me a Vinho Verde, purchased from Trader Joe's, at $3.99 a bottle. And there, at Trader Joe's, a wise shopper finds a host of quite drinkable wines for $5 a bottle. Rioja; Carmenere; Grenache...it seems that with a latin flavor the wines are happy and inexpensive and quite drinkable. And then there is the TJ label, with wines as low as $3 a bottle. Not my personal choice but some people do like them...but for a cheap drunk? Hard to beat.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM

• Snooth User: actorbabs

My budget is more like under $10 and I really like Black Mountain Zin. For $5.99, it's tasty, fruity without being sweet and tastes round on my tongue. When I'm splurging, I get Fife Zin for $15. It is yummy!

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM

• Snooth User: redneck

Chessman makes a good Zin. I think the latest vintage is around $13 a bottle. I'm also really liking the Monastrell wines from Spain lately. In particular, Juan Gil and Hecula at around $12 locally.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM

• For me Paso Robles provides the best Zins around. A visit to the Paso Robles Zinfandel Festival would convince most, I think.

A few special ones are Opolo Mountain Zinfandel and then more in the lower budget is Adelaida Schoolhouse Zinfandel, their Michael's Estate is a little bit more $28 but wonderful.

Real fun series, thanks

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM

• Snooth User: crrlygrrl

Four Vines and Rosemblum are two favorites for Zins. Four Vines has their Old Vine Cuvee for about $12 at Cost Plus, and you can find the Rosenblum 2006 North Coast blend (80% zin) for $7.97 (also at Cost Plus World Market). Just picked up another bottle of that. LOVE Four Vines Biker and Sophisticate, but you are looking at ~$25/bottle, so not a "cheap drunk."

I also like the 2007 Perrin & Fils Cote du Rhone for a whooping $6.99 at Trader Joe's. That's a great Rhone blend that's hard to beat, price-wise. A great Tuesday night wine, that pairs well with many foods.

I also like the 2006 Juan Gil Jumilla, if you can find it. Was about $12 at Costco last time I found it. Yum!!

As the weather warms, I'm edging towards Chalone's Monterey Co. Chardonnay, which can be scored for as little as $8.99 bottle. Goes well with chicken, salads, or for that matter, just to sip on.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM

• I'm interested in mikeakay's mention of Canadian Gamays. We live 1 mile from the border (I married a Canuck), so we've gone on holiday in the Okanogan and tasted at the area wineries. However, these wines are comparatively expensive due to taxes. I do like Blasted Church's Dam Flood (the winery is in OK Falls; haven't actually visited there), a red blend. Has anyone been there or tried their other wines?

PS - Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin is a Skid-Row cheap drunk at around $10, and I also like a lot of the South American reds - inexpensive but not anemic.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Wow great tips folks, keep them coming. I like the trader Joes reccos but the truth is their wines are not generally nationally available and recommending one may mean recommending a wine only available at a TJ's.

As far as the south Americans go, i definitely have a preference for Malbec over Carmenere. That should be a head to head taste test one day!

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM

• Ah yes crrlygrrl ... the 2006 Juan Gil Jumilla. Had this about a month ago, although it goes for ~ @22 up North in Canada here. Great bottle of wine.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM

• Snooth User: crrlygrrl

As a follow-on...one can find the 2007 Perrin & Fils Cote du Rhone at K & L Wines (http://www.klwines.com) as well, for $7.99! Plus many of the wines mentioned above. Enjoy!

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

• Snooth User: alanol

If you can, try a Sierra Foothills Zin- El Dorado County wines are "active" on the palate and have pepper and spice finish. Amador County Zins are a bit more refined. Lots to choose from, any Karley zin is sure to please (tho' not cheap).

Rhones too are grown in the Foothills - big Syrahs, Mourvedre and Grenache are lush but approachable and affordable. Look for David Girard Vineyards - not widely distributed but can be found.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM

• Snooth User: Ladypdj

I'm so happy you said, "Getting your drunk on." That's a term that my favorite world traveling and global wine drinking cousin and I use. Now I feel right at home. I have not tried any of the Gamays, so now I'll have to "Get my drunk on" too...

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM

• Snooth User: z235e49
    199151 5

columbia crest of washington state makes a two vines merlot and a two vines cabernet that are both under $10 and go down really smoothly.

someone mentiioned the juan gil jumillla- excellent but it is about $14 in ny.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM

• Snooth User: strantam

Paso Robles has wonderful Zins. Tobin James French Camp ($25), FATBOY ($50) or Blue Moon Reserve ($150) are wonderful.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: Ladypdj

My go-to, hit and run just for fun, wine is Relax Riesling...under $10.00...nice and easy...

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Juan Gil, both the regular Jumilla and the organic Verde are great buys. Love that 2007 Perrin at $8! That is a steal!

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM

With a name like relax Riesling, it already sounds like a winner!

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM

• I'm loving these suggestions! Especially as a Masters student studying in London, I am really strapped in the pocketbook. Greg, I have to say, I usually am with you on the Malbec point, but I have been pretty impressed by the couple of Carmeneres I have tried. You should get on that taste test and fill me in! :) I'd love a little more on the Portuguese Reds though. I had a semi-recent trip to Porto and dove head first into Ports, which I now LOVE. That said, I know very little outside Port and Vinho Verde. Tell me more!! :)

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:35 PM

• Snooth User: MQOS

Don't forget about Marietta old vine Lot 51 or even Garnacha de Fuego

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM

• Snooth User: pompyb

Hey bondgirl,
    My first intro to Canadian wine was Blasted Church - not only was I blown away by the name but also by the taste of the inexpensive Cabernet- Merlot. Must try! Being in CA I regret not being able to get any more of it ;(
    As for cheap wines - I recently discovered a "cheap" Catena (of the expensive Zapata family vineyards) Malbec. Outstanding for under $20. Available at Costco. Inexpensive Rhones are always a favorite with me also.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Man the old Marietta Lots were great. I still have a stray bottle of 18 or 23 or so laying about somewhere, great call.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM

• Snooth User: luvgrapes

Woo hoo, Greg, you have us chattering like sparrows at the bird feeder.
    I just picked up one of my favorite summer deck wines and, oh my, it's so cheap! Rene Barbier Mediterranean White. Really nice on the deck on a beautiful spring day. Since it's only 11.5% you might want to pick up a few, but that's ok, it's only 5.99 where I shop.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

• Not exactly a cheap bottle, but SKYE ZIN, tastiest full body Zin I've had. Haven't seen it around for a while though, mayby they sold out ?

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM

• Snooth User: Cathy09

Bogle - Old vine zin - I'm mostly a white wine enthusiast but I really like this one if I'm going for red, I think maybe around $11-13

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Well, Greg, as luvgrapes mentioned, you seem to have hit a rich vein with this budding poorman's cheapdrunk wine series. Come to think of it, the two Forum threads on favorite wines under $13 from last year, and more recently another thread for wines under $10, have had some of the largest number of responses within the forum, too. Perhaps you should search through the forum, looking at all the other threads with the greatest number of responses, and then do Articles on similar subjects? You'll likely continue to get bigger responses to such Articles than the several which receive only five or even two comments...

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:57 PM

• Snooth User: queenkjr

Well Greg,I like Stella,(sorry Italian again) Sangiovese, $10- a bottle here in Hawaii so you can get it for less most everywhere else I would guess. Also Penfolds Rawson's Retreat,Merlot & Cab Sauv from Australia about $7- on sale if you can get it is my everyday ,right now.Just bought a bottle of Carmenere from Chile, I have yet to try which was about $10-. Hard to get wine in that price bracket that's good here in Hawaii. I can't wait for the write up on box wines!!!

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

• Snooth User: outthere

Bone-in pork chop on a roll? Watch where you bite. Ouch!

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

I was thinking so, too, outthere... ;-)

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:01 AM

• Snooth User: WineYolanda09
    302051 108

What about Castillo Labastida Crianza from Rioja? You get a really nice modern Rioja for about $12 with plenty of fruit and just the right amount of oak. Another great-value red is Muriel Seleccion -a 100% Tempranillo fruit-bomb for about $9

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:10 AM

• Greg, I enjoy Gamay just as much as you do — but there are some who hold it in contempt. Years ago, I bought a 5-litre container of it in Ribérac (Dordogne, and one of the most sumptuous markets I have ever happened upon: wines, spirits, grub, pottery, small furniture, clothes...); alas, it was dishwater! The fact is that the humble Gamay only reaches anything like excellence in the Beaujolais district, presumably owing to some property of the soil.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:31 AM

• Snooth User: eduardodelvino

Yes to Juan Gil for inexpensive sophistication and Stump Jump GSM is a winner this year, has anyone tried the Long Island Reds? I found Shinn Estate NV Red a sleeper at $14.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Outhere and Dm,

I still remember the first time I got one of these sandwiches. I must have been 9 or 10. It was dark out and the meat was not actually grilled. It had been marinated with some mountain herbs and cooked over a large slab of stone. While being seared it was liberally doused with white wine.

I am sentimental fool, but I pretty much do the same thing, with the added pepper, and I love having that bone in. The pork isn't quite as good, but the memories certainly are!

Great Rioja can be a sick value, no doubt. And as far as the wines of Rene Barbier go, they are certainly among the best deals out there. I really enjoy both the red and the white and appreciate the freshness, and lower alcohols, of the wines. With Gamay, try the Edmunds St John Timothy. It's killer!

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I haven't tried the LI reds lately but the Fox Run Cabernet Sauvignon from the Finger Lakes is a pretty wine. Light, very Loire Valley like, crisp, fresh, and pure. It's a winner and around $12. It's also in today's budget Cabernet email.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM

• Snooth User: eduardodelvino

Thanks for the Fox Run tip! I'm curious now to locate the Edmund's St John label...and getting back to Italian..Santa Cristina from Villa Antinori is often in 'the range' and earthy, no?

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM

• Great write up , love the cheap drunk line, has any one found a melot that hits the spot for under 10.00

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Here are links to the Edmunds St John Gamays on Snooth: http://www.snooth.com/wines/bone+jolly/

Thanks Bluehat, depends on what style you're looking for byt Blackstone is awefully popular, and the last Cupcake Merlot I tried was actually pretty damn good. I highly recommend it! http://www.snooth.com/wine/cupcake-...

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM

• Snooth User: zareena81

Chilean Carmenere is good. I like the one from Chono. and I agree that Grenache is better when part of a blended wine. I'm definitely going to try some of the wines on this list, until I can buy those top dollar bottles :)

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

• LOVE Old Marietta Lots...year after year the best consistently good blend. Tempranillo's from Spain...lots of inexpensive wines with great taste.
    Just opened an amazing Ribera del Duero from Celeste...less than $15 and worth every drop. Check it out from Costco.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM

• You don't have to go to Portugal to enjoy a wide selection of Portuguese wines. Here in Southern New England the liquor stores are loaded with wines from that country. The largest concentration of Portuguese people in America is here. The wines and the food are superb. For a white Alveleda or Casal Garcia, and for reds, your selections are good.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM

• Snooth User: panzwagn

Try any of the Washington Columbia Valley Wines, either varietal or blends in the $12-18 range. A lot of the major vineyards (Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Crest) are pulling 90+ ratings for the major varietals like Cab, Merlot & Syrah, and some smaller vintners like Hudson-Shah are doing incredible things with Malbec (Blackberry & Spice!). These wines are a huge step up from the ubiquitous Columbia Crest Grand Reserve that "the consumer magazine whose name shall not be used" seem to go ga-ga over. Look for Wahluke Slope, or Rattlesnake Hills growing areas.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM

• Snooth User: FrOnePutt

Try Bitch Grenache - at a nice temp - for $9 from Chris Ringland. If you want to get your drunk on with a great aromatic Syrah for $18, try Ringland's Ebeneezer Syrah - great eucalyptus that settles down after a Vinturi pour.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Plenty of Portuguese wines here in the NYC area as well, and they are great values.

The Bitch is fun to say as well! Always a lot of wine for the money.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

• The BEST undiscovered find I've had in years were the reds from Uruguay. Incredibly lush, the most brilliant Tannats in the world, perfectly balanced Pinot Noir, some interesting blends, inexpensive, and rare to find outside of South America. I spent a few days with the folks from Pisano. They, like many of the makers there, are a small family-owned operation, and they DO export---try the Tannat. Enjoy!

May 03, 2010 at 6:09 PM

• Snooth User: admiral44

WOW! great stuff out there, I agree with almost everything I have read, you can get great cheap malbec, carmenere, grenache(really starting to enjoy as some great vintages from spain recently), and zins as well. Always a good point about the alcohol % in zins in particular, but again it is preference; I sometimes enjoy a mouthfilling jammy zin with high alc%. 7 Deadly zins is one of my fav. Being out in Spokane, WA I don't get the oppotunity to try to many NY, or Portugese wines, unfortunatley they are just really hard to find here. You can get some really fun Beaujolias for cheap and during summer chilling them and sitting on the patio is fun, a similar wine that I find is a great cheap summer wine is the JLohr "Wildflower" Valdigue. Another cheap fun one is Jacobs Creek Shiraz, I usually wouldn't suggest a grocery store wine but for $4.99 it's not bad, but my all time favorite getting "DRUNK" wine is Menage A Trois Red blend, great fruit, a bit sweet for some people but it just goes down so easy and I can have two bottles and for $9.99 I'll buy it when I know I am having more than one bottle(with friends).

May 07, 2010 at 8:29 PM

• Snooth User: Bill99k

Columbia Crest Two Vines Vineyard 10 is a steal for $5.49 at Total Wine. The 2007 is a great blend of Cab Franc, Syrah, and Sangiovese.

Jul 02, 2010 at 3:42 PM

• Don't forget about BV Coastal Cabernet Sauvingon...although it's not special occasion wine, it's very drinkable and most enjoyable and well under $10.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM