Pairing Sauvignon Blanc

6 regional wines to try and what to eat with them

« Prev Next » 6 of 8
Veneto, Italy

The Veneto may not be well known for Sauvignon Blanc, but that’s where I found this great example. With a rich and striking nose married to great balance and zesty acidity, Fattori Vecchie Sauvignon Blanc found itself as one of my favorites this year. When pairing with a recipe, I went right to my own book of tricks.

Calamari in Zimino is a traditional seafood stew that is simple to make and has a flavor that is unbeatable. In this pairing, the wine adds that needed zest of citrus to the dish and combines with the broth to create a kaleidoscope of flavors across the palate. The Swiss chard also plays a starring role here as a perfect complement to the wine. Give it a try and I’m sure you’ll be making this throughout the summer.

2010 Fattori Vecchie Scuole Veneto IGT - On the nose, this wine was rich at first but with a piercing citrus note in the background, showing butter cookie, lemon zest, minerals and white floral aromas. On the palate, it was smooth with zesty acidity making the mouth water and creating a push and pull of textures with each sip. Lemon and grapefruit with a mineral tinge painted the palate and lasted into the finish.

Get the Recipe

Comments

• Snooth User: Racer56

How could you leave out Chile?

Jun 01, 2012 at 11:57 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It certainly wasn't on purpose. You know how it works. I taste at industry tastings, through submitted samples and purchases made through recommendations at local shops. When a wine sticks out, I pair it with a recipe (or two or three) to find good matches. I guess the PR machine for Chile hasn't been pushing much wine in my direction or the NYC wine stores that I frequent. With that said, I'll be happy to seek some out in the future. It is the beginning of summer after all and I love Sauvignon Blanc.

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM

• or Austria as a matter of fact..........

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

I love me some New Zealand and Australian Sauvignon Blanc's I cant say anything bad about, they are freshing and delicious, makes you want to lay back in teh sun and lay like a turtle.

Jun 01, 2012 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: wymankok

Sancerre FTW ..

Jun 01, 2012 at 6:49 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

Wow, I might have to do Pairing Sauvignon Blanc Part 2. Well, we still have a few weeks left to the Sauvignon Blanc GTI, I'm sure there will be much more to taste and i'll be happy to share my experiences.

Jun 01, 2012 at 9:00 PM

• ok cos we kiwi wineproducers and consumers have a sense of humor we can offend the old world wine producers.I think calling a vintage "cat's pee" may have been more than a poke in the eye for some,I guess thats where your discription comes from.we can afford to be flipant when the wine tastes so fantastic ;-)

Jun 02, 2012 at 7:04 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It was a fantastic wine. In school, you learn to describe certain aromas in certain ways and that's what I got. Like I tried to say in the note, it wasn't a bad thing. In fact, it added depth to the wine that it would have lack aromatically without it.

Jun 02, 2012 at 9:13 AM

• you misread my earlier comment - I said AUSTRIA not Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM