Pairing Sauvignon Blanc

6 regional wines to try and what to eat with them

« Prev Next » 5 of 8
California, United States

You'd think that most Sauvignon Blanc (sometimes labeled Fumé Blanc) would be an over the top, tropical fruit bomb in California, and you’d be wrong. Today, California turns out Sauvignon with intense fruit balanced by zesty acidity. Some styles aim more for the Bordeaux style of Sauvignon with aging in small barrels, but most of what you’ll find will be great food wine with all the citrus and mineral zing you crave.

The pairing that won my heart was this against Sole Fillets with Toasted Pine Nuts, Lemon, and Basil. Sauvignon Blanc and fish is a no-brainer, but this recipe takes it to the next level as the pine nuts add a smooth texture for the Sauvignon to contrast against and the basil gives minty, herbal notes to complement the wine’s fruity bouquet.

2009 Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc Vintner's Reserve California - The nose showed ripe peach up front with notes of kiwi and lime. With time in the glass, aromas of green grass and spicy minerals joined the ripe fruits to present a very balanced bouquet. On the palate, it was crisp yet medium-bodied with melon, rich white fruits and a hint of bitter citrus. The finish tapered off with lasting pear and mouthwatering citrus notes.

Get the Recipe

Photo courtesy of Steve Hunter via Fine Cooking

Comments

• Snooth User: Racer56

How could you leave out Chile?

Jun 01, 2012 at 11:57 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It certainly wasn't on purpose. You know how it works. I taste at industry tastings, through submitted samples and purchases made through recommendations at local shops. When a wine sticks out, I pair it with a recipe (or two or three) to find good matches. I guess the PR machine for Chile hasn't been pushing much wine in my direction or the NYC wine stores that I frequent. With that said, I'll be happy to seek some out in the future. It is the beginning of summer after all and I love Sauvignon Blanc.

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM

• or Austria as a matter of fact..........

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

I love me some New Zealand and Australian Sauvignon Blanc's I cant say anything bad about, they are freshing and delicious, makes you want to lay back in teh sun and lay like a turtle.

Jun 01, 2012 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: wymankok

Sancerre FTW ..

Jun 01, 2012 at 6:49 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

Wow, I might have to do Pairing Sauvignon Blanc Part 2. Well, we still have a few weeks left to the Sauvignon Blanc GTI, I'm sure there will be much more to taste and i'll be happy to share my experiences.

Jun 01, 2012 at 9:00 PM

• ok cos we kiwi wineproducers and consumers have a sense of humor we can offend the old world wine producers.I think calling a vintage "cat's pee" may have been more than a poke in the eye for some,I guess thats where your discription comes from.we can afford to be flipant when the wine tastes so fantastic ;-)

Jun 02, 2012 at 7:04 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It was a fantastic wine. In school, you learn to describe certain aromas in certain ways and that's what I got. Like I tried to say in the note, it wasn't a bad thing. In fact, it added depth to the wine that it would have lack aromatically without it.

Jun 02, 2012 at 9:13 AM

• you misread my earlier comment - I said AUSTRIA not Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM