Pairing Sauvignon Blanc

6 regional wines to try and what to eat with them

« Prev Next » 4 of 8
Trentino, Italy

Over time, I have become a big fan of the white wines of Trentino, and this Sauvignon Blanc was so good that it stopped me in my tracks. There was so much intensity, yet it remained so pure and focused with great balance. I realized that I had to pair this wine with food because it presented a great opportunity to take advantage of its varietal character mixed with its racy intensity.

No, the chef did not go mad! The right Sauvignon Blanc can pair beautifully against a salad. In this pairing, it’s the intensity of the wine that adds layers of flavor and aromas to an Avocado and Mango Salad with Passion Fruit Vinaigrette. Will the dressing give this wine a run for its money? Yes, but in a good way.

2011 Concilio Sauvignon Blanc Trentino Arjent - The nose was striking with aromas of fresh-squeezed lemon, floral perfume and stony minerals. On the palate, it started soft and enveloping yet quickly turned clean and focused as flavors of lemon zest and granny smith apple filled the senses. The finish was lingering yet mouthwatering with lemon and floral notes. This was a great example of Sauvignon Blanc from a northern climate.

Get the Recipe

Photo courtesy of Leo Gong via Epicurious.com

Comments

• Snooth User: Racer56

How could you leave out Chile?

Jun 01, 2012 at 11:57 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It certainly wasn't on purpose. You know how it works. I taste at industry tastings, through submitted samples and purchases made through recommendations at local shops. When a wine sticks out, I pair it with a recipe (or two or three) to find good matches. I guess the PR machine for Chile hasn't been pushing much wine in my direction or the NYC wine stores that I frequent. With that said, I'll be happy to seek some out in the future. It is the beginning of summer after all and I love Sauvignon Blanc.

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM

• or Austria as a matter of fact..........

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

I love me some New Zealand and Australian Sauvignon Blanc's I cant say anything bad about, they are freshing and delicious, makes you want to lay back in teh sun and lay like a turtle.

Jun 01, 2012 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: wymankok

Sancerre FTW ..

Jun 01, 2012 at 6:49 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

Wow, I might have to do Pairing Sauvignon Blanc Part 2. Well, we still have a few weeks left to the Sauvignon Blanc GTI, I'm sure there will be much more to taste and i'll be happy to share my experiences.

Jun 01, 2012 at 9:00 PM

• ok cos we kiwi wineproducers and consumers have a sense of humor we can offend the old world wine producers.I think calling a vintage "cat's pee" may have been more than a poke in the eye for some,I guess thats where your discription comes from.we can afford to be flipant when the wine tastes so fantastic ;-)

Jun 02, 2012 at 7:04 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It was a fantastic wine. In school, you learn to describe certain aromas in certain ways and that's what I got. Like I tried to say in the note, it wasn't a bad thing. In fact, it added depth to the wine that it would have lack aromatically without it.

Jun 02, 2012 at 9:13 AM

• you misread my earlier comment - I said AUSTRIA not Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM