Pairing Sauvignon Blanc

6 regional wines to try and what to eat with them

Next » 1 of 8
Pairing Sauvignon Blanc Spring is here with summer around the corner, and although I will miss the big, structured red wines that I love so much, this time of year has me longing for Sauvignon Blanc.

I know that some people might think of Chardonnay, but not me. For me, Sauvignon Blanc is the ultimate warm weather wine. It’s extremely versatile with lunch, dinner, the grill or just sitting around on a hot summer afternoon. What’s more, you can find it in all styles, from rich with ripe tropical tones to mineral-laden with tart citrus that makes your cheeks pucker.

It’s also one of the most versatile food wines I know. How many wines do you know of that can pair with salad, asparagus or sushi? The right Sauvignon Blanc can. What can be confusing is knowing what you’re going to get from a bottle. You can generalize that California will produce a ripe Sauvignon, but it’s often the grower and winemaker that determine a wine's characteristics. Was the climate moderate or hot? Was the soil gravel or schist? Was the wine aged in barrel or stainless steel? The good news is that they are all wonderful expressions of Sauvignon Blanc and each pairs superbly with the right recipe.

It’s with this in mind that I set out to pair some of my favorite Sauvignons that I tasted this year with a bunch of great recipes perfect for spring and summer.

Photo courtesy of Rivard via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Snooth User: Racer56

How could you leave out Chile?

Jun 01, 2012 at 11:57 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It certainly wasn't on purpose. You know how it works. I taste at industry tastings, through submitted samples and purchases made through recommendations at local shops. When a wine sticks out, I pair it with a recipe (or two or three) to find good matches. I guess the PR machine for Chile hasn't been pushing much wine in my direction or the NYC wine stores that I frequent. With that said, I'll be happy to seek some out in the future. It is the beginning of summer after all and I love Sauvignon Blanc.

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM

• or Austria as a matter of fact..........

Jun 01, 2012 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: redwine89

I love me some New Zealand and Australian Sauvignon Blanc's I cant say anything bad about, they are freshing and delicious, makes you want to lay back in teh sun and lay like a turtle.

Jun 01, 2012 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: wymankok

Sancerre FTW ..

Jun 01, 2012 at 6:49 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

Wow, I might have to do Pairing Sauvignon Blanc Part 2. Well, we still have a few weeks left to the Sauvignon Blanc GTI, I'm sure there will be much more to taste and i'll be happy to share my experiences.

Jun 01, 2012 at 9:00 PM

• ok cos we kiwi wineproducers and consumers have a sense of humor we can offend the old world wine producers.I think calling a vintage "cat's pee" may have been more than a poke in the eye for some,I guess thats where your discription comes from.we can afford to be flipant when the wine tastes so fantastic ;-)

Jun 02, 2012 at 7:04 AM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

It was a fantastic wine. In school, you learn to describe certain aromas in certain ways and that's what I got. Like I tried to say in the note, it wasn't a bad thing. In fact, it added depth to the wine that it would have lack aromatically without it.

Jun 02, 2012 at 9:13 AM

• you misread my earlier comment - I said AUSTRIA not Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM