Popular Wine-Tasting Themes

Regional, vertical, horizontal -- and checkerboard

Next » 1 of 10
Popular Wine-Tasting Themes I recently wrote about wine-tasting parties and almost as an afterthought mentioned a few common themes, so I thought I might take some time to discuss some of the more popular wine-tasting themes and delve into this topic a little deeper. Truth be told it’s a pretty common question; I am often asked, “What wines should I taste?” Well, here’s a brief rundown of some of my most frequent answers.

Comments

• Snooth User: HSquared

I recently did an Old World, New World tasting. For example, we compared a California Chardonnay with a French white from Burgundy.

Nov 01, 2010 at 12:46 PM

• Snooth User: abquiat

I nominate "three-dimensional" to replace the term "checkerboard".

Nov 01, 2010 at 4:55 PM

• Snooth User: mechita

My friends and I like to go for "wines tastings" and wine dinners, so far we find quality, elegance, and clean wines on the Jorge Ordonez selections, (wines from Spain) try, Muga, Allende, Emilio Moro, Juan Gil, Spiga, they are all great wines !!!!!!

Nov 01, 2010 at 5:57 PM

• Snooth User: Perk08

We did two tastings with a group of 12 friends over diner in the last year. The first 'single bottle club' had wines that costed over NZ$100 with a variety of Australian, French and Italian classics. The second diner had wines that had to be less than NZ$15 each. We found some surprisingly excellent wines in local supermarkets. All tastings with notes and marks acompanies with a five course meal (we are lucky to have our own masterchef in our group of friends). Maybe next time we go for 'vintage 9' or something like that, meaning all bottles need to be from 2009, 1999, 1989 and so on and/or from a specific region, grape or region. Always good fun, lots of laughing and good wines.

Nov 01, 2010 at 6:08 PM

• I'm planning a "Great Red Wines of the Columbia River Gorge" tasting fundraiser. I've selected 7 of my favorites - from 7 wineries - all different varietals and two red blends. the tasters (limit 25) will be challenged to try to identify the varietal and the winery (blind tasting). plus pick their top three choices in order. The top three winners get to choose a bottle of their selected favorite. If any of the participants are employed at a winery represented in the tasting (they are encouraged to attend) they can compete but if they fail to identify their own winery's wine - they lose 3 points! Appropriate cheeses and selected meats and breads complete the offering. The wines range in price from $20 to $40. Requested minimum donation is $25 which goes to the local charity - "Friends of Hood River Library" ----- Your challenge is: come up with a name for this tasting! I guess it fits your classification of "Regional" it is that. But I'm looking for something with more pizzazzzzz!

Nov 01, 2010 at 7:07 PM

• Gregory, looking at all you had to go through, I really feel sorry for you. But hey, somebody's got to do it!

Nov 01, 2010 at 7:56 PM

• Snooth User: pirateye

Greg,

You nailed the name, but in the wrong order, how about "Columbia River Great Red Wine Gorge"
    Sounds like a great event good luck.

Nov 01, 2010 at 10:06 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Well have only reached your Veneto tasting so far, but am impressed. Why didn't you call? ;-)

Nov 02, 2010 at 5:28 AM

• I think some of the best wine tastings are "blind." Last week, I helped host a blind California vs. France tasting where, for each varietal, we compared one bottle from each area. The cost of each wine within each pair was kept the same. The wines, and thus the varietals, were not disclosed until the end, after the participants had voted on which wine they liked the best out of each pair, and why. We kept things simple with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet, but we could have gotten trickier if we wanted. The results were pretty interesting.

Nov 02, 2010 at 9:27 AM

• Don't forget "rainbow", in which you taste each style (white, rose, red and dessert) from a particular area (eg Bordeaux) or producer.

But somehow all of our tastings descend into No 8 - chaos...

Nov 02, 2010 at 11:44 AM

• Snooth User: Stephen Harvey
    220753 1,449

Lets not forget the "Liverbuster"

2 Bottles per person, with Port and Cigars to finish!

Sort of a Chaos with a kick

Nov 03, 2010 at 8:15 AM

• Mr Harvey, you sound like our kind of gentleman!

Nov 03, 2010 at 8:36 AM

• Snooth User: flbrkwino

My cellar contains about 300 bottles of mostly OK to good wines with a few exceptional. My problem is that my wife and i cannot keep up with what I buy. So recently I invited 10 friends to dinner and told them all to go into the cellar and pick what ever they wanted to drink with no exception. First they could not believe that I was serious and second they were reluctant. In the end it worked out great and no one was brave enough to pick out the most expensive in the cellar and everyone participated and enjoyed.

Nov 03, 2010 at 6:13 PM

• Snooth User: All You Need Is Wine

I sell a blind wine tasting party game called "All You Need Is Wine". It is a great game for hosting wine tasting parties and a great holiday gift idea! Buy online for $29.99 at http://www.allyouneediswine.com

Nov 04, 2010 at 10:29 PM

• Sounds like a great idea!

Nov 07, 2010 at 2:58 PM

• Snooth User: erniex

In our private little wine club we always do tastings with themes, always blind, and the theme is one to be guessed by the participants as we go along.
    Quite many interesting and creative themes through the years, such as wines from countries participating in the soccer world championship (2002), and on the more serious side, wines from Antinori estates. The latter a quite interesting and highly recommendable one to try from a producer with quite many estates both in Italy and abroad, even in different price ranges and styles. Few other such widespread producers to be found out there.

And if you haven´t done verticals already - get going. this is a super effective way to learn about vintages vs house style on a tight benchmark... And definitely not as informed wines as one would perhaps expect.

Nov 09, 2010 at 1:32 AM