5 More Popular Wine Questions

You asked, we answer

Next » 1 of 7

5 More Popular Wine Questions

It seems like popular wine questions are an endless resource! Though the truth is that shouldn't be a surprise. Wine is about as complex as you want to make it. There are so many wines, so many issues and so much detail that is available to learn, that it is very much an endless topic, generating endless questions.

I'm tackling another five today, with more to come. So, if you have a wine question -- and trust me, there are no stupid wine questions -- feel free to ask away in the comments. Just as an aside, there are stupid wine answers, and I've been collecting several. It's amazing what some wine "experts" have to say -- almost as bad as those dreadful "predictions for 2011" that annoyed me more than a little last week!

Comments

• Snooth User: KerryBrash

Wine question for your next article. Why is pouring 4 to 5 oz. the recommended serving for red wine and 3 oz. recommended for white?

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM

• Snooth User: mcriella

Red wine glasses are usually bigger than the ones for white . The amount you pour is proportional to the wine glass you are using. One needs to allow enough space to swirl the wine,to let it breathe and allow your nose to pick up the aromas or bouquet.For a red wine glass the amount cited above( 120-150 ml) is appropriate and the 90 ml for a white wine glass is also correct.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

• Snooth User: deke13

Another wine question, in two parts: Why are there so many different wine glass shapes? And if they really do influence the taste of different wines, which one should I own since I have limited cabinet space?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

• Snooth User: gerrad

YES, they do influence the drinking experience- just try a reidel up against a jam jar, next time you tuck into a $200 mersault if your unconvinced. Id advise you have a set of all-purpose red and white glasses, plus a good bordeaux-style and chardy glass each for when its just you and a friend!

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:24 AM

• Deke - I used to ask the same question. My wife and I had some standard all-purpose wine glasses that we used. Then we got a set of Bordeaux glasses and a set of Chardonnay glasses as gifts. The differences were noticible and favorable. We've since expanded out (as we do have the storage space). As for what do get, go with whatever you drink most often and use your every day glasses for everything else.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM

• Snooth User: gerrad

they dont even need to be super-expensive. im rocking with the stemless reidels at about $25ea- and they dont spill on me when i doze while drinking in the armchair, most important with beige couches!

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:49 AM

• Snooth User: Des BK

When buying any wine, how do you know how long to keep it till it has reached its prime ?

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

• Snooth User: Food Guy

And this person gets paid to do this!

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

• Snooth User: limdad

Are clairret wines available(under what name(s)?

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:47 PM

• Snooth User: glehman

Uh, what was the question again? Oh yeah, chocolate. I actually think I get chocolate overtones from yeast nutrient reacting with sulfides.

Did someone actually taste graphite to confirm it as a descriptor?

Drink what you like, like what you dring. Best of all, make your own wine.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM

• Snooth User: philogeek

Food Guy: "As a successful wine sales person, I find this to be one of the most ambiguous articles I have read about wine. It says virtually nothing. Love the answer to where the best wines come from; crap.
    And this person gets paid to do this!"
    _____
    Actually, the answer provided makes complete sense. If, as a "successful wine sales person [sic]", you find articles obviously written for beginners irritating, perhaps you should just skip them next time.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM