Pinot Noir for Thanksgiving

Pinot Noir for Every Palate and Pocketbook

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It’s a celebration of togetherness and sharing that has only one purpose, to give thanks. Thanks for the bounty on our table, thanks for the company we get to keep, and thanks for the time we spend together.

As a wine lover though, it can be a difficult holiday, as I am sure many of you know. The traditional sides, those delicious yams, and the sweet and sour tang of cranberry sauce can make wine pairings a challenge. Fortunately for me, I am very forgiving if the wine doesn’t sing with every element of my meal, and besides that, for me it’s all about the bird, thigh please.

Nonetheless, a lot of thought goes into selecting wines for these types of celebrations. While other wines might be better matches, I’m thinking of Lambrusco and Loire Valley Chenin Blanc for example, those can be geeky and intimidating choices. So what wine is a good choice, will work well with the food, and make a thousand palates sing? Pinot Noir of course.

A Wonderful Surprise from Argentina

For elegance and finesse the 2007 Barda could not be beat. It just screamed Pinot Noir, with wonderful depth of flavor in a lighter style. The structural elements of the wine were exquisitely balanced, giving this bottle an impression of lightness that allowed the rich flavors to take center stage.

2007 Barda Pinot Noir Patagonia Rio Negro
While subtle, this is very complex with a faintly sweet edge to the medicinal herb notes and lovely insinuations of cigarette ash and limestone that gives this real finesse on the nose. Pure, light red fruits dance across the palate.

The Sta. Rita Hills Produce Classic California Pinot

For those  looking for a rich, balanced style of wine, may I suggest the 2007 Foley. It exhibited wonderful depth of fruit in a pure, unfettered style that is rich enough to stand up to the full flavored dishes of the Thanksgiving table, yet balanced enough to drink all night.

2007 Foley Rancho Santa Rosa Pinot Noir
Silken on the palate, with stealthy tannins and wonderfully supportive acids that keep the slight herb and cocoa toned cherry and strawberry fruit fresh and lively across the palate. Really very fruity on the backend, yet with a refreshing, slightly green edge.

The Central Coast not only produces great wines, but great values as well.

If you are looking for value, the MacMurray Ranch Central Coast Pinot cannot be beat. It’s made in an easy drinking style but doesn’t sacrifice much in the way of richness and depth, and has such pretty, ripe fruit that it makes this one of the stars of the tasting at its price.

2007 MacMurray Ranch Central Coast Pinot Noir
Nice cherry fruit on the palate with a slight herbal edge adding freshness and complexity. The tannins are a bit coarse and there is a raw woody edge on the short finish, but the fruit is fresh with good intensity and the feel is fresh, if somewhat chunky.

Comments

• I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. I have enjoyed many California wines, but I also very much enjoy the wines from this valley. This review of Thanksgiving Pinot's includes a couple of out-of-country wines and all the rest California wines. Is your site primarily intended for the promotion of California wines? I opened this review hoping to see info for some Cali and some Oregon wines, as well, to help me decide if I should head out to any of the locals for a Thanksgiving weekend wine tour, besides my store shopping to stock up for our dinner party.

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:56 AM

• Snooth User: BobRosie

As it happens, I live just a few miles from the Willamette Valley in Oregon, known for fabulous pinot noirs. In fact, some of the California wineries with highly rated Pinots source their juice from Oregonian vineyards.

Reading your list of pinots in this "article," I guess the writer is not unlike many who think the sun does not shine on the Pacific NW. I thought we were over those days, but I guess Snooth's entreprenurial interests are not located here.

BobRosie

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:57 AM

• I just moved to Eastern Oregon and am trying to learn about the nice wines available rom Willamette valley and Washington state. It would be great if BobRosie and LuvOregonPinot would repost with some suggestions. I"m headed to Bella's in Baker City to buy our Thanksgiving wine, and would like to buy some OR wines.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:04 PM

• Snooth User: rfbegani

I visit my son and his family in Portland, Oregon often and travel to the Willamette Valley each time to enjoy the extraordinary Pinot Wines. I too wonder why you have not listed them. They are equal to if not better than imported and Coastal California.

Bob

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM

• Snooth User: petrel

Disappointing...I have to agree with the other comments...I am from outside the US and some of the most outstanding Pinot Noirs are from the Willamette Valley...worth the price and worth stocking up on! It's a shame you gave these great wines from Oregon a miss!

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM

• I'm also from Portland, Oregon and also very disappointed. Come on, have you tasted Oregon Pinots? You should be embarrassed.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:42 PM

• Snooth User: stanc

We just brought home several bottles of Clos Pegase "Mitsuko's Vinyard" 2007 Pinot. Superb Carneros wine! Screwtop no less. Compared with a 2008 Mackenzie Road, New Zealand, it is head and shoulders above for rich and mellow flavor. My take is that for Pinots, Napa is the king.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

• Snooth User: stanc

Looks like the Oregon Wine Council is out in force!

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

• Snooth User: jgoerke

I, too, have family in Portland, and regularly visit the Valley and its wineries. While I enjoy every visit, I find myself most often visiting Archery Summit, Beaux Freres, Domaine Serene, Shea and Argyle. While I enjoy many of the Calif Pinots on this list, if value is trully a factor, then I agree with all the other postings wondering what happened to Oregon suggestions. Unfortunately, the best California Pinots are rapidly pricing themselves out of these kinds of lists. The best Oregon Pinots, on the other hand, at better prices will compare with the best Pinots anywhere.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

• I'm a Californian living in the Northwest and I've sampled many a Pinot. The Willamette Valley's offerings are outstanding and award winning! Also, check out the wines from Tsillan Cellars in Chelan, WA. Very good. Someone isn't doing their homework here.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM

• I do NOT live in OR but I also love the Willamette Pinots. But I wanted in particular to thank you for your recommendation of Trinitas. We had this wine on our initial visit to Napa last year. In fact, it was the first wine we tasted while in Napa Valley. Highly recommended.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM

• Snooth User: timbw

Pinot from Central Otago, New Zealand noticable in it's absence too! Mount Dottrel Pinot Noir 2007 won the Pinot trophy in the IWSC in London this year. Perhaps hard to find NZ wines across there, or perhaps A lack of NZ producers submitting wines into your tastings?

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM

• Historyprof, since personal preference in Pinot is HUGE, I say visit http://www.willamettewines.com and look at what the different wineries offer. Myself, I have enjoyed wines from (in alphabetical order) Airlie, Ankeny, Anthony Dell, Cana's Feast, David Hill, Eola Hills, Erath, La Bete, Montinore, R. Stewart, Redhawk, Solena, Willamette VV, Yamhill Valley...to name a few as I scroll through their list. I have found excellent Reds from $10 to $50. $50 is my personal limit, and rarely, at that. As much as I enjoy a good glass of wine, it would be easy to go broke enjoying them all. I wouldn't rule out any of the wineries you find on the website I mentioned above...I just listed the ones I remembered, though I enjoy many repeat trips to Airlie, David Hill, and Erath. David Hill has a Farmhouse Red that is a blend of several grapes. It is usually like $10 a bottle, and I have yet to have it disappoint me. Eola Hills has a Sangiovese that I really like, as well as their Pinot. Airlie and Ankeny have each had Marechal Foch that I thoroughly enjoyed. Enjoy your search! Oh..I don't see David Hill or Eola Hills on the site above, though I know they have their own websites.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM

• didn't see anything from the Petaluma Gap mentioned either... Kastania has a couple of outstanding pinots that would be great with Thanksgiving fare~

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM

• Why do I get the sense that wineries from OR are writing a lot of these comments...?

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM

• Snooth User: mikeakay
    205453 6

While Pinot Noirs are my favorite wines,and I do enjoy Oregon Pinots, I find that Pinot Noir rose's or Pinot Noir sparkling wines do the best in complimenting the Thanksgiving fare. Le Crema, Hahn, Coppola, and Saintsbury (all California) make very nice Pinot based rose's and I suggest Codorniu Pinot Noir Brut Cava (Spain) as a sparkler.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:00 PM

• Snooth User: chefbobmv

i myself drink wines from the Russian river Vally,but prefer the Oregon pintos. Owen roe,A to Z,AMITY,AND Ponzi. there more and all of us like what we like so to all have a great holidays with what you like. chefbobmv

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:02 PM

• Snooth User: selwood21

I live on the East Coast, visted the Willamette Valley in 2007 and fell in love with the Oregon Pinots from the Valley. I joined the Roosevelt Club at Elk Coves Vineyard. Their limited production Pinots (only available via the club or tasting room) are my favorite. I also enjoy Rex Hill, Argyle, A to Z, and Willamette Valley Vineyard wines. If you can get to the Salem, OR area, go to Willamette Valley Vineyards and taste the Tualatin Pinot. Excellent!

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM

• Snooth User: anchca

Where are the Oregon Pinot recommendations? I know for a fact that the region I live in, the Willamette Valley, makes some of the best Pinot in the world! Please don't forget us up here in Oregon. I drink wine from all over the country and the world. There are great pinots from all over but that is what the Willamette Valley is famous for throughout the world. How could it be left out?

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM

• Snooth User: NOLAliz

I am from New Orleans but lived in Portland for 8 months after Katrina. Before my "flight" up to the PNW a french chef in a restaurant I worked at told me the best Pino Noirs in the world come from Oregon. I had never had an Oregon Pinot Noir before. Let's just say once I was up there I had my fair share of vineyard and winery tours as well as kept my cabinet stocked with Oregon Pinots - thanks to Trader Joe's. To this day I will pretty much refuse to drink a pinot noir unless it's from the PNW!

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM

• Snooth User: Que Syrah

I am from Chicago and can vow that I have zero interest in Oregon wines, financial or otherwise. The only connection I have to Oregon is that an ex-girlfriend lives in Bend.

That said, it's quite surprising that Oregon Pinots are underrepresented here. (Or, rather, unrepresented.) I really think you should address this in a follow-up on your site. Someone said "but I guess Snooth's entreprenurial interests are not located here," which seems like a slightly conspiratorial theory, but it does hold some water.

If you tasted Oregon Pinots and they simply weren't up to snuff, tell us that. Otherwise, it seems like you're just kowtowing to your advertisers.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Definitely looks like this article has elicited the most comments in the shortest period time of any to date. GregDP, you've hit a nerve here regarding Oregon pinots, it would seem!

I understand that a lot of your tastings depend on samples you're able to gather, and the wine world is huge and growing larger all the time. But Oregon and Washington, IMHO, deserve a closer look and more exposure.

I live in Tokyo now and haven't had feet on the ground in Oregon or Washington for awhile, but I have been trying to drink more Oregon pinots, Washington cabs and other varietals this year. Besides those mentioned above, I've enjoyed pinot noirs from Auteur (Shea), Domaine Drouhin and Soter during my exploratory trekking. All superb wines.

But let's also keep things in perspective. While many Oregon wines are absolutely world class, will certainly carry weight in comparisons with other regions, and are thoroughly enjoyable drinking experiences, with and without food, I personally don't think they are 'better' than the best from the Sonoma Coast or Cote de Nuits...

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Oh, and Greg I do appreciate the excellent tasting notes on the range of California pinots you posted in the article. There are so many wines out there these days (and pinot seems particularly to be on the increase), that it's hard to keep track of so many labels we encounter in the marketplace. I, for one, appreciated the headsup on the bottles you did taste.

Now, how about an article on wines from the Pacific NW?

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM

• Snooth User: cmcknight

I'm from Washington state (read, not a member of the Oregon Wine Council <grin>), but the first thing that struck me was that only one of the wines seemed to be from Oregon, an area well-known for its fine Pinot Noirs. I'm not knocking the other wines, as I'm sure they are quite nice from the taster's perspective, but are we seeing a bit of Pinot Envy here? <grin>

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

An impressive number of people asking for more Oregon wine reviews.

If there are any Oregon vintners reading this, please send us samples, as we'd love to be able to include you in roundups like this: 162 Madison Ave, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10016.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM

• Snooth User: STEED

I'm in the UK. Would like to try Oregon AND Calif. Pinot's. Where in the UK can I get them?
    By the way one of My REAL favourites is a Pinot Noir from Australia-made by PLANTAGANET wines, called 'OMRAH'-yum..
    Steed.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM

• Snooth User: briscor

I must agree that to slight Oregon Pinots is not fair. And I like dmcker's idea for an article devoted to PNW wines.
    I have live in many places including Oregon. Having moved to Florida a few years ago, I really miss visiting the Oregon Wineries ... little pretense and big terrior.
    In addition to the Wineries mentioned by others, I would like to add Patricia Green, Ken Wright, Cristom, Lange, Archery Summit, and there are so many others.
    And I hear that Oregon's 2008 vintage rivals 2002, and is less irregular than the 2002 vnitage. I see a trip to Oregon in my own near future. So hurry up with that article on the wines of the PNW, won't you please!

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:43 PM

• Snooth User: Squasher

We loved the DeLoach Russian River Valley pinot noir during our recent trip to Sonoma and Napa wine country, but overall, I tend to agree with the Oregonians: the quality of the OR pinot noirs surpasses that of California. On the other hand, we had some magnificent syrahs, cabernets, merlots, and Bordeaux and cab blends from the smaller vintners in Sonoma, Dry Creek, and Napa that just blew me away.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:51 PM

• Snooth User: kstolly

You can find Oregon wines in the UK carried by the Wine Treasury, Savage Selections, Whirly Wines, Bibendum, Fields Morris & Verdin, Les Caves de Pyrene, Liberty, Noel Young, Stratfords, and Swig among other importers. In Japan look for Oregon wines from Village Cellars, Orca International, Nakagawa, and Kuramochi and others.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

• Snooth User: STEED

Thanks! for advice on UK suppliers kstolly.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM

• Snooth User: Kutter

Another mid-westerner here (Dublin, OH) and I am also surprised by the lack of Oregon Pinot's.

Happily our mid-west wine cellar is fully stocked with Oregon Pinot's and there is going to be a bottle of Patricia Green Notorious making an appearance at our table on Turkey Day.

Oregon Pinot FTW!

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

• Over the years I have enjoyed some fine Pinot's from the West Coast both north and south. However, for good value and taste I head back to the source...Burgundy France.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM

• Snooth User: neubs

And if anyone is in Anderson Valley, visit Londer. Small but very good.

People should also try Papapietro Perry. Yum. They have plenty of Pinots to choose from- variety.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM

• Snooth User: neubs

Gregory, Gregory. What are we going to do with you when you don't give Oregon Pinots there due... What to do, what to do.

Any number of Pinots from Bergstrom, Patty Green, Prive, DePonte, St, Innocent, Archery Summit. Have you just only been to CA???

And Philip, come out and take a trip! Thanksgiving is an incredible time out here. Touring and Tasting galore!

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

kstolly, are you affiliated with the Oregon wine industry? I've been buying mailorder, since the merchants I work with online provide better selection and pricing (even after shipping, duties, etc.) than realworld merchants in Japan, who often have shockingly high prices....

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

• Snooth User: eibo

I am not affiliated with the Oregon wine industry, but was surprised at seeing no Oregon Pinots on the list. I am a former resident of Portland, and now live in NE Ohio and still seek out Pacific NW wines. Walla Walla WA is also producing some interesting offerings. Forget the imports, the US is producing great Pinot Noirs.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:17 PM

• Snooth User: PeterB59

I'm in France. The French wine you choosed (Valmoissine) is not carateristic of Pinot Noir. The one from Burgundy (Charton) is better but is very basic. You should try a Chambolle Musigny or Echezeaux. Do you know that you can find also superb pinot noir in Champagne : like Ambonnay 1er cru or Bouzy ?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Eibo, I agree about the Walla Walla and other Columbia Valley wines, too. I lived there once, briefly, and have suggested to Snooth that they provide more coverage of Washington and Oregon wines. All these reponses to this article should enhance that probability, I would think, even though the range of areas and producers that Snooth tries to cover is huge and getting larger all the while

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you about your 'forget the imports' remark, though. Burgundy remains the home and source of the largest number of versions representing the best that pinot noir has to offer. I've spent a fair chunk of the past 20 or more years of my wine drinking in searching for good versions from elsewhere. I'm happy the number is increasing these days, mostly from Oregon and Sonoma, though other parts of California like Ojai and Santa Barbara, as well as Argentina and New Zealand, have things to say, too...

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Was curious, so I conducted a search through Snooth's Forum archives and found this item from a year ago:

If you view it you'll see several Oregon pinots in the mix.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

We'll be reaching out to Oregon and Washington based wineries as well as the winery trade groups based out there so we can taste some of the wines and add their reviews to the mix.

In the interim, DM's link above, shows some OR based Pinot's - good find.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

• Snooth User: nouveau

Thanks for all the info on pinots. However, I have never acquired the taste for pinot. I am open, and shall continue tasting diff wines, and so........maybe one day!!!!!

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM

• Yea Greg, you are gonna be gettin some flak from the NW wine drinking crowd. Better duck!

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM

• Snooth User: kosu

I looked for Oregon's famous Pinots. Shame on you for not including a one!

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

[slightly modified repost from above]

We've already reached out to Oregon and Washington based wineries as well as the winery trade groups based out there so we can taste some of the wines and add their reviews to the mix.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Well I am glad to see so many of you taking your favorite wines to heart. As you can see from last years look at Pinot I am a fan of Oregon's Pinots and would be thrilled to have been able to review more than one.

Unfortunately Snooth's request for samples met with a very meager response from Oregon's producers. So let me ask you for your help in getting your wines reviewed on Snooth. Let you favorite producers know that they were missed this time around and that they should add Snooth to their sample distribution list.

I would love to have more wines from the Pacific Northwest to recommend, but we'll need the cooperation of the producers.

I want to thank everyone for responding. I really value your feedback, and constructive criticism. Together we continue to make Snooth a better, more interesting, and more useful place to join with other wine lovers.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

I've got an idea, Greg--why not chase down a bottle of Once Wines California/Oregon Pinot Noir for tasting? I believe it's made from 60% Willamette grapes and 40% Taylor Lane grapes from the Sonoma coast. A *great* value for a little north of $20 (it and the Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara Pinot Noir just south of $20 are my regular go-tos at that price point). Last I checked it was the house wine at French Laundry and a few other choice eating establishments. Can cover both wine areas with this one wine! ;-)

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM

• Snooth User: dbp

I read all these comments and I'm completely confused... Johan Vineyards is in the Willamette Valley, in Oregon, and it was the highest rated wine in this report. Why is everyone saying there were NO Oregon wines? Maybe more would be better, but the Johan is a pretty terrific wine...

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:32 PM

• Snooth User: briscor

dbp- you are absolutely right. I for one missed that Oregon Pinot recommendation. I lived in Oregon (17+ years), but moved a few years ago and have never heard of that winery. Maybe it is new (?). Now I am compelled to check it out. Thanks for correcting the oversight.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM

• Snooth User: dirkwdeyoung

Well, I always put out a few bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape for Thanksgiving and have never had a complaint.

For the other comments, there are so many Pinot Noirs out there, how could any writer cover them all? It is like to write an article, they would have to please every wine public, impossible.

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I will say that our next Pinot article may feature only wines from the PNW. Let's see if we can get 50 lovers of California Pinot as riled up as this hornet's nest has been!

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:48 AM

• 2007 Bliss Vineyards Pinot Noir
    Tasting Notes
    Coming from established vineyards throughout Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino, this Pinot is another great example of well sourced grapes. It shows bright cherry on the nose with a touch of cinnamon. The mouth is full of red fruit and spice which leads to a long, refined finish. This wine beckons for a second glass!

I can drink Bottles of the stuff. It's an amazing find.

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:55 AM

• Snooth User: wineguy04

I have a wine shop in Louisiana and can tell you that after visiting Oregon several years ago I added some 30+ Oregon Pinots to my shelves and those wines quickly became my overall best sellers by varietal and region. Most Oregon wines are as close to Burgundy you'll get in the US. Don't get me wrong - California has some great Pinots but overall can not compete with Oregon. Values like Erath, Benton Lane, Montinore Estate, Willakenzie, Ponzi, King Estate, Cloudline, Walnut City, Belle Vallee, A-Z and the always top notch Archery Summit, Penner-Ash, Gypsy Dancer, Sokol Blosser, Rex Hill, Bergstrom, Domaine Serene, Ken Wright, Panther Creek, WVV - need I go on? Not one of these rated to be in this article...hmmm

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

• Snooth User: ProfPayne

Calling all Pinot Noir lovers... If you can find Castillo de Molina (2007 I think), give it a try! I found it at a local wine shop in Cambridge, MA and couldn't believe the quality. So much balance for under $10 (I bought a case at a little over $8 per bottle!). Strawberry and cherry on the nose with slight herb and smoke notes. Amazing!

Dec 03, 2009 at 9:22 PM

• pinot noir ---- 2004---- france
    mmmmmuuuuuuaaaahhhhh

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:59 PM

• Although I live in Denmark far away from Oregon and California I have tasted quite a few of the better Pinots in the regions - and there are many worldclass wines!
    May I suggest the 2 Pinot Noirs from Ampelos Wine i the Sta Rita Hils - one of the first vineyards in the US to recieve all 3 green certifications - in my opinion the Pinots beat what I have tasted from the Willamette Valey.
    Peter Lyndrup, M.D. and chairman of the Aabenraa Wine Club.

Mar 05, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Thanks Peter.

Sta Rita Hills Pinots are certainly different from those in Oregon. I am making plans soon for a visit to California in the late summer. I hope to be able to visit the Sta Rita Hills than and will keep your suggestion in mind.

Mar 05, 2010 at 8:45 AM