My Favorite Chardonnay Wines

6 outstanding wines from a recent tasting

Next » 1 of 8
My Favorite Chardonnay Wines Why am I drinking Chardonnay when it’s freezing out? Because it is simply always time for Chardonnay. I have to laugh while writing this, not too long ago I was almost of the opinion that it was never time for Chardonnay. I have to admit that I just didn’t understand the wines as well as I might have thought.

I was turned off by the incredibly high frequency of encounters with fat, buttery, indistinct wines, thinking that only Chablis really fit my palate. Well, I was wrong. The more I taste Chardonnay, the more I find that I can and do enjoy the wines.

While reviewing wines, many factors come into play including my personal preferences, but I try to convey the overall quality of each wine even if it isn’t exactly to my tastes.

I’ve recently tasted through a few cases of Chardonnay, and while many wines were excellent, these six wines were the standouts for my personal palate.

Photo courtesy Jeremy Brooks via Flickr/CC

Comments

• You have got to be kidding me. Not one Australian Chardonnay - ever heard of Yarra Valley, Adelaide Hills, Margaret River or Tasmania?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

• Sorry but have to second that comment about Australian chardonnays. I've been "brought up" on Margaret River's finest, but I have to say the best Chardonnay's I've had have come from the cooler climate in the Yarra Valley. Very very nice, subtle, not over oaked with a lovely mineral finish.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

• Snooth User: lbgutman

Not one unoaked chardonnay in the bunch.......how about Joel Gott or Napa Cellars?

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

• Strewth as they say......No Aussies in the list?
    Melony coonawarra and Yarra Valley wines....
    Margaret River. Old fashiooned Hunter Valley styles?
    What about the kiwis, some great buttery, mellow Chardonnays there too, and Catalunya in Spain/Penedes and over border in Collioure?
    Ever tried the Gaja Rossj Bass Chardonnay or Supertuscans
    No, Only California and burgundy.
    Unoaked as well is very popular & has made producers vary the proportion of oak, so we have "new wave" aussies and experiments in Burgundian cellars that improve the wines

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

• Snooth User: WineGuy40

You need to focus on Winderlea Vineyards in Oregon. They are doing a Chardonnay right now that is sublime. In fact, if you can find their 2008, get a case. It is that good.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM