8 Must Try Wines from Chile

Experience all Chile has to offer

« Prev Next » 8 of 10

Carmenere is probably the grape most closely associated with Chile in the minds of wine geeks. It is an outcast from Bordeaux that has found a home in Chile. Only identified in 1994 (before then it was known as Chilean Merlot), Carmenere produces a lovely wine that combines some of the softness of Merlot with the complexity of Cabernet Franc and the depth of flavor of Cabernet Sauvignon.

In some cases, Carmenere is marked with a pronounced green character that recalls tomato leaves and bell pepper. Coming from naturally occurring compounds called pyrazines, these leafy green aromas and flavors can really set Carmenere apart when they are judiciously balanced by rich fruit. Koyle is a new operation taking advantage of biodynamically farmed hillside vineyard to produce one of Chile’s best Carmenere wines.

Must try wine: 2009 Koyle Royale Carmenere

8 Top Wines of Chile

Cool Coast Sauvignon Blanc Casa Silva (2011)
List It
Matetic Chardonnay San Antonio Valley Eq (2010)
List It
Viña Cono Sur Pinot Noir Reserve (2009)
List It
Oveja Negra Carignan Single Vineyard (2010)
List It
Concha Y Toro Syrah Terrunyo (2008)
List It
Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta Red 97js Premier (2010)
List It
Koyle Carmenere Royale (2009)
List It
Concha Frontera Carmenere Chile Valle Central Rapel Colchagua Valley Red (2009)
List It

• Snooth User: ettore

I lived in Santiago for a year and this list is just The tip of The iceberg , Chile has fantástic wines and The Best part is, some are under 10 USD.

May 03, 2012 at 5:44 PM

• Snooth User: hugh27

While these may be OK -I challenge Greg or anyone else to try Valdivieso Single Vineyard Malbec- it makes all of Argentina blush- and the Sauvignon Blanc is world class,-other sleepers are Casa Tamaya Syrah, Carmenere and Cabernet- the second most northerly producer, now organic and sensational wines

May 03, 2012 at 6:12 PM

• Snooth User: jsncruz

Hi mate. I've had the opportunity to get my hands on a Valdivieso Malbec not too long ago! I am not planning to open it any time soon though, but if you have some tasting notes on the kind of heaven it gives, I'm definitely considering more than just a bottle! :) I have a preference for the bolder, medium-to-full bodied reds.

May 03, 2012 at 6:57 PM

• Snooth User: jsncruz

Anakena Pinot Noir is also an excellent choice for the Noir lover on a budget. It's roughly $10-$12 a bottle here in the Philippines.

May 03, 2012 at 6:58 PM

• Snooth User: Rich Tomko

@ettore Please make a list and share with us your fans. http://www.snooth.com/my-lists/ettore/

May 04, 2012 at 11:03 AM

• Snooth User: Rich Tomko

* your favs (and maybe your fans!)

May 04, 2012 at 11:04 AM

• Snooth User: Terence Pang

I tasted Cono Sur's 2010 range not too long ago and I think they're a very smart operation producing competitively priced wines that will be easily accessed by the general public. A good introduction to Chile's ability to produce good-quality Pinot Noirs.

My notes are here:

May 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

• Snooth User: zenSolo

The one non-organic Maipú (Mendoza, ARG) wine natural producer Alberto Cecchin had unqualified praise for back in '08 was a Chilean (gasp!) Sauv Blanc from Viña María,
    I believe they're down in Valle del Maule. A bit pricey, but supposedly worth it ( haven't gotten my hands on any of it yet!)

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:11 PM

• Snooth User: zenSolo

That came out wrong: 'The one non-organic wine Maipú, Argnetina, wine produce Alberto Cecchin had unqualified praise for...' is what I meant. Edit, edit, edit...

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:13 PM

• I love chardonnay white wine. In India very few wineries make wines from this varietal. Off late i had an occasion to drink Australian wine which was a blending of Chardonnay with Viognier. It was a great wine.In India Sula makes good quality wines but they too have not produced wine from Chardonnay. Sula's Reisling white is a quality wine.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:48 AM

• I found this website where you can order wine online and have it shipped directly to you! It's http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/ and they have a list of some great Chilean wines to try here at great prices! Check it out: http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/sto...

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

• Snooth User: Bestofiris

I explored some vineyards in Chile this year, the best cab was WINEMAKERS SELECTION
    CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2008 by IN SITU. They also have some great signature blends. If you can find it here you should definitely try. The price is about $12-15 per bottle.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM